forum

how effective is forearm tapping as a technique?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
deemoplayer47
there's tapping using the finger, there's tapping using the wrist (which every competitive player seems to use), then there's tapping with the forearm which I doubt anyone mainly uses. What's the difference between all three?
Yurumo
Well, they should be self explanatory...

Tapping with your fingers is using your feet to tap, tapping with your wrists is using your ankle,
and tapping with your forearm is when you use a baguette to smash the keyboard.

Since I don't know anyone who taps with their forearm, I can't really explain it that well.
Well, there's BeasttrollMC.
People say that tapping using only your fingers gives you more finger control.
I'd bet most people use finger tapping for streams and bursts, and use their wrist to singletap though.
eyjafjallaaaaaa
I've tried forearm before and I think it's quite good. It really helps with high bpm single taps and maintaining good rhythm accuracy although I'm already very used to wrist for single tapping and finger for streams/alt.
Topic Starter
deemoplayer47

redcrosssix wrote:

I've tried forearm before and I think it's quite good. It really helps with high bpm single taps and maintaining good rhythm accuracy although I'm already very used to wrist for single tapping and finger for streams/alt.
Ooooooooooo now the way pianists use their whole arms to play makes sense. can't believe i'm that stupid *facepalm*
I'll implement this then, see how I do. I'll now do forearm tapping for =>1/1 (and 1/2 or the bpm is low enough), wrist tapping for 1/2 and 1/3 (including =>1/1 and 1/2 if I decide to play too long and tire my forearm out; not 1/3 if the bpm is too high), and finger tapping for 1/4, 1/6 and 1/8 streams/stacks (not 1/8 if the bpm is too high ofc).

edit: "not 1/8 and 1/6* if the bpm is too high ofc"
zeplic

Pawnables wrote:

Well, they should be self explanatory...

Tapping with your fingers is using your feet to tap, tapping with your wrists is using your ankle,
and tapping with your forearm is when you use a baguette to smash the keyboard.

This is a fantastic metaphor when comparing it to performing real music. Nice one