forum

Modding v2 feedback / brainstorming thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
MaridiuS

Nepuri wrote:

I do side with most of Noffy's arguments and would prefer if modv1 would be brought back, or atleast remained a viable alternative that will ALWAYS be accessible similar to fallback builds of the game.

Another argument id like to present would be the inability to measure a modders activity right now, which is a criteria for applying as a BN, which might be a big deal.

Right now activity is measured in KUDOSU and MOD POSTS per month.
Its noticeable that first of all, KUDOSU are becoming a scarce resource.
Even scarier is that, MOD POSTS are defined as a POST in a FORUM which has recieved KUDOSU. As KUDOSU dont even exist on modv2 yet, this is clearly not possible.
Currently, as modv2 is more or less forced upon all newer maps, making MOD POSTS will become harder and harder, thus the measureable activity goes DOWN.
What is the result? A very inconveniencing situation for everyone wanting to maintain a steady and *measureable* activity to be able to apply for BN. If this issue is not solved in a way or another soon enough, either by redefining the measurement of activity, or through other means that includes modv2, BN applications will have to be put on hold pretty much and if that goes on for long enough, it might cause some minor or major problems in the mapping community.

This is probably a pretty urgent issue that should be solved soon, as BNship highly depends on a measurement of activity which currently is NOT compatible with modv2.
I totally agree with this, it was very rash to force the modv2 without a reward system in use and no insight on what might further BN tests be about. It should be made clear asap. Anyways thank you everyone for participating in the discussion, I will update the OP tomorrow with new stuff, looking forward to more opinions!
Topic Starter
MaridiuS

Hakura wrote:

Can I also mention that moddingv2 is actually great too for IRC modding? Since feedback for your map is updated real time it's very easy to react to. I've tried it with Mir already and it worked out great. If there was still any confusion with the points we made we were still able to talk ingame but overall most of the times it was fine with replying et cetera. Don't need to save logs anymore with it!

Also since they're selecting new BNs on modding skills now I very do wonder how this all will turn out when moddingv2 only supports scattered posts
Its not really IRC modding if you're posting the concerns on the thread and have the mapper reply to it in the same way he did irc, literally just a waste of time tbh.
Cerulean Veyron
maridius dragged me here hm

Just being honest, I probably liked how moddingv2 works in any way. Even though I didn't try it out yet, but I've already seen it. As for now, it's still in development, no? Still don't understand why would such a thing needed to be put in effect right away. I've also overheard some complaints about it forcing off most mappers to their own mapset and so on, but to me personally I kinda liked it. No need to write a ton of paragraphs and repeated issues in a single mod post lol.

My only concern over moddingv2 is the rewarding system, kudosu to be specific. Well, not many people know that I'm some mercenary-type of a person that mods mostly for kudosu, and would use them for something peculiar or just simply shoot them on some of my maps, and moddingv2 literally doesn't have that... yet. Well, if there's something that would replace (or maybe adapt kudosu system if possible) I'll be fine with it as long as the rewarding system is still alive and existing, especially if it keeps track on mod activity of course. As for the hype train, no doubt so few mappers would even plan to alter M4Ms by hyping maps one and another, possible Hype4Hype abuse. So to think about it, I'd actually prefer hyping maps with something that modders made efforts into their mods on the map rather than calling out twelve people to praise the map by +1 hype, it's quite a bothersome though. Out of the topic, mapsets with mv2 are in luck at the moment. No vetoes xd

For now, the only thing I could do for it is to wait a little longer for the next overhaul... I'd rate this "moddingv2" a scale 7/10 for sure ;p
hi-mei
I didnt read the thread but few guys asked me for opinion, so uhhhhh

Pushing something that is in BETA (and not allowing the optional v1) isn't good since it stops the entire mechanism of modding/ranking. People dont want to mod maps cuz they dont get kds for that, as a modder I have 0 will to spend my time for free without any benefits.

In other words, please enable v1 back so I can grind my kds again. Keep it live till v2 will be ready.

and tbh, why do you guys want to replace something that is working good? I feel like v2 is cool and fresh, but im a simple man. I get a cup of tea and I write walls.

please, let me write walls.

thanks.
_handholding

Cerulean Veyron wrote:

No need to write a ton of paragraphs and repeated issues in a single mod post lol.
Isn't this the complete other way around? In a single post you can describe what a point applies to and the mapper will be able to pinpoint them. In mv2 you would have to copy and paste your points to different timestamps no?
timemon
I think when the reward system is implemented, it should probably go back and retroactively give you your hard earned rewards anyway. It's just a matter of when.

As for BN app, I think the requirement will change a bit in case the activity thing is not properly tracked. If you mod regularly, activity shouldn't be even on your mind.

I think when v2 gives kudosu and tracks your activity, most people will probably use it a lot more. (Many people care about their activity and kudosu gain)

Regarding the hype/praise things, I really like it. At least you get a bunch of friends to comment and it can be lively. This also gives opportunity for players to praise and hype the maps they want to see ranked. (They have to mod in v1 which most players aren't interested in doing it) In the end, it's BN who decides to nominate the map. The old SP and hype don't really do much but I prefer 12 ppl commenting the map over 12 SP (which I could easily shoot it myself).
peppy

timemon wrote:

I think when the reward system is implemented, it should probably go back and retroactively give you your hard earned rewards anyway. It's just a matter of when.

It will.

Kudosu were never really well thought out in the first place, so I'm still working through how to take things moving forward. That said, while it may not be "visible" right now, any mods you apply *will* add to your total modding score when things are finalised. ie. you won't be "losing" any kudosu along the way.

hi-mei wrote:

Pushing something that is in BETA (and not allowing the optional v1) isn't good since it stops the entire mechanism of modding/ranking. People dont want to mod maps cuz they dont get kds for that, as a modder I have 0 will to spend my time for free without any benefits.

In other words, please enable v1 back so I can grind my kds again. Keep it live till v2 will be ready.

It's not in beta, it's live.

Give us a fucking chance to fix the few remaining problems so you can have a better experience.
peppy

Noffy wrote:

while white space is important to differentiate different items, the extent to which this is done, as circled in red, is absolutely excessive.

You're generally addressing one point at a time. The whitespace should not be a huge issue once you adjust to it (I can see it taking a while coming from the forums, but give it a chance).

Noffy wrote:

v2 in comparison is a pain in the ass to read through. I can't see how long a modder's post is at a glance, I have to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll. If i want to look for a specific point without knowing the time it was posted at, i have to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll. It's inefficient.

If you know what you're looking for, how about using your browser's search function (Ctrl-F)?

Noffy wrote:

It should be possible to see only a specific modder's points at a time. It's already possible to just see posts you made yourself by clicking "mine" so this should be doable.

We're trying to make it less about individual modders and more about general map quality. What is the reason for looking at one person's issues specifically?

Noffy wrote:

ability to sort mod posts either by the timestamp, or the date they were posted. Make the date posted sorting option the default to give an idea of how a map has changed over time.

This doesn't make too much sense. All open issues still need to be resolved equally, right?

Noffy wrote:

give mappers the ability to mark points as irrelevant if a difficulty has been remapped.

You can use resolve for this

Noffy wrote:

add pagination if a difficulty's mod thread has over a certain number of replies, like 20. scrolling through someone's map's thread if it has 100+ points would be hellish.

Why is it hellish? The page performance should survive. Let us know if otherwise.

Noffy wrote:

give mapset host the ability to give other specified users the ability to resolve issues. this would address the current problem with GDers replying and unable to resolve themselves. these other users would be marked as "Guest Mapper" similar to how the host mapper is marked with a green tag.

Eventually we'll support guest mappers, but not just yet.

Noffy wrote:

when scrolling through a thread, the box for posting an issue would remain always visible at the top of the screen. this would make it easier for modders to review other points at close timestamps while reviewing their own, or just to read over the thread in general while writing their mod points. Much better than having to constantly scroll aaaalll the way down to a point, then aaalll the way back up to the box for posting a point.

Definitely

Noffy wrote:

make it possible for a mapper to edit the map description!

This is done from BSS in-game for now.

Noffy wrote:

Also currently, if a difficulty changes beatmap number due to being renamed, or deleted and added back between uploads, all points made on it disappear into an abyss.

Please email me at pe@ppy.sh if this happens. It shouldn't.

Noffy wrote:

I personally detest email notifications and always use the bookmarks page on the current website to keep up with both map threads and other threads such as modding queues I stalk.

Yep, optional email alerts will definitely be coming.

Noffy wrote:

modv2 is completely fucked on the mobile page, why is there even a mobile page if the layout gets so badly messed up? it's much easier to zoom into the desktop version of the page than read this mess.

Have passed this on.
peppy
Short-term focus from our end:

- we probably want to split "resolved" into "accepted" and "rejected" for mappers
- post area needs to be anchored to the top of the screen. already said this multiple times but it needs to happen.
- kudosu upvote cutoffs need to change (1 / 2 /5 instead of insanely high 5/10/15)
- hype only possible after user has played through the beatmap (need client support)
- bookmark/watch threads without email notifications
- mobile site fixes
- optional email alerts when watching a post
Ascendance
please add description editing to that list, there's no way to change the description post-rank, doing it through BSS is a bandaid solution that doesn't work and the ability to see who favorited our maps again thanks
Noffy
any points not responded to mean i totally understand and will agree that i probably just need to get used to it

peppy wrote:

Noffy wrote:

ability to sort mod posts either by the timestamp, or the date they were posted. Make the date posted sorting option the default to give an idea of how a map has changed over time.
This doesn't make too much sense. All open issues still need to be resolved equally, right?

Noffy wrote:

give mappers the ability to mark points as irrelevant if a difficulty has been remapped.
You can use resolve for this
Both of these points are due to how a map may change significantly during its time in pending, especially if it's from a new mapper. Currently there's no way to differentiate if a point that mod v2 is notifying you of being at the same time is still relevant in its form or from a map several dozen versions ago. This is primarily for modders who may want to review previous modder's points to get a grasp on what other issues have been found and how they may contribute to those discussions.

peppy wrote:

Noffy wrote:

give mapset host the ability to give other specified users the ability to resolve issues. this would address the current problem with GDers replying and unable to resolve themselves. these other users would be marked as "Guest Mapper" similar to how the host mapper is marked with a green tag.
Eventually we'll support guest mappers, but not just yet.

Noffy wrote:

when scrolling through a thread, the box for posting an issue would remain always visible at the top of the screen. this would make it easier for modders to review other points at close timestamps while reviewing their own, or just to read over the thread in general while writing their mod points. Much better than having to constantly scroll aaaalll the way down to a point, then aaalll the way back up to the box for posting a point.
Definitely

Noffy wrote:

I personally detest email notifications and always use the bookmarks page on the current website to keep up with both map threads and other threads such as modding queues I stalk.
Yep, optional email alerts will definitely be coming.
Yay ^^!

peppy wrote:

Noffy wrote:

make it possible for a mapper to edit the map description!
This is done from BSS in-game for now.
Will there be quick buttons on the in-game updater to add formatting in the near future then? Currently adding this through the BSS requires memorization of the forum's code.
peppy
We'll be adding description editing to the new web info pages, but I can't guarantee that it will work post-ranked-state (this allows for potential abuse).
Ascendance

peppy wrote:

We'll be adding description editing to the new web info pages, but I can't guarantee that it will work post-ranked-state (this allows for potential abuse).
Mind describing what kind of abuse could come from it? I have no knowledge of this stuff so it helps for me. I'm a mapper who does a lot of information spreading in my descriptions (a pretty good example of what I mean), so being able to edit descriptions at all times is important to me. The main thing that comes from post-ranked beatmap edits is if someone changes their name, a puush link times out, or I forget to write a nomination in the description, it's important to me to change it so that way I can properly convey that stuff. Obviously it's not a 100% life or death issue, but it's very convenient for people like me <:
HappyRocket88
Please don't forget formatting! >__<
Noffy

Ascendance wrote:

peppy wrote:

Mind describing what kind of abuse could come from it? I have no knowledge of this stuff so it helps for me. I'm a mapper who does a lot of information spreading in my descriptions (a pretty good example of what I mean), so being able to edit descriptions at all times is important to me. The main thing that comes from post-ranked beatmap edits is if someone changes their name, a puush link times out, or I forget to write a nomination in the description, it's important to me to change it so that way I can properly convey that stuff. Obviously it's not a 100% life or death issue, but it's very convenient for people like me <:

I definitely agree with Ascendance here.
Doing map series like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/122376 or https://osu.ppy.sh/s/480609 how these and related maps linked in the descriptions all refer to each other would not be as feasible without having the ability to edit maps after rank. It's beneficial for larger projects.
If not, there should be an alternative for these kind of grouped listings (for mappers to make, versus beatmap packs which feature multiple mappers and are curated by others) on the website, as being able to browse and play through big projects like these is pretty fun as a player c:
Topic Starter
MaridiuS

peppy wrote:

Noffy wrote:

v2 in comparison is a pain in the ass to read through. I can't see how long a modder's post is at a glance, I have to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll. If i want to look for a specific point without knowing the time it was posted at, i have to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll. It's inefficient.
If you know what you're looking for, how about using your browser's search function (Ctrl-F)?
I don't think typing "rhythm" or "spacing" could find what I am looking for. Neither can a mapper truly remember the wording of the modder to find it.

peppy wrote:

Noffy wrote:

It should be possible to see only a specific modder's points at a time. It's already possible to just see posts you made yourself by clicking "mine" so this should be doable.
We're trying to make it less about individual modders and more about general map quality. What is the reason for looking at one person's issues specifically?
Hm I was actually talking a lot about this. I think reading through it all might make you more understand, the points are on Cons, original post, 1st and 3rd point somewhat connected and here p/6341022. Adding to it is that modders have certain views. They may try to connect their ideas dynamically and focus in helping the mapper on more general issues, making further points from one modder stronger. In case the mapper receives multiple mods, he will more easily be able to handle from each modder individually. Some people mod passionately with intentions to genuinely try to improve the map, while some are just here like "m4m lol: fix blanket, small spacing here ... this is really good well done, add note?, connect, ^, ^... veri nice map!"

peppy wrote:

Noffy wrote:

add pagination if a difficulty's mod thread has over a certain number of replies, like 20. scrolling through someone's map's thread if it has 100+ points would be hellish.
Why is it hellish? The page performance should survive. Let us know if otherwise.
Think noffy was referring to the idea of scrolling through 100 random points that nobody will really care about. If some issue on the lines of "spacing too big here" was resolved, it means it's not relevant in the map anymore, and we're forced to scroll through multiple posts of these kind. Therefore no reason for the modder to point it out or care about that post while it takes valuable space, compared to an old ~13pixel line. Add 30 of those and it becomes hellish.
hi-mei

peppy wrote:

Noffy wrote:

Basically, there are people whos very experienced (Shiirn, Okorin, Natsu etc) and there are people who just spams their opinions without any knowledge in mapping.

Yea it sounds a bit uh... unfair but as a mapper (and trust me, its the case for any prominent mapper) sometimes I wanna see only specific person's opinon, instead of scrolling thru the entire thread of mods that might be useless.
Nozhomi

MaridiuS wrote:

Think noffy was referring to the idea of scrolling through 100 random points that nobody will really care about. If some issue on the lines of "spacing too big here" was resolved, it means it's not relevant in the map anymore, and we're forced to scroll through multiple posts of these kind. Therefore no reason for the modder to point it out or care about that post while it takes valuable space, compared to an old ~13pixel line. Add 30 of those and it becomes hellish.
Could we have maybe a button to hide resolved issues as map owner ? It would resolve this easily.
Weber

Nozhomi wrote:

Could we have maybe a button to hide resolved issues as map owner ? It would resolve this easily.
This suggestion is fucking great
Lumenite-
better yet, still waiting on a veto button for nominators

granted we can mod for a veto, there’s no way to prevent a map from being qualified in v2... once a map is nominated, most mappers will defend as much as possible to prevent needing a rebubble or whatnot

a huge part of the process is missing, which should probably be more important than marking issues as “resolved” or “rejected”
b00
As Nozhomi wrote. +1 for being able to hide resolved events. Also I think that maybe a voting system to prioritise different posts would be interesting? :idea:
abraker

hi-mei wrote:

Basically, there are people whos very experienced (Shiirn, Okorin, Natsu etc) and there are people who just spams their opinions without any knowledge in mapping.

Yea it sounds a bit uh... unfair but as a mapper (and trust me, its the case for any prominent mapper) sometimes I wanna see only specific person's opinon, instead of scrolling thru the entire thread of mods that might be useless.
I believe this is furthering mapping bias and making a less of a reason to help others become better at mapping. Granted there are bad comments here and there, but good comments still overwhelm those, so I don't believe this the best direction to face. Most of the time all of the attention from common people would be taken away by those respected mapper.
Topic Starter
MaridiuS

abraker wrote:

hi-mei wrote:

I believe this is furthering mapping bias and making a less of a reason to help others become better at mapping. Granted there are bad comments here and there, but good comments still overwhelm those, so I don't believe this the best direction to face. Most of the time all of the attention from common people would be taken away by those respected mapper.
idk newer modders can even get downvoted now for bad comments soooo
Okoratu
  1. Mapset discovery is missing, there really isn't a way to browse for maps with most hype as a means for discovering maps
  2. As a nominator knowing which mapsets have been nominated is pretty important, some people like focusing on checking those because a nomination signals "hey this is close to rank, maybe it's a cool map" more strongly than any other hype count
  3. Similar point applies to things that were disqualified ^
  4. Currently there's no feasible way to disagree with someone's nomination - it's missing from a system side. If you disagree or find things that absolutely should halt a map's ranking process (unrankables) you cannot undo a nomination as a Beatmap Nominator - you have to wait until someone qualifies the beatmap and contact a QAT to disqualify
  5. Documentation on how stuff actually works is mostly user-written, the "Upvotes Award Kudosu" thing isn't very clear to the average person - also if i read it correctly - correct it if im wrong - upvoting and undoing your upvote next to a threshold is going to award and subtract kudosu unless it's blocked system-side this looks like an open door to abuse
  6. If a difficulty is remapped, discussion about the old difficulty is irrelevant and shouldn't hold up users from posting more issues about similar timestamps - actually probably should be wiped in those cases. No idea how to do that though - systematically speaking.
pkhg

Nozhomi wrote:

Topic Starter
MaridiuS

Nozhomi wrote:

MaridiuS wrote:

You can filter to resolved or pending, but the issue is nonetheless scrolling through resolved stuff to see what is going on, how is the mapper responding to mods and what could general concerns be from modders.
Noffy
Further ideas:

Allow mapper to pin 1-3 messages to the top of a mapset's general section. This could allow them to increase visibility on such things as:

- Notifications to modders: "don't mod x, it's not done.", or "PLEASE MOD X, IT JUST GOT ADDED, HAS 0 MODS."
- "please feedback on the spread" or something similar
- Metadata concern threads, instead of having this be buried in the middle of the general section somewhere.

Or anything else they can conceive that they want modders to see as soon as they open the map's modding panel.

Currently this can be accomplished by making a placeholder post as soon as the mapset is uploaded to ensure they get the top spot on the general section (this is what I'm doing), but having this as an actual feature would be nice :'')
pkhg
also theres a way to edit descriptions currently. u just have to search for it on your post history
Noffy

pkhg wrote:

also theres a way to edit descriptions currently. u just have to search for it on your post history

currently yeah, but it'd be pretty bad once these v1 options were totally gone if there's no replacement in place.
pkhg
ya ik but im just pointing that out as a placeholder like what u did for metadata posts
Topic Starter
MaridiuS

pkhg wrote:

ya ik but im just pointing that out as a placeholder like what u did for metadata posts

That was already in OP zzz

Noffy nice ideas

Will update the OP sooner or later[/size]
hi-mei
oh boys, there are people getting 10kds per maps set XD

@peppy can you please change the Kudosu thing to come from "resolved" but not "upvoted" instead?

people gonna abuse that for sure
Aurele

hi-mei wrote:

oh boys, there are people getting 10kds per maps set XD

@peppy can you please change the Kudosu thing to come from "resolved" but not "upvoted" instead?

people gonna abuse that for sure

I was pretty sure it would go that way..

I'd like to see this and reward the modder once.. instead of 10+ times for the same map
BOUYAAA

peppy wrote:

- hype only possible after user has played through the beatmap (need client support)
What's the use for this? It's not gonna prevent hype spamming anyways. I feel like this is just wasting everyone's time even more.
Why is hype even mendatory i don't get it.
Cheri
I really don't agree with this new KD system whatsoever - I can even get kds from my own map which doesn't make sense...

We also got to look at abuse here - There is a lot of people mapping and modding - there is absolutely no way to keep everyone from abusing this kd system without having some form of limitation to it with the amount of QAT and BN members we have -

Another thing why it is hard to keep it from being abusive, is that there isn't a good way to track all modv2 maps yet I believe (which I really think this is important - Especially for maps that been nominated)

But my main point is - I don't see a reason at all why can't just the mapper be the only one who decides who gets kd
I mean doesn't the mapper has a better judgment of how useful the mod is than some random person who may possible have no clue of how modding even works?
After all, it is the Mapper's map the modder is modding, and the Mapper (or anyone who gd/collab with) is the only one who is applying the mod to their map regardless if others think the mod was useful or not...

This is just as bad as the hype system tbh and I felt that it should has been discuss more before actually implemented like this

BOUYAAA wrote:

peppy wrote:

What's the use for this? It's not gonna prevent hype spamming anyways. I feel like this is just wasting everyone's time even more.
Why is hype even mendatory i don't get it.
Wait really? - Why do I have to determine if a map deserves a hype by playing through it now? What if the map is a 10 min marathon? Do I have to play through the whole thing to just give a map I believe deserves a hype to get rank? I hope that won't be the case lol

I may not be the best of modder/player but I know damn well how good of a map is without having to play it all the way through and just see this as a waste time and effort. Also that doesn't solve that it is still abusive whatsoever and shouldn't be a way for a map to get rank at all

EDIT:

Apparently I can go straight to someone's map and downvote a modder's mod and take away their kd from it (I tried it on a random map and one of my maps - oh course I remove the downvote after that lol)
I think that is... pretty dumb and that just goes back to my point of why I believe the mapper should determine if a mod deserves a kds once more because that just cause even more abusive issues
Shiro

Hailie wrote:

I really don't agree with this new KD system whatsoever - I can even get kds from my own map which doesn't make sense...

Confirming this, I made an issue for it on github.

Hailie wrote:

Apparently I can go straight to someone's map and downvote a modder's mod and take away their kd from it (I tried it on a random map and one of my maps - oh course I remove the downvote after that lol)
I think that is... pretty dumb and that just goes back to my point of why I believe the mapper should determine if a mod deserves a kds once more because that just cause even more abusive issues

I kind of agree with that idea. I'll bring it up and see where it goes.
Topic Starter
MaridiuS
If somebody had some experience with qualified map on mv2 discussion, sharing would be nice. Preferably examples in which modders amass to bring the map down, but any viable discussion is welcomed. I personally think multiple discussions won't show as much pressure on mapset as it does in mv1 especially on overall quality issues.
LowAccuracySS
I think the main concern I have about this entire thing is the fact that it's being forced when it's not complete- I think 90% of the complaints that we currently have are mainly due to the incomplete nature of mv2. I don't know though, that's just my opinion based on what I've seen. As for suggestions, most of what's been mentioned I agree with, including changing beatmap descriptions post-rank. I don't see how abuse can occur here, and I would like to see examples (if possible)

Anyway, just my two cents. Modding with mv2 is straight to the point and easy, I just worry about the set owner and GDers more :)
coco
Quite minor but it would be nice to see who has favorited your map
Noffy

cococolaco wrote:

Quite minor but it would be nice to see who has favorited your map
it was added recently
hover over the part of the map page that states the number of favorites and it'll show user's icons (up to 50) that you can then hover to see their names
show more