forum

Sequence

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Azure_Kite

(Yes, I know it's been on XBLA for a while, but still. It's now available on PC.)

Sequence is a rhythm/role playing game developed by Iridium Studios, Essentially, you have to press th e arrow/wasd keys in time to the music in order to defend/defeat monsters and get to the big bads at the end of each floor. The story takes place over 7 of these floors, with a Big Bad at the end of each floor.

(Forgive me, this is the best video I could find.)

"Storyline"
Ky is your everyday college student, studying Computer Science and Robotics, when he wakes up inside a mysterious tower. He is told by a voice over the intercom that if he doesn't learn how to proceed, he will die. The Voice, who introduces herself as Naia, instructs Ky on the basics of battle inside the tower, and as Ky's Shepherd, guides him through the tower on his way to the top.

"Gameplay"
The core gameplay mechanics involve switching between three different "fields" in order to maintain the upper hand in battle/song. There's the Defense Field (Red), the Spell field (Green), and the Mana field (Blue, Pronounced Mah-na).

Arrows that fall into the Defense field need to be hit when they hit the bottom of the field, in time to the music. If you miss, you lose some HP. Pretty simple. If you miss an arrow in the middle of casting a spell, then you fail the cast, and the spell doesn't work. There is no punishment when you miss an arrow in the Mana field, however when you successfully hit an arrow, your Mana increases by one. You will need this as you deplete your Mana casting spells to heal/attack.

You cannot spend the entire time sticking in the Defense field; casting magic is the only way to deal damage to the various monsters that are in the tower, and although you can cast spells in any field, the arrows required to perform the spell will only scroll into the Spell field.

In order to proceed to the next level, you need to Synthesise a special item, know as a Key the (floor name here). Using the items you win by defeating monsters, you can synthesise various weapons, accessories, armor and scrolls, which are used to learn new spells.

There are four difficulty levels, from Easy through to Insane. This video showcases him playing on Normal difficulty, but there is a large step up from Normal the the Hard difficulty

All in all, I've played it for around three hours at this point, it's pretty fun for a $5 game. You can currently download it from Steam.
Mukku
Bought it when it was on sale in Steam and let me tell you something; this game is AWESOME.

I still haven't beat the ??? floor though.
Pokebis
It's fun. Songs get old pretty quickly, though since you play the same ones quite a bit.
Mukku
The boss dialogs are amazing. Just saying.

@Pokebis: Yeah and when the best song finally comes up, you only get to play it once because it's the 7th guardian ;_;

But thats just, like, my opinion, man.
Nachy
Been playing this recently, a lot of fun and also a bit refreshing. Also Ronald Jenkees alone made this game worth it.
Backfire
I just bought this for the 360 :3 =w=b
Rantai
I guess it's time to crack out the old stepmania fingers.
Mukku
Yay I unlocked the hidden ending. I still don't know how to get the Iris achievement though. There doesn't seem to be anything more to do.

Has anyone here gotten the Iris achievement?
Ph0X
I would've been fine with the music is atleast every different monster had a different track. But when they started putting the same track on a boss and two monsters, it really started to become repetitive. Then again, it's a small 5$ indie game, and I got atleast 8hours out of it, which is way more than I got out of my 50$ deus ex purchase.

The guy did an AMA on Reddit yesterday, he's a really cool guy.
Haseo_old
Looks promising but boring.
Nachy

Mukku wrote:

Yay I unlocked the hidden ending. I still don't know how to get the Iris achievement though. There doesn't seem to be anything more to do.

Has anyone here gotten the Iris achievement?
Hint: Examine items on the 7th floor
Zeverage
necropost

Gahhh, up to the 7th floor, and the guardian effect completely screws me over T_T

anyone got any tips?