forum

How do you choose your Video Games?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Lord Sithis
Skill ceiling in most cases
DrSkeletal
If a game has attractive characters I'm 10x more likely to play it.
vinnicci
Renzu
I usually play FPS and JRPG games. First things first that I check the game out is gameplay and story and having positive reviews.
Aochie
I choose Video Games by genre, plot, art style, and good soundtracks. ;)
-Cappuchino-
well if looks good to me i get them
DXPOHIHIHI

GhostyDev wrote:

I would like to know how you guys choose your video games, because everyone has their own standards or techniques to choosing theirs or, they could be similar.

I always choose my video games based off their soundtrack. I belive if it has a high quality soundtrack the game must be high quality...right? So far I've liked every game that I picked this way. Like how I choose Persona 4 and Project DIVA f2nd. They were really good! Now I really want all the other persona games because of how good their soundtracks are.

dood even if a game sucks but if'it's soundtrack is good then it's a good game
VinZentVanDough
Any game with a good community
Topic Starter
GhostyDev

szkiller wrote:

GhostyDev wrote:

I would like to know how you guys choose your video games, because everyone has their own standards or techniques to choosing theirs or, they could be similar.

I always choose my video games based off their soundtrack. I belive if it has a high quality soundtrack the game must be high quality...right? So far I've liked every game that I picked this way. Like how I choose Persona 4 and Project DIVA f2nd. They were really good! Now I really want all the other persona games because of how good their soundtracks are.

dood even if a game sucks but if'it's soundtrack is good then it's a good game

I agree, the music decides it all.
cinnaronpa
A lot of it is the soundtrack for me as well, the quality/art style of the game is also a huge factor for me.

If it looks nice and seems like it has an interesting community, I'll usually go for it.
Prunia
Mostly genre, community, graphics and platforms. If a game can be played on PS4 and it's way much better than on a computer, I'll go for it.
Frisbyy_old
Graphics,storyline and character designs.
veliest420
enjoyment, gameplay, story(if there is), immersion, realism (depends), music, performance, community. they all are important
my personal picks
STALKER and the mods
Red Orchestra 2
escape from tarkov
rimworld
everything with grisaia

and lot more
Notpockets
I usually choose depending on how long I think I'd play and enjoy it. One hour = One dollar. So if I can see myself spending 20 hours in a 20 dollar game then it's worth it. i'm not sure how that'd convert with other currencies but that's how i choose

I don't really buy many full price triple A titles. Most worthwhile purchase was Garry's Mod for $5 and I played it for 1750 hours.

I know I personally don't like open world games or RPGs so ye.
Kirika
I tend to get recommendations from my friends, but I can just go off of gut feeling from time to time.
Subaru-kun
The aim of the game and the artstyle.
ChaikaHQ
Story, characters and artstyle are usually the main things for me.
Alfearox
If i like the gender i watch a video about the game andif i like the style i buy it
Quibbly
I don't dare buy games without looking at reviews first after the game's release. I learned the hard way after buying the $120 version of COD: Ghosts. I won't buy indie games that I know will die out after a year or two no matter how fun it looks.

Also I'd just like to say Im so glad I didn't buy SOS, they BR'd it to crap
Dissidion
Either great story or awesome gameplay (infinite, if possible, like The binding of Isaac).
I never look at rewievs, though, I just pick a game and if I deem it good then I try it. Rarely miss. And even if I miss, then I, most likely, play it years later, like Osu! here, I installed it in 2013 and I didnt like it, but here I am, 5 years later, remembered about it (a week ago) and can't stop playing it since =)
FaizKTG
if the game is fun, I'll get it.
Brainage
fun
ragequit52
It depends if its good or not lol
But i usually always looks for gameplay, the FPS, and sometimes the story.
KemZii
art style
Thonkkk
Type of game and reviews
singulier
plot, and genres are the ones i mainly focus on.
Ryoid
Unique Gampelay and storyline
but its depend from the genre

like if its rhythm game i would like to see the song selection first then the gameplay
if its action, gameplay first then story
but for rpg game i would like to see the concept and storyline first and what kind of approach the dev are making
masterofadam
Depends on Genre. I like bullet-hell and tycoon sort of games. Other factors I put into consideration are community and how well the game will run on my computer.
latiasred
it apparently seems that initially i would choose games based on their music

like touhou. i didnt think id like shooters, but like most people, enjoyed the music. it manages to be one of my favorites though.

i believe i also chose pokemon titles for their music

i also choose games based on what other people play. i would see this game (osu) in many people's discord statuses and before even knowing it was a rhythm game (i actually thought it was this pink game with anime characters where you just click stuff and was purely aesthetic)
NimbleBiter
Videos of popular channels or friends
Carmlillball
Other people's recommendations, and sticking to the same games for years.
Aiseca
1st - good art design.
2nd - not so shabby storyline (because it hurts me as a writer to read cringy storyline)
3rd - at least a decent battle system or easy to understand game mechanics, it it is complicated too much, I'll drop it.

And most importantly, not a rip-off from somewhere, because that is just annoying...
Journal
a lot of customization
payney
mostly off of recommendations, but i enjoy games with a really pleasing aesthetic, or games that interesting concepts.
KabajiOW
If it's competitive and or it interests me I get it so usually FPS games BR games and or multiplayer games