forum

[STD] About ''Insane'' Difficulties

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jiru
Hi !
While I might be pretty new to osu! and it's community, I have something I wanted to discuss about for a pretty long time.
That is : ''Insane'' difficulties on Mapsets.
As I said, I'm very new, and still have a lot to discover, but that's exactly why i want to talk about this.
Everybody knows that for (almost) every Mapset, there's an ''Insane'' difficulty, and everybody remembers playing them.
I mean, I still do sometimes but I've come to not play ''Insane'' difficulties at all, even skipping them in Multi matches.
Here's my reason : They're not good.
Hold up ! Before flaming me, let me explain.
The reason why I say that is because the maps feel like they don't have any thought or love put into them anymore.
I've played beatmaps from 2010 and 2016 and later and noticed that ''Insane'' difficulties got more and more mundane, stale and
repetitive. They feel like the same beatmap, no matter the song. It features the same hitsounds, the same patterns, the same
awkwardly placed 1/4th sliders and always the same BPM.
I've completely moved away from these difficulties, and focused more on unranked maps that are actually fun, challenging and
well-crafted.
I know, not all ''Insane'' difficulties are bad, but that's the problem. Not all ''Insane'' difficulties are good either.
While mappers put a lot of effort in every Difficulty on their Mapset, and choose their guest diffs wisely,
many other mappers just focus on the Extra and Extreme difficulties, and chose the same guests over and over again. *cough*Monstrata*cough*
I don't want to tell Mappers : ''REEEEEEEEEEE MAEK GUD INSEN DIFF OR KYS'' but I just want them to put a little more effort
on the difficulty every mediocre osu! player likes to play : ''Insane''
I've found myself enjoying harder beatmaps, going from 5 to 9 stars more fun and enjoyable to play, even if I am nowhere close to
FC'ing them.
I'm not doing this for myself, I'm doing it for the community, and the players that aren't good enough to play harder difficulties.
I'm not doing this for myself, since I've moved away from these maps and found an alternative.

I'd gladly hear someone else's input on this, your opinion being against me or with me, anything is appreciated.
(Don't bring up shit arguments like "Well gid gud den haha lul xd".)
-Makishima S-
TL;DR: Call them by name:

Garbage PP mapping meta, garbage maps with zero quality and bazilion PP which require negative effort to play.
Main reason why I quit STD - there is nothing new to play, nothing interesting. Almost everything is the same - boring jump spam with no effort linear bursts (sometimes even not this), maps made mainly to be played with DT, constructed to be easily readable with HD.
If something interesting shows up, it is really a miracle...

Thank mr monstrata & c.o. for destroying fun and reason to play this mode.
N0thingSpecial
Personally I think that this is fine, it is expected that if your song is more fitting to be mapped an expert diffulty, the insane diff is probably a undermapped version of the expert difficulty that it’s main purpose is to bridge aspiring players to the expert difficulties.

To avoid this, you find songs that is only suitable to be mapped as an insane diff, so sets with insane difficulty as their top diff, or single diff marathon maps imo have better quality.
autoteleology
There are over 40,000 maps for osu!standard. How many of them have you played, again?

There is no point in complaining that not every mapper is a super star genius when there are oodles and oodles of great maps out there that you could find if you just actually looked. If you really can't find decent maps, download them all, hit random and play. I guarantee you will find interesting things sooner rather than later.
Topic Starter
jiru

Emersyne wrote:

How many of them have you played, again?
Have you even read my post ?
I literally said that I'm new, and haven't explored much of this game, and you reply
EXACTLY with what i didn't want to hear.

Read what I said again, and then read your reply, you'll find that you contradicted yourself :)

I also already said that i've found interesting maps. They're all unranked. Ranked maps aren't
fun anymore.
Endie-
I've never felt like maps named "insane" are in any worse quality than the average map. Could you give any examples? And it's important to keep in mind that not every mapper creates maps you might find good, as that is highly subjective.

I hope you don't limit your beatmap library to unranked maps, as there are so many great ranked maps out there. You'll be missing out
mulraf
i disagree with you.

first of all insane is a very broad term. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/126229 this 5.64* ranked map is called insane, https://osu.ppy.sh/b/6097 this 2.29* is too. the ranking guidelines state: 3.75-5.25: Insane. this is still a pretty broad range. it's just a name for a difficulty and every difficulty can be mapped well or not. it is pretty common that the highest difficulty is the one the mappers aim for and thus they often have the highest quality (or are for pp-farming).
if you want some, in my opinion, good 3.75-5.25* maps i can list LOTS of them. even if you want to get only 2016+ maps.
Akanagi
I'm pretty sure the Insane Diff (4*-5-3* or so) have the most variety because you have the old maps in there, the newer ones, the latest ones and the "classics".

A lot of 5* feels like where it becomes more stagnant. You have more jump maps, and maps become AR9.X for apparently no real reason, and the standard will usually be AR9.X, OD7-8, CS4, HP7

Just download some giga-mapfolder that contains older stuff and not just Monstrata, Sotarks etc. (going off your top plays). Just seems like you downloaded the most rated / popular beatmaps (which are usually pp maps or stuff like BB)