forum

Combo based scoring??

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
caim1231
So I just got done playing a song, and despite having 3 times the combo and only .19% less acc, I only beat my previous score by 2k points. However on other songs ill have 3% less acc, but a 300 combo vs a 200 combo puts it ahead of the higher acc play by a good amount, so why did it only improve by 2k points... this was a much better play than my last but its worth no more. http://prntscr.com/h6odp9
Tripletth
DJKhaled
the fact of the matter is that no individual number is going to tell you how much higher your score will be 80% of the time
if it's 300 combo vs 200 combo then yeah, you will most likely get a higher score with 300 since you're much more likely to hit the bonus score cap (unless you're replacing misses with more 100s/50s)
however, with the two scores you're comparing, there's a lot more that can factor into the overall score
did you get your first miss early or late? did you get more 200s, 100s, or 50s than your previous run? where in the map did you get those? was your max count significantly lower?
it's just really complicated, as the wiki link above shows
so while working to combo more of a map does help, you don't want to do it at the cost of consistency
Edgar_Figaro
Yeah basically just to add to what DJKhaled said, the entire "Bonus 50% of the score" really makes figuring out what score is better almost impossible.

I've actually had scores before where I had a play that was better in every single category and yet it was still a worse score. (Ratio, 200's, 100's, 50's & Misses)
This is alot to due with the function of bonus. As a miss "resets" bonus, it is much worse to 5 200's then miss and then get 500 300's than it is to get 5 300's then miss and after that get 5 200's. The reason for this is that while your as "max bonus" the 200's are not only giving less points from the raw score half but also they are reducing your bonus amount by 8% each. While after the miss (since the miss puts your bonus all the way to 0%) all the 200's are doing is reducing the raw score (and not building bonus but this is far less than the bonus loss in the other scenario)

Also missing in an easy section hurts more than missing a few extra times in a challenging section. This is also due to the bonus system as each reset when your at max bonus hurts alot, while a reset where you haven't built it up much doesn't really do much. So for these reasons it is completely possible to get a "better score" and have worse numbers in every single hit judgement section.
Vladimir Puchin
I love to show this whenever someone asks about mania scoring.

Yyorshire wrote: