forum

Playing on a 4k monitor in Mania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[Crz] Invictus
I've been looking to get a 4k monitor for sometime but i'm not sure if the input lag would be too much for mania and if there are any mania players out there that play with a 4k monitor or have tried with one. How different is it from a normal 1080p monitor in terms of the movement of the notes? Is it more blurry and or more laggy I guess you can say?
aitor98
Playing with a 4K monitor would be meaningless I would say. I haven't tried one though, but the only thing that could affect to your gameplay would be buying a 144hz monitor or higher. Even with that it is still kinda useless imo. Pretty sure there's gonna be big differences quality wise (can't really tell which ones) but thoese differences will not affect your gameplay in any single way. I would rather buy a monitor with low imput lag (1ms is good) than a 4K cool ass monitor tbh.
abraker
You should try a 640x480 setup for that arcade feel instead. You are gaining nothing by going higher resolution. Higher resolution is more relevant in fps, adventure, or other games that are made with enjoyment of graphical artwork in mind.
NightNarumi
I have a 4k monitor with 75hz.
A higher resolution will not help you much.
It's practically the same as a simple 1080p 75hz monitor.
Gracie-
A 120hz 1080p monitor will be better than a 4K.
Vladimir Puchin
I have 1080 screen but play at 720 to reduce the latency. A small 120Hz monitor will definitely be better.
ReTLoM
i play in a tiny window :)
https://puu.sh/ygzip/f119acdefd.jpg
Yuudachi-kun
I play 1080p on a 1080p 27 inch monitor wee
iridi
My main laptop has a 4k screen and my 2nd has a 3k screen. It's been a while since I last tried mania but iirc there were some sizing issues with premade skins (since people generally only make skins for HD, not UHD) but no other issues. There wasn't a noticeable difference in gameplay.

Input lag is not a thing that depends on the resolution, it mostly depends on the monitor's own capabilities (i.e. you can have low-res monitors with terrible input lag and high-res with almost no lag), as well as your PC's specs (i.e. don't bother with 4k if your computer is old and slow). They'll tell you about input delay on the product listing or box.

Keep in mind that there are general sizing issues with 4k still because most programs are not designed to run at that resolution; osu! supports it fine by default, but almost everything else will either be too tiny to read or upscaled & blurry. Even things like Steam that attract PC enthusiasts don't have high-dpi support yet. And if it's a good monitor, resolutions that would normally look OK on a 1080p monitor (like 720p) end up looking pixelated and bad in comparison, meaning if you also watch movies on it or something, you're always going to have to go for the higher quality versions for it to look passable.
I would honestly not suggest 4k unless you have a lot of self-loathing. Wait a few years for developers to catch up and for prices to go down.
abraker
I play on a 1600x900 laptop screen letterboxed to 1400x900

unconventional resolution wee