forum

Is it really worth putting millions into CS education?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker
So if you don't know, big companies decided to band together to put up hundred of millions on the table to enable computer science education. This is supposedly to enable more schools have a CS curriculum and encourage students to learn computer science. That's nice and all, but who is that really going to help?

First let's talk about the educational environment. Sure you need a budget for the software and computer labs. That's a given. However, two key points: You need good educators and you need students who are actually interested. My highschool I went to has programming courses. The instructor just gave assignments one by one as the semester continued, due at the end of the semester. Many of the students didn't look interested and did not have this drive to program. The few that did, already finished the assignments and went around helping others getting nicknamed "hacker" or something by others. However, even though most of them didn't pick a computer related degree, it's good that they got exposed to computers and know some sense of how a program functions and such.

How effective can a curriculum be? I believe this effective enough to let students that don't know shit about CS to take a look at it, which actually good. The bad part comes in for the rest of the folks that will make it their career. I learned more in internships than the curriculum they want to put funds for, and I doubt you can improve existing without allowing students to experiment on their own while basing a grade on that. They actually discourage that and make you do this very specific thing and only this way or you get a bad/reduced grade. I had to make this console app in JAVA where you put in numbers and it spits out the average while trying to juggle my own, far more advanced project.

Now let's talk about post education, finding a CS job. I isn't easy, at least if you are starting out. At one point I had to ask why many companies set a 3.0 GPA requirement for their applications. Reason is simple. There are just too many damn applications for them, so they have to filter out the "lower quality ones". If not the GPA, even the college curriculum won't save you if you haven't sacrificed your time to work some programming projects for your portfolio. And then there are these trends where companies post entry level positions that need 10 years of experience for something that has been out for 3 years. I hear that's an actual tactic to circumvent laws to outsource the work overseas for a cheaper price.

So to take away from this, I think putting millions is good in that it will promote computer literacy, however, having knowledge on how to code up a calculator is not going to get you far anywhere. It just makes you a better rounded person. Other than that, it does nothing to help the workforce and it looks to be partially a PR thing.
Stanvord
idk

mabye it's to help computerize the world or smth
kai99
i agree with your viewpoint im just too tired to further the argument rn so i wont say much but yeah
kai99

abraker wrote:

So if you don't know, big companies decided to band together to put up hundred of millions on the table to enable computer science education. This is supposedly to enable more schools have a CS curriculum and encourage students to learn computer science. That's nice and all, but who is that really going to help?
Well the goal in a general sense is more like, to make the public become more familiar with tech so that they won't face problems as much than those who rarely touch tech, in a world where technology is becoming more integrated in people's lives. Even at my uni there are people just taking a CS course for the sake of it, but honestly I don't recommend it (coming from experience and all nighters) but there should be a general CS course that'll introduce people to logical and algorithmic thinking. Like maths. And it is also true that the demand for tech peeps are only going to increase until they find an AI that'll just code for us then we're fucked.

abraker wrote:

First let's talk about the educational environment. Sure you need a budget for the software and computer labs. That's a given. However, two key points: You need good educators and you need students who are actually interested. My highschool I went to has programming courses. The instructor just gave assignments one by one as the semester continued, due at the end of the semester. Many of the students didn't look interested and did not have this drive to program. The few that did, already finished the assignments and went around helping others getting nicknamed "hacker" or something by others. However, even though most of them didn't pick a computer related degree, it's good that they got exposed to computers and know some sense of how a program functions and such.
See, that's why I think CS should be more based on logical thinking than actual programming. Integrated into maths or something. That is important in life. It just bothers me talking with a person who doesn't have simple logic. The programming should come later on, after they've filtered who's interested or not in such topics. Systematical thinking should be the base in everyone, just like how math is. And fucking CS assignments are boring even if you have a passion, just end me before my next assignment is due lol.

I think hackers are overhyped in society too lol all the hackers I know usually wake up at 3pm, sleep at 8am, and they're mostly freelancers that don't earn that much but well when they do find a vulnerability they usually earn heck tons... Other friends that were more of the "wake up at 8am sleep at 8pm" types are all developers now not even lying. Well I digressed. So what was the topic again

abraker wrote:

How effective can a curriculum be? I believe this effective enough to let students that don't know shit about CS to take a look at it, which actually good. The bad part comes in for the rest of the folks that will make it their career.
I also think there should be subjects focusing on tech and society more than functional programming. I took a course that looked at things from networking, sorting algorithms, to GPS, simulation/data, privacy/security, supercomputers, backups, IoT, neural networks, RFID..etc and it was fun just reading articles about IT in general (well even more so because I was already interested in those) but because it was a general course. Easy to understand, easy to get a general knowledge but helpful in getting friendly with technological terms.

abraker wrote:

I learned more in internships than the curriculum they want to put funds for, and I doubt you can improve existing without allowing students to experiment on their own while basing a grade on that. They actually discourage that and make you do this very specific thing and only this way or you get a bad/reduced grade. I had to make this console app in JAVA where you put in numbers and it spits out the average while trying to juggle my own, far more advanced project.
Honestly I feel like real-life things like internships and projects are the most rewarding than courses l o l . Course material are just there for grades; and in CS I think projects are more important than grades. It's either you put all in your grades or you put all in your projects because if you're in CS major you probably wouldn't have the time to do both and time management is seriously a struggle. This "balance" is what I've been struggling with for the past 5 years or so. I had times where I had to give up working on CTF questions in order to save my grades, and now I'm in this weird state inbetween where I'm just failing at both lol.

abraker wrote:

Now let's talk about post education, finding a CS job. It isn't easy, at least if you are starting out. At one point I had to ask why many companies set a 3.0 GPA requirement for their applications. Reason is simple. There are just too many damn applications for them, so they have to filter out the "lower quality ones". If not the GPA, even the college curriculum won't save you if you haven't sacrificed your time to work some programming projects for your portfolio. And then there are these trends where companies post entry level positions that need 10 years of experience for something that has been out for 3 years. I hear that's an actual tactic to circumvent laws to outsource the work overseas for a cheaper price.
Because they promote "CS has the most JOB VACANCIES", honestly, the competition has risen a fuck ton. a FUCK ton. FUCKING HELL. I hate my life. First of all, our school now has a minimum required GPA for admissions to the CPSC department now. Before you used to just directly apply to CPSC (three years ago) and now the competition has risen up so much that I have to take a minimum of 27 credits and get a 70+% on average in order to get even considered for CPSC. People tell me an 80% would make my application pretty much "safe". Second, all the third years I know tell me "you should probably start on a project next year. only think about getting into the major rn." so that's on my list too. Honestly, balancing academics and portfolios are really hard unless you're really passionate or motivated. For the time being I'm doing CS volunteers and just studying cpsc.... But it's kinda depressing. Two years ago it was known that you could've gotten around 76% and you'd be safe to enter the major; last year that safety line went up to 80s, and people are expecting something even higher next year.

abraker wrote:

So to take away from this, I think putting millions is good in that it will promote computer literacy, however, having knowledge on how to code up a calculator is not going to get you far anywhere. It just makes you a better rounded person. Other than that, it does nothing to help the workforce and it looks to be partially a PR thing.
#include<stdio.h>

int main(void){
int num1 = 0;
int num2 = 0;
int value = 0;
char a = 0;

printf("Which calculation do you want to do? \n 1. Addition\n 2. Subtraction\n 3. Multiplication\n 4. Division\n");
scanf("%c", &a);
printf("Please enter the two numbers you want to calculate!\n");
scanf("%d %d", &num1, &num2);

switch(a){
case '+':
value = num1 + num2;
printf("%d %c %d = %d", num1, a, num2, value);
break;

case '-':
value = num1 - num2;
break;

case '*':
value = num1 * num2;
break;

case '/':
printf("%d/%d = %lf", num1, num2, (double)num1/num2);
break;

default:
printf( "EksDee" );
break;
}

return 0;
}

I remember me in 7th grade trying to learn pointers and it was the hardest challenge in my life and I don't remember shit from my depressing session but it's been a while since I've seen C and it's honestly so satisfying
Serraionga
Well the goal in a general sense is more like,

BF[/url'>FF]
Topic Starter
abraker

kai99 wrote:

but there should be a general CS course that'll introduce people to logical and algorithmic thinking. Like maths.
There is calculus, but I don't suppose that is based on logical and algorithmic thinking. It's more based on learning how to things a certain way using limited set of examples. How to optimize the shape for beverage container to have best volume to surface area ratio or other pretty meh things. The best calc problem I probably gotten had to do with a turret gun tracking a missile to shoot from some distance away. I think it's best if it is less theoretical and you get to see the things in action. The stuff remaining on paper is pretty boring. That's why I like programming. I see math come to life.

kai99 wrote:

See, that's why I think CS should be more based on logical thinking than actual programming. Integrated into maths or something. That is important in life. It just bothers me talking with a person who doesn't have simple logic. The programming should come later on, after they've filtered who's interested or not in such topics. Systematical thinking should be the base in everyone, just like how math is.
I think this statement is spoken more with frustration than anything. Some people are slower to get how to do something you figured out a while back because you have better background in math. So to address the actual point, practice makes perfect. Imo it should take equal amount of time to achieve the result whether you learn theory first then application, or spend twice as long with application. Idk which one is better though. The first option has a boring first half, have have less time to figure out the application, but know what how to do it in theory. The second option will leave you confused and not sure what to do on first half, but you would know the application.

kai99 wrote:

I know usually wake up at 3pm, sleep at 8am
I knew it. I hax0r

kai99 wrote:

. I took a course that looked at things from networking, sorting algorithms, to GPS, simulation/data, privacy/security, supercomputers, backups, IoT, neural networks, RFID..etc and it was fun just reading articles about IT in general (well even more so because I was already interested in those) but because it was a general course. Easy to understand, easy to get a general knowledge but helpful in getting friendly with technological terms.
That is a good way to get people hyped to learn the stuff. Why is this not more widespread?

kai99 wrote:

you probably wouldn't have the time to do both and time management is seriously a struggle. This "balance" is what I've been struggling with for the past 5 years or so. I had times where I had to give up working on CTF questions in order to save my grades, and now I'm in this weird state inbetween where I'm just failing at both lol.
*looks at own GPA*

kai99 wrote:

Because they promote "CS has the most JOB VACANCIES", honestly, the competition has risen a fuck ton. a FUCK ton. FUCKING HELL.
Still makes me wonder why I hear that the computer science jobs are booming like every other week.

kai99 wrote:

I remember me in 7th grade trying to learn pointers and it was the hardest challenge in my life and I don't remember shit from my depressing session but it's been a while since I've seen C and it's honestly so satisfying
Wow I haven't picked up programming until mid 9th grade, and didn't get pointers until 11th grade. I didn't get ranged based for loops until a couple years ago, but I blame me being most familiar and preferring C++03 over anything until that point for that. Get exposure to more languages. C++, C#, python, Javascript to name a few big ones from the top of my head. I am still not sure where Rust, Go, and other "hipster" languages are going yet to say whether they're worth learning for the future. JAVA, however, is weird. Wouldn't want to tell to learn it due to how JAVA likes being JAVA, but companies are still using it.
kai99

abraker wrote:

kai99 wrote:

but there should be a general CS course that'll introduce people to logical and algorithmic thinking. Like maths.
There is calculus, but I don't suppose that is based on logical and algorithmic thinking. It's more based on learning how to things a certain way using limited set of examples. How to optimize the shape for beverage container to have best volume to surface area ratio or other pretty meh things. The best calc problem I probably gotten had to do with a turret gun tracking a missile to shoot from some distance away. I think it's best if it is less theoretical and you get to see the things in action. The stuff remaining on paper is pretty boring. That's why I like programming. I see math come to life.
yeah i agree with your last statement.
i'll be honest calculus is the thing. i feel as if i learned all these maths to ultimately learn calculus, i really like it, it's hard but i enjoy it anyway. it's cool.
but it's just that i suck at maths in general.... *looks at math quiz results*

abraker wrote:

kai99 wrote:

See, that's why I think CS should be more based on logical thinking than actual programming. Integrated into maths or something. That is important in life. It just bothers me talking with a person who doesn't have simple logic. The programming should come later on, after they've filtered who's interested or not in such topics. Systematical thinking should be the base in everyone, just like how math is.
I think this statement is spoken more with frustration than anything. Some people are slower to get how to do something you figured out a while back because you have better background in math. So to address the actual point, practice makes perfect. Imo it should take equal amount of time to achieve the result whether you learn theory first then application, or spend twice as long with application. Idk which one is better though. The first option has a boring first half, have have less time to figure out the application, but know what how to do it in theory. The second option will leave you confused and not sure what to do on first half, but you would know the application.
eksdddd yeah.

abraker wrote:

kai99 wrote:

I know usually wake up at 3pm, sleep at 8am
I knew it. I hax0r
omg *adds u to hax0r fren list*

abraker wrote:

kai99 wrote:

. I took a course that looked at things from networking, sorting algorithms, to GPS, simulation/data, privacy/security, supercomputers, backups, IoT, neural networks, RFID..etc and it was fun just reading articles about IT in general (well even more so because I was already interested in those) but because it was a general course. Easy to understand, easy to get a general knowledge but helpful in getting friendly with technological terms.
That is a good way to get people hyped to learn the stuff. Why is this not more widespread?
yeah, the course was called ITGS (IT in a Global Society) too. lol it was fun and awesome. easy to those who already have a little background knowledge, a little tougher to those who dont but it was good hype.

abraker wrote:

kai99 wrote:

you probably wouldn't have the time to do both and time management is seriously a struggle. This "balance" is what I've been struggling with for the past 5 years or so. I had times where I had to give up working on CTF questions in order to save my grades, and now I'm in this weird state inbetween where I'm just failing at both lol.
*looks at own GPA*

stop

abraker wrote:

kai99 wrote:

Because they promote "CS has the most JOB VACANCIES", honestly, the competition has risen a fuck ton. a FUCK ton. FUCKING HELL.
Still makes me wonder why I hear that the computer science jobs are booming like every other week.
ikr i have no idea, everyone knows the ones who get good jobs are like, the top 1% omg. it's like "u can practice for these interview questions and get into GOOGLE"

abraker wrote:

kai99 wrote:

Wow I haven't picked up programming until mid 9th grade, and didn't get pointers until 11th grade. I didn't get ranged based for loops until a couple years ago, but I blame me being most familiar and preferring C++03 over anything until that point for that. Get exposure to more languages. C++, C#, python, Javascript to name a few big ones from the top of my head. I am still not sure where Rust, Go, and other "hipster" languages are going yet to say whether they're worth learning for the future. JAVA, however, is weird. Wouldn't want to tell to learn it due to how JAVA likes being JAVA, but companies are still using it.
idk im just bad with programming i probably don't put enough effort, because math or cs, i always learn basics and then i suck when things become advanced. I've only touched C and java (i can read a bit of python and assembly) but seriously they're all basics so im kinda worried and so i'm trying to do more advanced stuffs. like github. tho idk what im doing 80% of the time.
java is java. java seriously is just java. it's such a meme at this point
but my high school cs course was learning java and my cs course for next term is java too fuck i hate java
i dont remember anything about oop, oops
Hika
I’m a CS major and I’m not taking the bait
Comfy Slippers

Hika wrote:

I’m a CS
Hika

Hika wrote:

I’m not
Ryoid
Tl'dr
Topic Starter
abraker

Ryoid wrote:

Tl'dr
last paragraph
[-CeMAqpOP-]kee
shut up retard
Ryoid

abraker wrote:

Ryoid wrote:

Tl'dr
last paragraph
right, it does make more easier thanks
kai99
lmao in my cpsc course our ta's literally apologizing about how shitty and hard the last assignment was he's like it was shitty i know that was horrible im sorry and we're all like k lol
Topic Starter
abraker

kai99 wrote:

lmao in my cpsc course our ta's literally apologizing about how shitty and hard the last assignment was he's like it was shitty i know that was horrible im sorry and we're all like k lol
I feel you. I was a ta before.
kai99

abraker wrote:

kai99 wrote:

I feel you. I was a ta before.
i applied for ta, i need $$
-Makishima S-

kai99 wrote:

#include<stdio.h>

int main(void){
int num1 = 0;
int num2 = 0;
int value = 0;
char a = 0;

printf("Which calculation do you want to do? \n 1. Addition\n 2. Subtraction\n 3. Multiplication\n 4. Division\n");
scanf("%c", &a);
printf("Please enter the two numbers you want to calculate!\n");
scanf("%d %d", &num1, &num2);

switch(a){
case '+':
value = num1 + num2;
break;

case '-':
value = num1 - num2;
break;

case '*':
value = num1 * num2;
break;

case '/':
printf("%d/%d = %lf", num1, num2, (double)num1/num2);
break;

default:
printf( "EksDee" );
break;
}

return 0;
}
Just make the calculation as input and use Regex to split numbers from math sign. A bit more complex algorithm allows to calculate more complex operations. Math operations priority is similar to how math works so you are just left with parsing and sorting user input into computer language. Also it looks like newbie code but still nice, despite having logic problem.

@abraker: putting millions into CS is not a bad idea IF this money are spent into proper scientific departments. Right now what in my opinion we are missing is Artificial Intelligence and Software Development. Even that I finished SE department as engineer, it was poor in term of gained knowledge. You can pretty much learn what is in collage by reading "ABC of programming". Only good point of it is that you have specific algorithm classes but they are made in pure math language, not related to programming. It is in student head to translate this into programming and often, they make mistakes. Easiest algorithm - Fibonacci series - I saw a lot of people struggling in translating this into specific language despite having no problem at all solving it in algorithm class.

More money should be spent into scholarship, specific into increasing teachers knowledge, giving them more time to teach "the deep dark side" of CS which people really interested in topic learn in home, optimizing classes because, let's be honest, marketing + law + physics etc which was over 100 hours in my collage gave me literally nothing in term of profession, everyone could use this over 100 hours to learn more about programming.
Topic Starter
abraker

[Taiga] wrote:

@abraker: putting millions into CS is not a bad idea IF this money are spent into proper scientific departments. Right now what in my opinion we are missing is Artificial Intelligence and Software Development... More money should be spent into scholarship, specific into increasing teachers knowledge, giving them more time to teach "the deep dark side" of CS...
This is about high school level. Getting students that know 0 shit about code to know something. So what you are mentioning is ways off what they are planning to put this money into. The saddest thing is that this will prob going to end with students learning Scratch at grades 9-12.
kai99

abraker wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

@abraker: putting millions into CS is not a bad idea IF this money are spent into proper scientific departments. Right now what in my opinion we are missing is Artificial Intelligence and Software Development... More money should be spent into scholarship, specific into increasing teachers knowledge, giving them more time to teach "the deep dark side" of CS...
This is about high school level. Getting students that know 0 shit about code to know something. So what you are mentioning is ways off what they are planning to put this money into. The saddest thing is that this will prob going to end with students learning Scratch at grades 9-12.
haha funny when it's not even grades 9-12 man
Topic Starter
abraker

kai99 wrote:

abraker wrote:

haha funny when it's not even grades 9-12 man
Something in me just died