forum

G&R bait and attack problem, also that's mean!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mio Winter
In the news today: this thread.

Someone posted a screenshot of their 1xmiss on a hard map (noteworthy!), got one really rude comment, another somewhat rude comment (edit: Taiga's comment isn't really rude, clarified in post below), and then the thread was promptly locked. I'm not sure why. (Edit: because it was clickbaity?) On the one hand, the pinned G&R rules (you all read those before posting, right? of course we did) clearly says:

"This forum isn't made for personal diaries and blogs. Instead, move your progress experience to your userpage. It's not necessary to have other people commentating your progress and potentially leaving shit posts there."

On the other hand,

I was given the impression that discussing our scores was an OK use of this subforum, because I read the line in the image below and because people seemed to be doing it without rebuke before. And why wouldn't it be OK? Humans seem to have a fun time discussing their achievements and jockying for bragging rights, so I see no reason to intervene. But first saying it's OK and then being rude at others for doing it definitely seems like a not-OK thing to do. Instead, it's MEAN.

Uh, so yeah, I just thought I'd highlight the conflict in the rules and maybe encourage someone to change the rules (I prefer this!) or the subforum purpose.

The reason I prefer the rule-change is simple. 1) I think hearing about other players' progress is interesting, so it benefits me, and 2) other players want to share news about their progress, so it benefits them. If the objection is "but if everyone started talking about their scores in this subforum, there would be no room for anything else!" then I would just point out that everyone already believes they're allowed to do so (see the image above) and the subforum is currently not swamped with threads like that. If that changes, you could just change the rules.
N0thingSpecial
The title says kill me, I think that’s a good enough reason.

Also “discuss your score” is blatantly obvious not possible with how generic and common the score was.
chainpullz
N0thingSpecial

chainpullz wrote:

He would just quote deva’s thread, this isn’t good enough for mio winter here

Look if your post looks like a Facebook click bait video then you shouldn’t be surprised it would get the lock
KupcaH

N0thingSpecial wrote:

The title says kill me, I think that’s a good enough reason.

Also “discuss your score” is blatantly obvious not possible with how generic and common the score was.
This guy knows
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

N0thingSpecial wrote:

You mean if everyone posted about scores similar to the one that person posted about, there would be too many posts like that in the forum? (I may be misunderstanding your point. Tell me if I am.)

But the forum isn't already filled to the brim with such posts. (I think the current rate of such posts seems fine.) And assuming no one actually reads the forum rules anyway (except me, I actually did that the first time I posted, but I'm weird), changing the rules won't actually change posting habits much. Changing the rule will instead change the rate at which such posts are flamed by fellow forum members and locked by moderators.
Linck5
I might come out as a socially naive person, but in what way is "kill me..." offensive?
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

Linck5 wrote:

I might come out as a socially naive person, but in what way is "kill me..." offensive?
I also wondered why people reacted to this, but the reason is just that many people find clickbaiting to be really annoying or morally bad. It's a cheaty way to try to get attention. I remember seeing the "kill me.." thread and I thought for a second that it might be someone posting a suicide letter or something. Although I doubt the author actually intended to make people click the thread by tricking them about the post's content.
Linck5
Understandable. That sure sounds like clickbait, but may not have been intentional given how casual of a post it was.
autoteleology
This entire subforum has a serious attitude problem. It's certainly rubbed off on me over time. I've never been on a forum that made me feel so hostile. Maybe if a large percentage of the posters here weren't trying to be the internet's next top jaded meme warrior it would be different.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

Emersyne wrote:

This entire subforum has a serious attitude problem. It's certainly rubbed off on me over time. I've never been on a forum that made me feel so hostile. Maybe if a large percentage of the posters here weren't trying to be the internet's next top jaded meme warrior it would be different.
Resist it! I believe in you! :p
-Makishima S-

Mio Winter wrote:

Someone posted a screenshot of their 1xmiss on a hard map (noteworthy!), got one really rude comment, another somewhat rude comment (maybe excusable because that was just Taiga being Taiga), and then the thread was promptly locked. I'm not sure why. (Edit: because it was clickbaity?) On the one hand, the pinned G&R rules (you all read those before posting, right? of course we did) clearly says:

"This forum isn't made for personal diaries and blogs. Instead, move your progress experience to your userpage. It's not necessary to have other people commentating your progress and potentially leaving shit posts there."

On the other hand,

I was polite in my post, dunno what is your problem. No personal issues there, no swears, nothing what is even slightly against inter-personal communication rules. Elaborate or please, do not provoke.

Additionally:
Rules got updated 3 years ago, scores were seen at the beginning of GnR and also, not often. Iirc, only administrator + peppy can update subforum description, if you have problem with this - please contact them.

Mio Winter wrote:

I was given the impression that discussing our scores was an OK use of this subforum, because I read the line in the image below and because people seemed to be doing it without rebuke before. And why wouldn't it be OK? Humans seem to have a fun time discussing their achievements and jockying for bragging rights, so I see no reason to intervene. But first saying it's OK and then being rude at others for doing it definitely seems like a not-OK thing to do. Instead, it's MEAN.
Read above, discussing scores is not ok here from past... 3 years or so? Even more if I recall correctly.

Mio Winter wrote:

Uh, so yeah, I just thought I'd highlight the conflict in the rules and maybe encourage someone to change the rules (I prefer this!) or the subforum purpose.

The reason I prefer the rule-change is simple. 1) I think hearing about other players' progress is interesting, so it benefits me, and 2) other players want to share news about their progress, so it benefits them. If the objection is "but if everyone started talking about their scores in this subforum, there would be no room for anything else!" then I would just point out that everyone already believes they're allowed to do so (see the image above) and the subforum is currently not swamped with threads like that. If that changes, you could just change the rules.
Gameplay and Ranking is mainly about gameplay issues, ranking issues, your thought about this two. Forum doesn't have score related subforum, hence, I was thinking about proposition of Weekly Achievement Thread like in reddit for people who just hate /r/osugame. Personally, I don't see any benefit of this thread, same as way to implementation. It could just add more work to mods to pin/unpin, check for NSFW content (which include skin elements used in score screen) etc. Too many cons towards too little pros.

Emersyne wrote:

You didn't made a good first impression here, sorry pal. As someone who sit in GnR good 3 years and was active for over 2 years, I can say that GnR is very friendly and helpfull place if person who post first isn't a hypocrit / passive-agressive / not willing to listen random noname. Great amount of my osu!friends are from GnR. Maybe it is time to change your attitude, look at yourself and try to live with others?
N0thingSpecial

Mio Winter wrote:

You mean if everyone posted about scores similar to the one that person posted about, there would be too many posts like that in the forum? (I may be misunderstanding your point. Tell me if I am.)

But the forum isn't already filled to the brim with such posts. (I think the current rate of such posts seems fine.) And assuming no one actually reads the forum rules anyway (except me, I actually did that the first time I posted, but I'm weird), changing the rules won't actually change posting habits much. Changing the rule will instead change the rate at which such posts are flamed by fellow forum members and locked by moderators.
No, you could replace the score with cookiezi’s 1 miss on blue zenith it would still be just as pointless to discuss, hence why dickheads like me would meme it to hell, and moderators don’t like it. No matter how insightful you are at the game, no matter how much data you collected from the game, no matter how much time you’ve spent on this game, you still can’t add anything more meaningful to a post with a 1 miss score, a title that says kill me and a row emoji spam done unironically.

Yes there’s no inherit harm to having post like these, but are there any merits in posting this? You might say lock is underserving, but does the post warrant any type of meaningful discussion in the first place?

BUT NOTHINGSPECIAL YOURE BEING MEAN AND PEOPLE HAVE FEELINGS. I can’t control what others feel, but if their intention was not to create meaningful discussion I sure as hell don’t need to care about their intentions or feelings, the moment you post something pointless you disregarded the intentions of people who set up and contributed to G&R, and people are the reflection of what you are.
B1rd
Remember jokes = microagressions. We need to PC this shit up

As for the rest of you, remove the plank in your own eye. It's not like you ever talk about anything interesting. But we gotta have our oldfag hate circlejerk against some new guy that broke the unwritten forum codes.
autoteleology

[Taiga] wrote:

You didn't made a good first impression here, sorry pal. As someone who sit in GnR good 3 years and was active for over 2 years, I can say that GnR is very friendly and helpfull place if person who post first isn't a hypocrit / passive-agressive / not willing to listen random noname. Great amount of my osu!friends are from GnR. Maybe it is time to change your attitude, look at yourself and try to live with others?
I have never, not even once, seen you post something that wasn't either about yourself or at someone else's expense.

How exactly have you contributed to this being a "friendly and helpfull" place?

B1rd wrote:

As for the rest of you, remove the plank in your own eye. It's not like you ever talk about anything interesting. But we gotta have our oldfag hate circlejerk against some new guy that broke the unwritten forum codes.
Not calling people who just joined the forum autistic retards = PC culture?

I can only imagine what you think the ideal forum enviromnent should be.

And as someone who apparently lurks almost exclusively in a thread called, and I quote, "ITT we post shit that is neither funny nor interesting", when have you ever posted anything interesting, much less an OP, for this explanation to be remotely credible?
kai99
omg! XD

you haven't seen that he posted the same kind of thread three times and the mods had to delete the other ones because this "omg i suck i want to die" was getting spammy! XD
Sandy Hoey
This doesn’t belong in G&R :thinking:
kai99
request to move to ot
Sandy Hoey
Request to move OT to ... anywhere else
-Makishima S-

Emersyne wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

I have never, not even once, seen you post something that wasn't either about yourself or at someone else's expense.

By giving tons of good advises to newbies regards game client, game mechanic, calculations and general gameplay.
Yes, I am not a nice person and I am fairly straight forward but to be honest, one of this "newbies" who got trashed by me like one and half year ago, trashed, I mean by pointing his bad scores, bad acc, his bad attitude is now higher ranked than me, he is still active and I still tend to talk with him like good friends.
I contributed here a lot, not as being "friendly fairy" but just straight forward cold guy who point you out what is wrong with "something".
kthx
B1rd

Emersyne wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Not calling people who just joined the forum autistic retards = PC culture?

I can only imagine what you think the ideal forum enviromnent should be.

And as someone who apparently lurks almost exclusively in a thread called, and I quote, "ITT we post shit that is neither funny nor interesting", when have you ever posted anything interesting, much less an OP, to make this claim?
Look at the number under my name and tell me what you think. Also people are hostile to you not just because there are perpetually angry people here like Taiga, but because you're an idiot.

Mio Winter wrote:

Linck5 wrote:

I also wondered why people reacted to this, but the reason is just that many people find clickbaiting to be really annoying or morally bad. It's a cheaty way to try to get attention. I remember seeing the "kill me.." thread and I thought for a second that it might be someone posting a suicide letter or something. Although I doubt the author actually intended to make people click the thread by tricking them about the post's content.
Suicide letters on G&R, now that would be a useful break from the monotony.
Fxjlk

Mio Winter wrote:

Someone posted a screenshot of their 1xmiss on a hard map (noteworthy!), got one really rude comment, another somewhat rude comment (maybe excusable because that was just Taiga being Taiga), and then the thread was promptly locked. I'm not sure why.
Discussing scores is sort of OK if it is a joke or actually has substance. However if you are being self centered, complaining or edgy, like in that thread then it is unacceptable. You could say that the joke "kill me" makes it an acceptable thread as it detracts from the selfishness of posting your own score but since the joke is bad then it is a bad thread. This makes the thread one that fits into the category of "diary" and no one except the OP wants the thread to exist.

Examples of somewhat passable score posting is listed below

t/658423
t/660062
t/657182

If you still are unsure about posting your score on G&R then don't do it. Generally score threads are not that great and should be avoided.

Emersyne wrote:

I don't mean to be rude but I think it would be good to consider if your perspective is part of the problem. You can see people trying to be funny as "meme warriors" or you can see them as harmless idiots trying to learn how to be funny. There is nothing wrong with unfunny jokes (as long as they are humble about it)

Sandy Hoey wrote:

This doesn’t belong in G&R :thinking:
This thread is about posting in G&R, how is this meant to be off topic?

B1rd wrote:

Look at the number under my name and tell me what you think. Also people are hostile to you not just because there are perpetually angry people here like Taiga, but because you're an idiot.
I have to agree with Taiga and B1rd, I constantly disagree with people here in G&R but pretty much everyone is respectful argues in good faith. (even when I am a bit of a dick sometimes and I probably don't deserve it)
autoteleology

[Taiga] wrote:

Emersyne wrote:

By giving tons of good advises to newbies regards game client, game mechanic, calculations and general gameplay.
In other news, some people say I'm the best poster on the forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

Why don't you try posting some actual examples, and then explain how those examples outweigh the ten posts per example that are anything but.

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

However if you are being self centered, complaining or edgy, like in that thread then it is unacceptable. You could say that the joke "kill me" makes it an acceptable thread as it detracts from the selfishness of posting your own score but since the joke is bad then it is a bad thread.

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

You can see people trying to be funny as "meme warriors" or you can see them as harmless idiots trying to learn how to be funny. There is nothing wrong with unfunny jokes (as long as they are humble about it)
Don't you think these viewpoints are kind of contradictory?

Also, what you see as people trying to be be funny, I see as people acting in bad faith because they're not good enough to contribute anything useful or interesting, but still want people to give them attention. These kinds of people, in my opinion, are wastes of space.

B1rd wrote:

Look at the number under my name and tell me what you think.
I post a lot therefore my posts are quality. Bold strategy there, Cotton.

Personally, I tend to believe it's usually the opposite, for the same reason that cafeteria food is bullshit. Quantity undermines quality. I remember ZenithPhantasm having like, what, a 4,000+ post count?

B1rd wrote:

Also people are hostile to you not just because there are perpetually angry people here like Taiga, but because you're an idiot.
This, from the person whose main form of argument is name calling. Autistic is practically your favorite word. You wouldn't recognize people being perpetually angry because it describes you perfectly and it's just normal to you. Most abusive people think their behavior is normal.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

[Taiga] wrote:

Mio Winter wrote:

... another somewhat rude comment (maybe excusable because that was just Taiga being Taiga) ...
I was polite in my post, dunno what is your problem. No personal issues there, no swears, nothing what is even slightly against inter-personal communication rules. Elaborate or please, do not provoke.
Actually, I'm just deeply sorry. I tried rereading your comment with a different perspective and it didn't seem rude at all. When I first read it, it sounded like "this is not your private diary" was an attempt at mockery of the person, but it was just a reasoning why the post was bad (and why it was against the rules). Is my bad. :c

N0thingSpecial wrote:

No, you could replace the score with cookiezi’s 1 miss on blue zenith it would still be just as pointless to discuss, hence why dickheads like me would meme it to hell, and moderators don’t like it. No matter how insightful you are at the game, no matter how much data you collected from the game, no matter how much time you’ve spent on this game, you still can’t add anything more meaningful to a post with a 1 miss score, a title that says kill me and a row emoji spam done unironically.

Yes there’s no inherit harm to having post like these, but are there any merits in posting this? You might say lock is underserving, but does the post warrant any type of meaningful discussion in the first place?

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

Discussing scores is sort of OK if it is a joke or actually has substance. However if you are being self centered, complaining or edgy, like in that thread then it is unacceptable. You could say that the joke "kill me" makes it an acceptable thread as it detracts from the selfishness of posting your own score but since the joke is bad then it is a bad thread. This makes the thread one that fits into the category of "diary" and no one except the OP wants the thread to exist.
I never thought posts like those were helpfwl for getting better, or for starting meaningfwl discussions. I just appreciate them as "Hey, look at me I'm cool and here's why: [screenshot that tries to justify claim that I am cool]!". It's like a basic human interaction. Bragging. And then having others notice it and brag in return or congratulate or jealous or whatever. I want to enable human interactions like those because people like being social? And even if only the poster appreciated the thread, then that would be good enough a reason to not ban it, as long as no one else finds the thread too annoying (which, I guess many here do...). Personally, I kinda like seeing players report on their progress. Even if they do it in a way that reveals low social intelligence.

Saying hello to your neighbour doesn't actually need to lead to a meaningfwl discussion or help you get better at anything, but I still wouldn't ban those interactions.

Also in the news, N0thingSpecial totally agrees with me on everything:

N0thingSpecial wrote:

PEOPLE HAVE FEELINGS
N0thingSpecial
lol
kai99
love u b1rd
Fxjlk

Emersyne wrote:

Don't you think these viewpoints are kind of contradictory?

Also, what you see as people trying to be be funny, I see as people acting in bad faith because they're not good enough to contribute anything useful or interesting, but still want people to give them attention. These kinds of people, in my opinion, are wastes of space.
Wanting attention is fine if they are humble about it. The post that was locked is not humble because the joke was out of the posters frustration from the choke on the map. The poster did not want discussion or to be funny, the poster wanted to vent their frustration.

Posters who are unfunny are different, just being unfunny in itself does not make the poster not humble. You cannot judge a person based on their content, the context in which the content is posted is important. "Kill me" can be funny given the right context, it can also be humble.

Mio Winter wrote:

I never thought posts like those were helpfwl for getting better, or for starting meaningfwl discussions. I just appreciate them as "Hey, look at me I'm cool and here's why: [screenshot that tries to justify claim that I am cool]!". It's like a basic human interaction. Bragging. And then having others notice it and brag in return or congratulate or jealous or whatever. I want to enable human interactions like those because people like being social? And even if only the poster appreciated the thread, then that would be good enough a reason to not ban it, as long as no one else finds the thread too annoying (which, I guess many here do...). Personally, I kinda like seeing players report on their progress. Even if they do it in a way that reveals low social intelligence.

Saying hello to your neighbour doesn't actually need to lead to a meaningfwl discussion or help you get better at anything, but I still wouldn't ban those interactions.
Banning shitty score posting is a lot different to banning hello. Hello is an open invitation to discussion, score posting is not an open invitation because the topic is the posters score. You say that getting rid of these posts will make the forum less social but i disagree. There are far more interesting things to talk about, and a score in itself has zero value for encouraging actual discussion.
-Makishima S-

Emersyne wrote:

In other news, some people say I'm the best poster on the forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

Why don't you try posting some actual examples, and then explain how those examples outweigh the ten posts per example that are anything but.
I am not even interested in taking you out of mistake. If you want example of contribution, search for GnR community event lead by me.

In your last "discussion" I was prepared to swap front and bomb you with pure arguments, problems and put you into wall but after last post where you simply quit it with "your englando is bad" (frankly, even non-native english speakers didn't had problem with understanding my post), I am not even interested in going into any discussion with you. Sorry, waste of time for someone who from lack of arguments turn into "your englando is bad" (very well known behavior, especially in child community).

As I initially said, look at yourself, maybe it is time to stop playing "wise man", start being humble when someone point out your problems from 3rd person perspective and change it? I can assure you it will help with communicating here.

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

Wanting attention is fine if they are humble about it. The post that was locked is not humble because the joke was out of the posters frustration from the choke on the map. The poster did not want discussion or to be funny, the poster wanted to vent their frustration.

Posters who are unfunny are different, just being unfunny in itself does not make the poster not humble. You cannot judge a person based on their content, the context in which the content is posted is important. "Kill me" can be funny given the right context, it can also be humble.
Nuff said, pretty much ^^THIS^^
show more