forum

Control your washing machine like a video game

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nachy
Source 1
Source 2

Doing laundry may no longer be the boring, meaningless task it’s been for the past several hundred centuries. In fact, successfully getting your digs clean in the future might depend on how well coordinated you are…and a handful of extra laundry change.

Introducing the “arcade washing machine” by Lee Wei Chen, a Taiwanese graduate student at Kingston University, London.

Chen’s creation combines a traditional standup arcade game with a front-loading coin-operated washing machine, adding both fun and a real challenge to the menial task of washing clothes.

What used to be as easy as the push of a button now requires manipulating a steering wheel, a gear shifter and two buttons.

Chen, 27, came up with the idea after contemplating a more productive use for the “wasted but enjoyable time” he spent playing video games. After realizing the skills he had acquired in the virtual world were impractical in real life, he embarked on a quest to make them useful.

By linking the circuitry of the two devices, the washing cycle is dependent on the user’s gaming skills. Thus, if the gamer sucks at video games, he or she will have to insert more coins in order to complete the cycle.

This may not be the most ingenious machine ever created, but I dare think it’ll be as hard any longer for wives to get their husbands and the kids off the sofa to lend a hand in the laundry room.
Shellghost
In the past, inventing was about taking something we already had and making it better.

Now it's about taking something we already have and making it more tedious/pointless/time-consuming.
Mara
Stay tuned for more news from NachoNews.
Rantai
I still wouldn't do the laundry...
Jinxy
So instead of playing video games while the washing machine works, he plays video games to work the washing machine which achieves the same thing, if not less if the game sucks. Sounds like a way to relieve guilt and persuade self that you are not a waste of the Earth's resources
adam2046

Expected DAYTOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAA, got mediocre minigame compilation.
Backfire
Pop n music?
Shellghost
This is such a massive gimmick that Nintendo have bought the rights.
Mercurial
Washing my clothes meanwhile I play rhythm games?

Give me 10.
mm201
GREAT JOB
YOU ARE GOOD AT WASHING CLOTHES
Vext_old
I am going to be upset if the clothes are not decimated upon failing the game.
Fabi
There should be a game teaching womans how to make delicious sandwiches, I'm dissapointed Mr Washing Machine.
Vext_old

Ever17 wrote:

There should be a game teaching womans how to make delicious sandwiches, I'm dissapointed Mr Washing Machine.
I must pre-order that for Firo.
Firo Prochainezo
I make delicious sandwiches, you just never had the chance to taste them.
Vext_old

Firo Prochainezo wrote:

I make delicious sandwiches, you just never had the chance to taste them.
Because you never made me one, next time I demand delicious sandwiches.
Firo Prochainezo
No
Vext_old
Worst waifu ever.
awp
the game should have been cooking mama
Firo Prochainezo

awp wrote:

the game should have been cooking mama
EVEN BETTER THAN MAMA!
Backfire
Who was that one guy that had a cooking mama avatar and always said shit related to it?
found it, it was Randy.
show more