forum

Question about star difficulties on old map

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Linck5
This map: t/77083

I was playing it earlier on the Insane difficulty (3.39*) and noticed the high hp drain rate. Then I thought, this shouldn't be 3* with this drain rate. 3* maps are usually much easier. Then I went to the beatmap topic, and noticed that the Insane difficulty is listed as 5 stars. Does anybody know why is that and how does that work? Probably something to do with the topic being 5 years old.
Kyrari
Really old maps used to have a different kind star rating system which scales according to difficulty settings (HP, CS, OD) and not according to how hard the map actually is while playing, and also basically rates anything above hard as a 5* and you can still see it in the map's original thread (it also only goes from 1 to 5 star so you pretty much have no idea how hard a map would be when playing with insanes).

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/318109 also used to be pretty funny since the 7* diff used to be rated as a 4*... somehow

Meanwhile the current star rating system doesn't take into account the drain rate from a map, since if you can hit everything already then a map having more drain doesn't really make the map harder to do (just harder to pass).
Topic Starter
Linck5
Ah I see, cool. Yea I don't like much high drain rates like this, the map is not that hard for my level, but the drain rate makes so that you cannot make mistakes or even if you hit all the notes but in a bad timing, you still fail. Feels bad =/