forum

Loved: Community Voting & Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
Pope Gadget
We put them up because they have a sufficient backing. We don't want to waste spaces. Why is it a surprise if most, if not all of them reach the 80% requirement?

Limited votes hinders great maps in a selection above par. It's unfair if the next selection is full of maps people don't care about.

The vote is there so that it doesn't look like an authority is dictating what people like. We need numbers to confirm what we choose isn't biased garbage.
Backfire

AncuL wrote:

I wrote an essay about my opinion of the current loved voting system at some point when i was bored. Let's just get it off my chest now

-------------

The recent update brought a different mechanic to the way voting works in the loved section, from choosing which map you want to get loved, to choosing if you want the map get loved. I think there's an issue to that.

You see, there's literally no disadvantages for a person to choose what they doubt is a good idea. Back then, we had a limitation to how many maps people can vote. This means that people needed to only choose maps that they deserve loved the most because of the limitations. This also means that having a map be loved was hard and required more exposure and "love" from players compared to other maps in the pool.

With the current one, choosing the maps you think are okay enough to get loved is fine because there isn't any other consequences from doing that. The majority of the people are able to vote all the maps mindlessly because of how it works.

why is voting even done when all the picked maps are going to be loved anyways?
Hey there, I’m one of the taiko captains, so, I know the other modes don’t apply here but I generally agree, my goal is actually to make sure there is an encouragement around maps being voted no if they simply aren’t special enough. I personally increased the % goal fairly high, and we have had a fair amount of maps fail, even two rounds ago 3 out of 5 lost. Simply put, It’s important to me for taiko that it stays at a level of “exclusivity” and difficulty to pass through.

Maps themselves being put up against other maps and having to pick the “most special” dilutes the value of mapping in favor of gimmicks and such, and this system rewards you in different ways. I think it has been awesome and enjoyable for me so far. We put a lot of effort into balancing each batch of maps and such, and I cannot speak for the rest of the captains other than I discussed this all with them at length and we all agreed to different ways of putting forth our sets and presentations, which I respect, however, I don’t mind cutting things down even more if the community demands it.
Topic Starter
Toy

AncuL wrote:

I wrote an essay about my opinion of the current loved voting system at some point when i was bored. Let's just get it off my chest now

-------------

The recent update brought a different mechanic to the way voting works in the loved section, from choosing which map you want to get loved, to choosing if you want the map get loved. I think there's an issue to that.

You see, there's literally no disadvantages for a person to choose what they doubt is a good idea. Back then, we had a limitation to how many maps people can vote. This means that people needed to only choose maps that they deserve loved the most because of the limitations. This also means that having a map be loved was hard and required more exposure and "love" from players compared to other maps in the pool.

With the current one, choosing the maps you think are okay enough to get loved is fine because there isn't any other consequences from doing that. The majority of the people are able to vote all the maps mindlessly because of how it works.

why is voting even done when all the picked maps are going to be loved anyways?

Part of the issue of the previous system is that while limiting the number of maps you are able to vote on per week makes Loved category seem more of a reward, it also was highly dependent on what other maps are put up for Loved that week as well.

So imagine a map with 150 favorites is put up for vote alongside 9 500 favorite maps, it'll lose. However, if it's put up alongside 9 maps with 30 favorites, it'll win. This hypothetical 150 favorites map could be perfectly adequate for Loved (or not), but its fate is determined solely by which maps it competes against.

Also, I understand the issue that there's not much of a downside to picking "yes" versus "no", but I maps are being voted "No" to, so not everything is entering the category because the requirements are too easy, it's just that there's sooo many high quality maps that have been deserving of Loved for a long time.

The basic premise of voting is to allow the community as a whole the final choice in selecting maps for Loved. It wouldn't be a community project if the captains had final say in what enters or not.
AncuL

Toy wrote:

Part of the issue of the previous system is that while limiting the number of maps you are able to vote on per week makes Loved category seem more of a reward, it also was highly dependent on what other maps are put up for Loved that week as well.

So imagine a map with 150 favorites is put up for vote alongside 9 500 favorite maps, it'll lose. However, if it's put up alongside 9 maps with 30 favorites, it'll win. This hypothetical 150 favorites map could be perfectly adequate for Loved (or not), but its fate is determined solely by which maps it competes against.

Also, I understand the issue that there's not much of a downside to picking "yes" versus "no", but I maps are being voted "No" to, so not everything is entering the category because the requirements are too easy, it's just that there's sooo many high quality maps that have been deserving of Loved for a long time.

The basic premise of voting is to allow the community as a whole the final choice in selecting maps for Loved. It wouldn't be a community project if the captains had final say in what enters or not.
What if we add another vote in which we ask people if they want the "failed" maps to be reinserted in the next vote? this still ensures that something like what you talked about don't last for very long
Pope Gadget

AncuL wrote:

What if we add another vote in which we ask people if they want the "failed" maps to be reinserted in the next vote? this still ensures that something like what you talked about don't last for very long
Isn't part of your complaint regarding the possibility that most people 'will vote yes anyway because there's no downside to it'?
Also, this'll just congest things.
Bastionior
Grande Familia Map when xO?
i said because me(and a lot of Brasilian i guess) send a lot of times but the docs haven't updated that information(the docs has said u haven't played yet) I hope I'm not disturbing you. :thinking:
Topic Starter
Toy

Kalindraz wrote:

Grande Familia Map when xO?
i said because me(and a lot of Brasilian i guess) send a lot of times but the docs haven't updated that information(the docs has said u haven't played yet) I hope I'm not disturbing you. :thinking:

Sorry, it's difficult to keep the public document updated after I try maps/update favorite counts/add new submitted maps/label Loved maps.

Do know however, all submissions are indeed being received and looked at. Grande Familia in particular (along with the French community Poudre de Perlimpinpin map) seem to be like a big meme that I want to hold off on nomination. It's difficult to tell whether it's something the community at large would want Loved, or if it's simply a circlejerk within a small dedicated community.
AncuL

Pope Gadget wrote:

Isn't part of your complaint regarding the possibility that most people 'will vote yes anyway because there's no downside to it'?
Also, this'll just congest things.
I'm taking about reverting to the original system and adding this mechanism, rather than improving the current one
And i don't know about the congestion things but okay
Topic Starter
Toy

AncuL wrote:

This would fix the issue of maps still getting a chance, but wouldn't it just make the process slower? Like, if people want a map Loved, then it should be Loved, this just makes it so less maps get in each week it feels.
tatatat
is there going to be some time that favorite counts are updated? I think checking up on active community feedback is important. some maps were submitted 3 months ago. My map's favorites has increased by 50% since when it was initially nominated, and I've checked other maps, and I've seen some other map's favorites have increased considerably too. Or maybe updating favorite counts upon another nomination. idk :p
Topic Starter
Toy

tatatat wrote:

is there going to be some time that favorite counts are updated? I think checking up on active community feedback is important. some maps were submitted 3 months ago. My map's favorites has increased by 50% since when it was initially nominated, and I've checked other maps, and I've seen some other map's favorites have increased considerably too. Or maybe updating favorite counts upon another nomination. idk :p

Every time I get a duplicate submission in the google form, I update favorite count.
tatatat

Toy wrote:

tatatat wrote:

Every time I get a duplicate submission in the google form, I update favorite count.
that makes sense, okay c:
Vulkin
Is it possible for people to get a PM telling them "Your Beatmap is currently going in the process of loved" for when the beatmap appears in the google docks? imo appearing out of nowhere at the voting stage is too late during the process imo.
Jole

Vulkin wrote:

Is it possible for people to get a PM telling them "Your Beatmap is currently going in the process of loved" for when the beatmap appears in the google docks? imo appearing out of nowhere at the voting stage is too late during the process imo.

I completely agree. Previously I've had something loved while literally having no idea because I wasn't informed about it at all. It's not a good thing if you'd like to make changes before it gets loved
benqbenq
What if the number of my map's favorites on the spreadsheet is wrong? Is it gonna be updated?
Mismagius
I believe it gets updated everytime the map is submitted to the spreadsheet by another person (manually updated by Toy, mind you)
Topic Starter
Toy

benqbenq wrote:

What if the number of my map's favorites on the spreadsheet is wrong? Is it gonna be updated?

Like Mismagius said, everything is updated manually, if it gets resubmitted I update, or you can poke me about it if it's a huge change or puts it over the 30 favorite mark.
benqbenq

Toy wrote:

benqbenq wrote:

Like Mismagius said, everything is updated manually, if it gets resubmitted I update, or you can poke me about it if it's a huge change or puts it over the 30 favorite mark.

I mean the number of favourites of my map on the spreadsheet and the number of favourites on the siteare different. Should I notify somebody?
Smug Nanachi
how many std maps get picked per 1 round?
Topic Starter
Toy

Smug Nanachi wrote:

how many std maps get picked per 1 round?

Right now 5, but we're planning to bump it back up to 10 every two weeks
J1NX1337
I'm not sure if this was answered before somewhere, but what's your policy on multi-mode mapsets?
Zak
Multi-mode mapsets are 100% fine, though usually we will have the captains for each mode look over the proper difficulties to make sure they're of at least some quality, worst case scenario is just specific difficulties not being loved while the rest of the set is.
JamesHappy
I'd like to correct this one in osu!mania spreadsheet since i can't do request any corrections in the spreadsheet.

It says this map was loved but, it's not. It is still on graveyard.
69nova
GrEaT
LeonardWTF
:3
diminon
wahidsa
-_-
Sayfee
Hey31600
Fl4ndre Scarlet
What happened to osu!catch map submissions list? Some unlisted maps getting the votings.. something is wrong.
[Shiny]
I have a question regarding the supposed "priority" of the maps. How does that work? In the spreadsheet it's indicated that older maps and/or maps with more favorites has more priority, but in the reality it doesn't seem to be applied when choosing the maps
clayton
@ShinyNinetales: there's no hard value that determines which maps the captains will pick each round, but generally having a higher priority on the sheet helps

I've noticed this too, though I usually don't give it much thought since all of the "approved" maps will likely be put up for vote sometime in the future anyway
Juuuuuuuuul
Disappointed since a few weeks seeing that close to all picks are Extra diffs, please select more full spread mapsets.
clayton
passed it along to the team, if possible hopefully we can try to get some easier maps in sometimes. most of the map submissions we get only contain higher difficulties, though :/
[ Eon Fox ]

clayton wrote:

passed it along to the team, if possible hopefully we can try to get some easier maps in sometimes. most of the map submissions we get only contain higher difficulties, though :/

You only have about 10 or so full spread mapsets among the 607 mapsets currently bearing a Stamp of Approval. Wouldn't it kinda make more sense just to get those ones out of the way first?
clayton
no, I don't see why that would make sense. they aren't any more eligible for Loved than the rest of the 600

it is unfortunate that such a small amount cover large spreads; there's not much we could do about that though
SergeyMishin_DELETED
Can anyone explain what does "haven't tried" or "Stamp of approval" means in google sheet. Aren't captains just looking throught submitted maps and choosing which one they like the most?
[ Eon Fox ]

clayton wrote:

no, I don't see why that would make sense. they aren't any more eligible for Loved than the rest of the 600

it is unfortunate that such a small amount cover large spreads; there's not much we could do about that though

I was merely stating my stance from the viewpoint that, compared to maps with less than a full spread (E-N-H-I-X) worth of difficulties, maps that not only have such spreads but have much larger spreads (of which there are extremely few) tend to take much more time and effort to assess and process.

I'm saying that it might be prudent to at least give higher priority for inclusion in polls, not for them to all be put into one or two nomination cycles. Perhaps one every few rounds of the polls, for example.

SergeyMishin wrote:

Can anyone explain what does "haven't tried" or "Stamp of approval" means in google sheet. Aren't captains just looking throught submitted maps and choosing which one they like the most?

Stamp of Approval: This category is for beatmaps that have already been approved for eventual inclusion in the polls for future nominated. The priority assigned to these remains, to this date, without concrete definition, and as such, beatmaps are nominated at the Captains' discretion.

Haven't Tried: This category is for beatmaps that, though neither incomplete nor outright rejected based on the few possible disqualifying criteria in the Loved process, have not yet been approved for future inclusion in polls. This does not inherently mean that the beatmaps haven't been tried.

WIP/Unsure: This category is for beatmaps that, though not outright rejected based on the few possible disqualifying criteria in the Loved process, have been deemed as either incomplete or are still being debated as to whether or not the beatmaps truly belong in Loved in the first place.

Not Enough Favourites: This category is for beatmaps that, though submitted for Loved, do not yet meet the minimum favourite requirements (30 favourites). It is unclear whether or not these maps have the potential to be qualified for Loved in the event that their favourite count rises enough.

Rejected - This category is for maps that, though submitted for Loved, have been rejected for any reason that disqualifies them from continuing further into the Loved process. There are a plethora of reasons why this may happen, and the following are the most prominent and likely reasonings:

1. The beatmap author has contacted the Loved staff and explicitly refused permission for their map to be Loved, whatever the reason that might be. This can be reversed at any time if the beatmap author changes their mind afterwards.
  2. The beatmap in question has already been qualified/ranked, or the beatmap author has contacted the Loved staff with the explicit intention of do so with their map. This can be reversed at any time in the case of the latter if the beatmap author changes their mind afterwards.
  3. The map is a re-upload of someone else's map (unless the map was originally made by the new uploader). This can be reversed at any time if the original beatmap author gives permission for the beatmap.
  4. The user is a banned or restricted user. This can be reversed later if the beatmap author is reinstated afterwards.
  5. The beatmap in question is stolen from someone else. This can be reversed at any time if the original beatmap author gives permission for the beatmap.
  6. The map contains illegal or forbidden aspects (Such as BG, Audio, Video, Copyright Infringement).
  7. The beatmap breaks the mechanics by which osu functions (auto-fail, breaking score limit, client or PC crashes/freezes when playing beatmap, invalid object types).
clayton

[ Eon Fox ] wrote:

Perhaps one every few rounds of the polls, for example.

that's what we're doing :D
BillyBaka
i was wondering why so many old maps that was ranked and totaly fine before got modded and in loved state... ?

im sad to see my old classics being altered, anyway just asking ... thx
show more