forum

Playtime per day to became good

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nit0ri
so im playing osu for 61 days now and i really like the game:3, im playing like 3 to 5 hours per day i since i really love the game i would like to became good fast. ive already fc a lot of 4* map and i got like 1500 pp. am i playing not enough? or too much? tks for answering :)

sorry for my bad english
Mio Winter

yohan43 wrote:

so im playing osu for 61 days now and i really like the game:3, im playing like 3 to 5 hours per day i since i really love the game i would like to became good fast. ive already fc a lot of 4* map and i got like 1500 pp. am i playing not enough? or too much? tks for answering :)

sorry for my bad english
You're playing too little. That will always be the answer. : P

Really, what could possibly be the answer here? The more you play, the better you'll get. It's like asking "how many desilitres of water per second should I pour into this barrel in order for it to get full?"

Well, maybe not. A warning about playing too much could be fruitfwl. If you play too much, you could permanently damage your hand, and then you won't be able to play anymore. What I do is that if I one day notice my hand hurting, then I can tolerate it for a bit, but if my hand continues to hurt the next day, I don't play until my hand stops hurting.

P.S. Nice improvement rate!
Edgar_Figaro

yohan43 wrote:

sorry for my bad english
My advice is to play like you are, but take 1 or 2 days break every week. This way your hands have time to rest and you'll actually play better after the break. Kinda the old "Sharpen the saw" type of mentaltiy. You'll improve more in the long run by taking periodic breaks than never giving your hands a chance to recover.
N0thingSpecial
Yes you're playing more than enough to ignore your social responsibility which will lead to your biggest downfall in life you've ever experienced.

Keep up the good work buddy
burakku

yohan43 wrote:

sorry for my bad english

If you want to become good at anything you have to invest time and mental strength; be intensely focused for 1 hour per day at most.Anything more will grant you diminishing results. Take a break for 1 day per week.
Also, don't try to enforce this rule as religion, if you believe you have had enough of the game then stop; if you believe 1 hour is too much for you then play less.

Also, responding to posts #2 and #3, you will never get Repetitive Strain Injury(RSI) as long as you don't type above your ability.
A bit of strain on the hands is alright(since you need to type above your ability to progress) but too much strain can cause RSI. And it seems that most people have the tendency to overwork their hands, whether it's Osu! or typing 8-12 hours a day at work.
LahiruVIP
the bare minimum is like 1 hour a day so you are playing enough. note that pp does not equals skill but it can helps to show it.
I also never got a problem playing to much(since i mostly play 1 hour a day).
One thing that can help is a mechanical keyboard since I heard it can improve your stamina etc.
Also train where you're bad at (like streaming or jumps) and try nofailing song that you can't play and get used to AR10 and AR11.
BTW i'm also an 4* star player.
Yolshka

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

yohan43 wrote:

sorry for my bad english
My advice is to play like you are, but take 1 or 2 days break every week. This way your hands have time to rest and you'll actually play better after the break. Kinda the old "Sharpen the saw" type of mentaltiy. You'll improve more in the long run by taking periodic breaks than never giving your hands a chance to recover.
I want to see hard evidence backing your claims up.Why would you improve if youre not playing?
Surely you'll stop if it hurts, but other than that i don't think taking breaks does anything useful as far as improvement is concerned.
I demand an explanation.
favela
your neglsi his rleay bad i cantu dnesrastna anything pleas
Topic Starter
Nit0ri

LahiruVIP wrote:

the bare minimum is like 1 hour a day so you are playing enough. note that pp does not equals skill but it can helps to show it.
I also never got a problem playing to much(since i mostly play 1 hour a day).
One thing that can help is a mechanical keyboard since I heard it can improve your stamina etc.
Also train where you're bad at (like streaming or jumps) and try nofailing song that you can't play and get used to AR10 and AR11.
BTW i'm also an 4* star player.

i already bought myself a mechanichal keyboard:3
Topic Starter
Nit0ri

favela wrote:

your neglsi his rleay bad i cantu dnesrastna anything pleas

?
favela
ure playing too much you should stop it's not healthy
Edgar_Figaro

Yolshka wrote:

I want to see hard evidence backing your claims up.Why would you improve if youre not playing?
Surely you'll stop if it hurts, but other than that i don't think taking breaks does anything useful as far as improvement is concerned.
I demand an explanation.
Well it's the same reason why you don't lift weights every day as the best way to build muscle is to let the muscle heal and grow stronger than before. Although "finger muscles" might sound laughable the same thing does apply, especially if your trying to push to a higher bpm than you've been able to play in the past.
Mio Winter

Yolshka wrote:

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

I demand an explanation.
I think many people have the intuition that taking breaks is good for becoming better at something. The reason, I think, is that they have taken breaks sometimes and when they've returned, they've noticed that they are better than they remembered they were. This has happened to me on at least three different skills (classical guitar, Gop and osu!). Still, I don't think it's true that you get better by taking breaks. It just seems too counter-intuitive.

Edit: Just noticed Edgar's reply above. Yeah, when building muscles, taking breaks does help. osu! is mostly a cognitive skill, but for muscle-dependent subskills like streaming speed and stamina, taking breaks may help.
Zedek117

Yolshka wrote:

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

I demand an explanation.
I can confirm the getting better after breaks thing. I've done it many times where I don't play for a couple of days and when I came back a lot of songs just felt easier. Rest is important.
eldnl

Mio Winter wrote:

Yolshka wrote:

I think many people have the intuition that taking breaks is good for becoming better at something. The reason, I think, is that they have taken breaks sometimes and when they've returned, they've noticed that they are better than they remembered they were. This has happened to me on at least three different skills (classical guitar, Gop and osu!). Still, I don't think it's true that you get better by taking breaks. It just seems too counter-intuitive.

Edit: Just noticed Edgar's reply above. Yeah, when building muscles, taking breaks does help. osu! is mostly a cognitive skill, but for muscle-dependent subskills like streaming speed and stamina, taking breaks may help.
It may have something to do with how entertaining the game feels, if you play too much you'll get bored (and stressed) at some point, that's where the break comes in, and after a few days you will want to play again, doing it better.
burakku

Yolshka wrote:

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

yohan43 wrote:

sorry for my bad english

I demand an explanation.

When you do an activity that requires muscle coordination(like Osu!) you need to build muscle memory, muscle memory is stored in your Central Nervous System(CNS). Naturally you want to rest your CNS after a day of muscle coordination exercises. It's all about CNS training, works the same as when athletes like Usain Bolt train to be faster at sprinting.
Mio Winter

burakku wrote:

Yolshka wrote:

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

yohan43 wrote:

sorry for my bad english

I demand an explanation.

When you do an activity that requires muscle coordination(like Osu!) you need to build muscle memory, muscle memory is stored in your Central Nervous System(CNS). Naturally you want to rest your CNS after a day of muscle coordination exercises. It's all about CNS training, works the same as when athletes like Usain Bolt train to be faster at sprinting.

Learning habits is similar to building muscles, but they are two different processes. Muscles are built by first breaking down the muscles and then letting them be built up stronger than they were. Resting is important for building muscles because you have to give the muscles time to heal before breaking them down again. (Forgive me if I have that wrong; I know next to nothing about muscles.)

Building habits is a bit different. There is no breaking down and restoring of nerves. Instead, it's like carving a path through a forest by walking it over and over. I don't see why resting should be important to this process. Aside from things like resting enough to manage to stay focused on the game and getting enough sleep.
burakku

Mio Winter wrote:

burakku wrote:

Yolshka wrote:

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

yohan43 wrote:

sorry for my bad english

I demand an explanation.

Learning habits is similar to building muscles, but they are two different processes. Muscles are built by first breaking down the muscles and then letting them be built up stronger than they were. Resting is important for building muscles because you have to give the muscles time to heal before breaking them down again. (Forgive me if I have that wrong; I know next to nothing about muscles.)

Building habits is a bit different. There is no breaking down and restoring of nerves. Instead, it's like carving a path through a forest by walking it over and over. I don't see why resting should be important to this process. Aside from things like resting enough to manage to stay focused on the game and getting enough sleep.

I think that's true though you never know how science may disprove this claim in the future.

You are probably right here and after reading articles for a few hours in order to find hard evidence about me claiming that "naturally you want to rest your CNS after a day of muscle coordination exercises" I came to this conclusion:
You don't need to take rest for whole days. None of the articles I read had hard evidence, so it's most likely anecdotal. Also found this comment on a site:

And if you are wondering why I claimed that, it was because of this article: https://www.brianmac.co.uk/cns.htm
And while this article mentions only gross motor skills I figured it also applies to fine motor skills(like tapping keys while playing osu).
Mio Winter

burakku wrote:

[snip]

Reading articles on neuroscience and exercise is definitely the way to go to learn osu! : D

(I follow this rule: if anything inspires you to read articles on neuroscience, let it inspire you to read articles on neuroscience. Because neuroscience is cool.)
Velura
play more™
plz enjoy game™
take a break every once in a while to prevent burnout™
Don't play maps way above your difficulty in hope of gaining skill super quickly™