forum

No

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Reedent
no
Endaris
osu! is really all about training yourself to react to circles based on habits ingrained in your brain.
It is not possible to play any difficult beatmap with conscious aim and tapping because your brain would simply be too slow.
Consciously trying to do something you can't do yet without is what trains you in the end though so you shouldn't stop doing that.
autoteleology
Your subconscious is much better at playing than your conscious mind.

At my level, it barely feels like it is me playing the game anymore, I'm just aware of what my body is doing and I don't think about it unless I'm trying to solve a mistake.
Topic Starter
Reedent
no
Topic Starter
Reedent
No
N0thingSpecial
This will sound stupid but aim to hit as much notes as possible rather than aiming for FC

Thinking about hitting the notes helps with hitting the notes, thinking about FCing doesn't help you with hitting the notes, that's he best explanation I can give
Mio Winter
(Feel free to skip my overly long posts D: I have too much free time...)

It could be that you observe to be failing more often when you concentrate simply because you tend to concentrate more on the hard parts. Your misses would then not be because you were concentrating, but rather because you were playing a hard section of the map.

Endaris wrote:

osu! is really all about training yourself to react to circles based on habits ingrained in your brain.
It is not possible to play any difficult beatmap with conscious aim and tapping because your brain would simply be too slow.
Consciously trying to do something you can't do yet without is what trains you in the end though so you shouldn't stop doing that.
Basically this. Consciousness is its own set of circuits in the brain. If you want your signal to go through conscious reflection before you actually hit the circle (so that you're able to make choices based on predicted outcomes etc.), it has to travel a much longer distance (distance measured by the number of neurons and the length of neurons it needs to travel) in order to reach your hand to make the movement necessary to hit the circle. The only way you can do osu! quickly is by cutting out that extra distance between the area of the brain that gets the visual input (it sees the circle) and the area of the brain that sends the signal to the hand. One way the brain makes that distance shorter is by neglecting to send it through the area of the brain that does conscious reflection.

But! I still think paying attention to osu! makes it faster to learn even for experienced players. Here's why. (This is speculation based on my own very limited understanding of neuroscience, so make sure you have plenty of salt at hand.)

So far, I've said that this brain path

[visual input of circle on screen] → [calculate how to move hand in order to hit circle] → [send instruction signal to hand]

is shorter than this path

[visual input of circle on screen] → [calculate how to move hand in order to hit circle] → [consciously deliberate about whether this is the best choice, debate the pros and cons of all options you have] → [send instruction signal to hand]

Which is to say that if you want to do conscious deliberation before you send the instruction, your hand will receive instructions much later.

But you can also decide to "pay attention" to what is going on, simply by running the conscious deliberation in parallel. The signal path will then look something like this:

[consciously deliberate whether this was the best choice in order to learn for future cases]

[visual input of circle on screen] → [calculate how to move hand in order to hit circle] → [send instruction signal to hand]

In this case, the signal doesn't go through conscious deliberation before an instruction is sent to the hand, but the signal rather branches out, in order to 1) process what to actually send to the hand, and in order to 2) consciously think about whether this process was optimal and whether it needs fixing for future cases.

This post (click) from LessWrong goes into some the neuroscience of this.

Attention control is critical for changing/increasing/altering motivation
Let’s consider one actual experiment [4]. Scientists measured and mapped the area of an owl monkey’s [SSC: somatosensory cortex, an area of the brain] which became activated when one of his fingertips was touched. The monkey was then trained to hold that finger on a tactile stimulator – a moving wheel that stimulates touch receptors. The monkey had to pay attention to the stimulus, and was rewarded for letting go upon detecting certain changes in spinning frequency. After a few weeks of training, the area was measured again.

As you probably expected, the area had grown larger. The touch-processing neurons grew out, co-opting surrounding circuitry in order to achieve better and faster processing of the stimulus that produced the reward. Which is, so far, just another way of showing plasticity of cortical maps.

But then, there is something else. The SSC area expanded only when the monkey had to pay attention to the sensation of touch in order to receive the reward. If a monkey was trained to keep a hand on the wheel that moved just the same, but he did not have to pay attention to it… the cortical map remained the same size. This finding has since been replicated in humans, many times (for instance [5, 6]).

So I try to pay attention as much as I can when I play osu!. I have found that playing maps I struggle a lot with helps me pay attention. If a beatmap doesn't manage to hold my attention, I try something harder. (And finding something hard isn't difficult for me, since I am bad. Tip: Be forever bad so you always have something hard to try.) Needless to say, I never FC anything...

N0thingSpecial wrote:

This will sound stupid but aim to hit as much notes as possible rather than aiming for FC
Fxjlk
Train both.

Because you use both.
DXPOHIHIHI
lol lmao, me too.

When I put my mindset into irrelevant things, I surprisingly get a longer combo and I don't slider break.

while if I focus on osu, I keep combo breaking and I keep slider breaking