Yasuharu Takanashi - Fairy Tail Main Theme [KIRBY Mix]
DJ YOSHITAKA - FLOWER [Intense]

GODDAMN YES

Perfect map list, this time you guys did an AWESOME job \:D/
-Lennox-
lol my map.
cr1mmy
GladiOol
Ehhh... the balance in this map list is pretty far stretched. I think this is the worst map list because of it.
A map like 'Furries in a Blender - Ridorii' shouldn't be in the same list with a map like 'Pendulum - The Vulture'.

One being pretty hard, the other being quite easy ):
Mismagius

GladiOol wrote:

Ehhh... the balance in this map list is pretty far stretched. I think this is the worst map list because of it.
A map like 'Furries in a Blender - Ridorii' shouldn't be in the same list with a map like 'Pendulum - The Vulture'.

One being pretty hard, the other being quite easy ):
the "balance" was exactly created like this because people kept complaining about a single type of map being chosen for the owc.
KRZY
Technically, whatever the map pool is, it is the same for every country so there should be no discussion of "balance" in the first place.

That being said, if a map pool consists of only easy maps or only hard maps, it is likely to benefit the weaker countries and the stronger countries respectively. If a map pool consists of stream maps only, it will favor some countries over others. Same thing happens if a map pool consists of jump maps only. Other categories might be high/low AR, high/low HP drain, etc. An ideal map pool should include maps of every category: hard/easy, streamy/jumpy, and so on.

Looking at this week's map pool, I see that it is a bit on the difficult/streamy side. However, there are maps included to ensure that not every map in the pool is harder than the average ranked map, so I think we will be fine.
GladiOol
Yes, and you should find a good balance between jump, stream, low AR, high AR etc. maps.
That hasn't been done here. :/

Sure, Reunion and that furrie map thingy fit together real well. One is jumpy, other is streamy. Both of about the same difficulty.
But if you look at Vulture, it's way easier compared to those 2. And no, you shouldn't look at ''less pro'' countries. Everybody should play at the same level. Either make the maps easier, or consistent with the harder ones.
Wishy
Please remove those EXTREMELY easy maps from the maplist, the picks are great but having those insanely easy maps there makes it look bad (don't see anyone picking them though but whatever).
Mismagius
If a country is pro enough to FC hard maps, why can't they do better at easy maps than the weaker countries? It's not like everybody is going to SS the maps on the damn cup.
Sakura
K please stop spamming now
thelewa
http://osu.ppy.sh/mp/2129293
nobody posted this so I will post it now, Finland won
KRZY
ragewala so good
NatsumeRin
1. Stop the stupid spam.
2. Congrats Finland, ragelewa pro.
And no, you shouldn't look at ''less pro'' countries. Everybody should play at the same level.
This is a World Cup for 32 contries, not something only Japan/Korea could play. Or let's say, when you're facing the Japan team i'll pick a map list full of stupid hard apps and you could play at the same level?
The balance between stream/jump is something we staffs already pay attention on from the first round, about the difficulty level it's mostly judged by personal feelings. You said The Vulture is too easy then ok, let's guess the FC rate on that map?

Maybe you still can't agree with me about the "balance" i want, then:

Blue Dragon wrote:

If a country is pro enough to FC hard maps, why can't they do better at easy maps than the weaker countries? It's not like everybody is going to SS the maps on the damn cup.
maay
I liked the map choices so far, especially the ones for the 2nd round

also congrats to finland, thank you for leaving us out of the owc
Agnes
This is a disappointing display.
Mara

Agnes wrote:

This is a disappointing display.
This, pretty much.
Derekku
We can just lock the thread if all you guys want to do is spam and troll.

If you want to have your "fun", then please take it elsewhere (preferably away from osu!).

EDIT: Alternatively, we can start handing out mod queues to those that are abusing their posting privileges.
Derekku
It's not "fun" for the people trying to actually read the thread when there's a full page of spam, insults, and nonsense.
Wishy
Well you can have that or everyone complaining about random stuff, it's up to you guys first thing is actually fun, discussing ends up in flames. :s

I mean this thread is pretty much crap there is nothing important here except people reporting time tables or matches, and since everyone has played by now and stuff you don't really bother anyone by having one or two pages full of shit but w/e.
eddieee
ok. so not everyone agrees with the mappool? I think we should complain less. look at the progress in organising a event like this on osu! last time was rly crappy, now, you guys are doing a awesome, mayB that is because a certain person (cheater) isnt here anymore:)
hard maps or easy maps, they are still osu maps. owc is not like ranking, you play whatever the mappickers say you play!

gj guys gg no re
Shiro
France vs Portugal has been postponed to 11th, 18h00 (GMT+0).
NeoRainier

eddieee wrote:

mayB that is because a certain person (cheater) isnt here anymore:)
Really an awful thing to say...i won't add anything else to stay IT.

About map choices, during the last TWC there was also some huge diffspread between beatmaps in the same list (still most of the maps were easily fcable during group phase)...but i don't remember there were lots of complains.
Couldn't it be considered:
Harder maps = highest combo
Easier maps = best acc
...and also don't forget randommisses ;)
GladiOol

NatsumeRin wrote:

And no, you shouldn't look at ''less pro'' countries. Everybody should play at the same level.
This is a World Cup for 32 contries, not something only Japan/Korea could play. Or let's say, when you're facing the Japan team i'll pick a map list full of stupid hard apps and you could play at the same level?
The balance between stream/jump is something we staffs already pay attention on from the first round, about the difficulty level it's mostly judged by personal feelings. You said The Vulture is too easy then ok, let's guess the FC rate on that map?
3 of team miss 1 on the vulture, FC rate = 25%
3 of team miss 200 on one map, FC rate = 25%

????

Anyway, all I'm saying is that the maps should be balanced in difficulty. It totally isn't now. I have 3 years and 4 months playing, modding and mapping experience. I guess I can tell when stuff isn't balanced out, like now. So please don't come up with a bullshit story like ''personal preference''. I'm just saying you should be more careful about balance next round, but I guess I may not say that because then you will put up hard maps when we face Japan. OK BRO, I TOTALLY GET UR LOGIC.

And indeed, you shouldn't look at the countries playing like you are doing now. You should make the best possible fucking map pool for that round. You should never, ever, fucking dever look at the countries still involved. If it were for me, I'd remove those ''harder'' maps, because it's way too early to be adding those in. It's only group stage...

But I guess balance is something which is silly for me to say, maps should be ranged from loleasy to WTFBBQINSANE next round. This way everybody will be pleased aparently.
NatsumeRin
3 of team miss 1 on the vulture, FC rate = 25%
3 of team miss 200 on one map, FC rate = 25%
Awesome, who's that FC guy?

Anyway, all I'm saying is that the maps should be balanced in difficulty. It totally isn't now. I have 3 years and 4 months playing, modding and mapping experience. I guess I can tell when stuff isn't balanced out, like now. So please don't come up with a bullshit story like ''personal preference''. I'm just saying you should be more careful about balance next round, but I guess I may not say that because then you will put up hard maps when we face Japan. OK BRO, I TOTALLY GET UR LOGIC.
Obviously you don't, you're shouting "balance" all the time, but hey, let's definate the word balance. In your opinion it means all maps in the list should be at the similar level, but what i call "balance" is there's a range between maps, 2~3 easier and 2~3 harder, with an average level fits most of the country. Yes, i'm trying to please everyone, it's hard, it's a world cup, damn.

And indeed, you shouldn't look at the countries playing like you are doing now. You should make the best possible fucking map pool for that round. You should never, ever, fucking dever look at the countries still involved. If it were for me, I'd remove those ''harder'' maps, because it's way too early to be adding those in. It's only group stage...
Why i shouldn't look at the countries. Imagine you're a teacher and here's your students, when you want to make an exam for them at least you should know their level right?
Too Hard? none of the map has >10% fail rate except for the Extra (and Leia in Round 1), where's the hard plz?

But I guess balance is something which is silly for me to say, maps should be ranged from loleasy to WTFBBQINSANE next round. This way everybody will be pleased aparently.
That's just the way it works now. You could play hard maps as you wish when it gets to elimination or even final, good luck.
GladiOol
You think it works, I think it doesn't and that it's horrible.

Also, with the first part I meant the fact that ''FC-rate'' is just retarded, as a team can get 25% FC-rate on both maps while screwing up one way more than the other. Doesn't mean they are of equal ''hardness''.

Also, I don't shout ''balance'' every time? I only did now you dipstick twat.

And yes, I see balance as all maps being of about the same level each round, making it fair.
Dropping in easier and harder maps in the same map pool is just tedious.

Also, if you really try to please everybody, make a consistent/balanced map pool. That's all I'm saying.
But apparently that means shouting out BALANCE LOL BLANACE KLGLRLL every time.

Well, fine, but I'll be back next pool if that shit won't be balanced out as well. I've been silent about the first 2, thinking it would all be better as I had faith in a better map pool opposing to last year, but I guess not.
NatsumeRin

GladiOol wrote:

And yes, I see balance as all maps being of about the same level each round, making it fair.
Dropping in easier and harder maps in the same map pool is just tedious.

Also, if you really try to please everybody, make a consistent/balanced map pool. That's all I'm saying.
Could you ask around before posting, plz?
Edit: I don't see the point of getting 14 similar level maps together, seems you do, maybe some others do, and what you're saying is you're pretty sure all the guys like the "consistent" set, prove it?
GladiOol
I thought it was quite the common sense to want a balanced map pool. I guess not according to you?
But I'm too lazy to ask around, besides, that's your task. I'm just here to tell you your map pool isn't balanced.
NatsumeRin

GladiOol wrote:

I thought it was quite the common sense to want a balanced map pool.
ye.

GladiOol wrote:

I guess not according to you?
We have different opinion about "balanced", and hehe, no, people don't want a balance map pool in your meaning. Maybe they're weaker than you and you'd like to poot them as you said before.

GladiOol wrote:

But I'm too lazy to ask around, besides, that's your task. I'm just here to tell you your map pool isn't balanced.
I'm not too lazy so i did. Learn to add "imo" in your sentence when you're not telling a objective fact.
GladiOol
When we're talking about a opinion based something, it's quite logic it's ''in my opinion'' ?¿?¿?¿?¿? I GUESS NOT AGAIN \:D/

And what? I never want to ''poot'' anybody? When did I say that? Besides, what I've said is remove the harder maps. It's way too early in stage to be adding those in. I'm actually in favor of the weaker countries. I don't want to ''poot'' ???? anybody. The fuck.
Dangaard
Hello there guys, I've followed the discussions and rants (and spam) here. We understand that people might not be satisfied with the choices we are making, but starting arguments about every single map in the pools is runining the fun to everyone else. The spread might not be the optimum every round, but as some people mentioned already: the better team will win regardless of the conditions. Having dislikes for some specific maps in general is another question, though.

Also there are quite a lot spam posts (by usually the same few people) that keep pushing down the quality level of this thread to a point, where this can barely be considered an official tournament anymore. It might be true that this is just a game, but people are spending efforts into organizing this, so showing some respect would be appreciated. If you don't like this event, you are welcome to leave and at least let others have fun.

Good Luck on round 3 everyone!
Salvage
i agree with gladi, i'm not a good player and i think that making maps that everyone can play it's more balanced than this, 2nd mapset was great and this one not so much, for example if u put let's say japan or korea against a small country then they could pick two really hard maps of the "balanced mapset" and get 2 free wins.

on the other hand the maps of the previous mapset had maps on the exact difficulty level imo (atleast i'd put those kind of maps on the group stage) and every team could play them and fc them.

also

Dangaard wrote:

the better team will win regardless of the conditions. Having dislikes for some specific maps in general is another question, though.

oh then i don't know why do we even play this, let's just give wo wins to the top teams.
Dangaard
You are misunderstanding this statement. We don't know the best team yet, but whoever this might be should be able to win on any map.
Yoru-hide
I think we need to stop debate about maplist. The choice is made, we will wait for the next round
maay
Now then if my neighbours are done with their daily crying...

Rin, I think you said something about maps being picked according to the player's skill? That's ok with me but why would you pick something like reunion for a group stage? How many people do you expect to be able to keep up with that deathstream?

Really, we are talking about a group stage here, it's full of players with average fingers and cheap keyboards. Even if some of them are overall decent/good, their skills mean nothing if they fail at that stream (which will happen a lot, you just watch).

This should go without saying but osu! isn't all about key smashing. I'd have you look at Metro for example (sry bro). He is overall a BEAST, he can FC pretty much anything with insane acc but he can't really do Shinsekai. And then you guys pick Shinsekai for the next round (Mendes > reunion > Shinsekai?) and kill the potential of some really good players.

tl;dr reunion was a lame pick which will give unfair results imo
CXu
Actually, either "all hard maps" or "mixture of both" is fine by me. I still don't really like the mapset this time around, though for some other reasons.

Wishy22 wrote:

but really most of those maps are possible to FC in a single play if you're decent..
Eh, Hinarin is 60% copy-paste where the copy-paste makes weird anti-jumps. Then there are those slowdowns on sliders that look exactly the same as the previous ones. And the last copy-paste, it suddenly isn't. Possible to FC in a single play? Well, yes, but all maps are. Likely to be FCd the first time around? not really. I know for sure I sliderbroke on the slowdown the first time I played that map

Oh and So Fabulous have some weird 1/3's I can't read even after grinding the map for some time.

Which is what I don't like with the maps this time around. Some of them aren't really sight-readable.

Wishy22 wrote:

But well I know your playing style and you won't really change your mind, ever, until you realize some stuff Metro and me told you a thousand times already but w/e.
Yeah, now let people enjoy this game the way they want.

Anyhow, having a difficulty spread isn't a bad thing, honestly. If all the maps are almost the same, then what do we need 10 maps for? just make everyone play the same 5 maps, lol.
Salvage
Not really, the point is that if you play agaisnt a country that it's a bit better than you in terms of playing those maps and fc them (and your country just CAN'T fc them) you'll get atleast 2 auto loses, and you'll get a bit of a chance to win the other 2, the problem there is the 2 auto loses, not the other 2 ones that don't really matter-.

in maps like the previous round, an average team could actually beat a top tier team if some of their players miss there, and that could just happen, they're persons and specially here, a normal team could do better and that it's the point of this tournament atleast in my opinion.

for the record i'm talking about the group stage, after that the maps could totally change cause the teams remaining are ofc better.
Wishy
Solution: practice every map during a week.
Lesjuh

Salvage wrote:

Not really, the point is that if you play agaisnt a country that it's a bit better than you in terms of playing those maps and fc them (and your country just CAN'T fc them) you'll get atleast 2 auto loses, and you'll get a bit of a chance to win the other 2, the problem there is the 2 auto loses, not the other 2 ones that don't really matter-.

in maps like the previous round, an average team could actually beat a top tier team if some of their players miss there, and that could just happen, they're persons and specially here, a normal team could do better and that it's the point of this tournament atleast in my opinion.

for the record i'm talking about the group stage, after that the maps could totally change cause the teams remaining are ofc better.
When you lose it's because the opponent is better than you, not because of the mapset. Sooner or later you'd get beaten anyway. The group stage is an elimination round. The weak countries drop out and the strong countries advance. Simple as that.
Salvage

Wishy22 wrote:

But well I know your playing style and you won't really change your mind, ever, until you realize some stuff Metro and me told you a thousand times already but w/e.

oh about that i think you're talking about yourself there, except the part that you don't change your mind even in that situation.

and my playstyle doesn't really matter actually, i'm talking about how the mapset it's not balanced, either with me or without me playing it, so yeah, it's not like you read any post before answering to it anyways, it's like you won't ever change your mind about absolutely anything rofl what's the point of arguing with you being wrong all the time zz booring.

Lesjuh wrote:

When you lose it's because the opponent is better than you, not because of the mapset. Sooner or later you'd get beaten anyway. The group stage is an elimination round. The weak countries drop out and the strong countries advance. Simple as that.

so you're saying that if let's say us get past the group stage it doesn't even matter cause we'll get beaten anyways to taiwan after

like why do we even play this anyways rofl.
show more