forum

DOS Games

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mara
Let's have some discussion about old DOS games. There are some golden stuff in there, and I remember few of them. Windows 7 and Vista can't do DOS games anymore, but for our luck there is DOSBox.

I was playing this amazing game I was playing when I was younger - Jetpack. For some reason, this version has more sounds and these sounds are annoying. In my version you didn't hear sound effects when collecting stuff or teleporting. You can hear these new sounds really well due they are more high quality than normal sounds.

Also, that game is amazing.

Another awesome DOS game is of course - MDK. Loadsastuff, action, killin' and shit. It's short if you are exprienced player, but damn. When I was kid and I was playing that game, shit was cash.

SPOILER
I had real CD for that game, but I broke it about 2 years ago. ;__;

I'd also like to mention Wings, but oh well. I need some friends to play that game with me.
Nachy
I still play Doom and Duke Nukem 3D regularly but well if we're mostly talking some more obscure/games that didn't get a good port from DOS to modern systems then I can remember some really praiseworthy games

This one is The Last Express, it's an adventure game by the guy who made Prince of Persia, it was out in 1997 and let me tell you it was waaaay ahead of its time. It plays like your standard point & click adventure game, you talk to people, solve puzzles, get stuff, and you get to test your reflexes some action quick time events along the way. But what makes this unique to other adventure games is that it's all in real time (excluding some scripted events like sleeping or cutscenes that is a time skip that is in context with story) and other than that, all characters have their own unique AI with their own tasks, habits, schedules and it's different every time.

Let's take for example, the first time you get to Monday at 8:00 AM you see a Russian and a French person eating breakfast, the next time you play the game they could be instead chatting in a cart or even doing some suspicious stuff. So let's say you're trying to steal something from someone's room, so you wait for that someone to leave, you can either try to set up a distraction, like knock on the door, or maybe you're feeling like a ninja, get to your room's window and climb out and just shimmy down to the person's room, or could just of course wait for that person to for a lunch break.

The story itself is pretty good, it takes place in 1914 and a lot of political stuff during the war is involved in the game, so expect a lot of notable nationalities as well. There are about 30+ endings, with a lot of them being non-standard game overs, and one proper ending as the best if you get it all right. Plus you won't even know you screwed up till the last minute or so, or perhaps the next day. It's the aspect of true consequences that makes the game really fun and intense, and where you have to try and figure out which time you want to revert to fix the problem gives it a higher challenge and replay value than most adventure games.

Another notable adventure game with some hard consequential aspect is KGB, or Conspiracy as the name of the special edition where Donald Sutherland plays as your dad in FMVs. This one doesn't hold your hand, it's basically what you'll expect if you were a KGB agent during the years of the fall of the Soviet Era. You'll die a lot, you'll make a lot of enemies, you'll piss people off and you're definitely not gonna win a happy ending. It's really open ended for an adventure game with time delayed consequences, multiple paths and choices, and you can even punch and fight anyone you meet.

Of course gotta mention some more well known classics, we got the Monkey Island series and of course Maniac Mansion. This is adventure gaming at its finest. Witty humor, great puzzles, awesome storyline, and an amazing cast of very memorable characters. It's also worth mentioning it spawned a lot of other great sequels and classics like Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle. These games always had been a childhood landmark for me and I still revisit the games yearly, including the newer ones like Tales of Monkey Island. It's definitely worth playing for those who already haven't.

The Dune series is also pretty great, both the RTS and the adventure game. Any RTS fan will find Dune is in the same caliber as Command & Conquer's Red Alert with its fun and intuitive design, as well as its engaging storyline, especially seen in the earlier adventure game of Dune.

The Elder Scrolls had always been a beloved RPG that is especially popular for its open world and lore to explore, making traversing the land wandering randomly and finding dungeons or doing side-quests while the player can safely ignore the main quest even after a whole lot hours of playing. Daggerfall is especially not an exception, on what could possibly be the biggest Elder Scrolls game in terms of land with 487,000 square kilometers to walk upon along with more than 15,000 towns, cities, villages, and dungeons to find. It's a deep RPG even to its day and age and it's definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the series or eagerly waiting for Skyrim

Oh by the way, speaking of MDK, MDK 2 had an HD remake that is fully compatible with modern systems plus it looks really pretty, giving more personality for the characters especially Max, Dr. Hawkins and Kurt, which makes a worth while revisit on one of the best 3rd person shooters out there. It's only available on Beamdog as of now but it's cheap and it's worth every penny.

adam2046
And the award for things that seemed better when I was a kid goes to:
mm201
OMG Jetpack!
I made some pretty sweet levels which I can puush soon if anyone's interested. I also made some trashy levels when I was a kid which I will not puush.
The sounds for collecting lollipops ("gems") and treasure were always there, but they used Adlib. I guess your PC you originally played it on didn't have an Adlib-capable sound card? DOSbox emulates Adlib, which is why you're hearing them now.

A special shout-out to C&C Tiberian Dawn and Wolfenstein 3D, for eating up all my time as a kid.

Edit: My decent Jetpack levels here
Topic Starter
Mara
Yeah, my PC was really shitty back then. Is there a way to make DOSBox to think there is no Adlib-capable sound card? And I'll test your maps soon.

The Last Express really sounds like a game which came from the future. I totally gotta try this.

SPOILER
I didn't enjoy MDK2 as much as MDK1. It's still good, though.
Fight69
I should redownload DOSBox to play to System Shock again.
Lybydose
Magic Carpet 2.

It came with the PC or something.
adam2046

Computer games from the 80s were so amazing in 1995.

LunaticMara wrote:

The Last Express really sounds like a game which came from the future. I totally gotta try this.
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/last_express_the
Gomo Psivarh
The first video game I have ever played :D

Has anyone played this?

awp

Gomo Psivarh wrote:

Has anyone played this?

[attachment=0:f7878]rap.PNG[/attachment:f7878]
Is that Raptor? Fuck, I remember that, Fury 3, and Descent.
Gomo Psivarh

awp wrote:

Gomo Psivarh wrote:

Has anyone played this?

[attachment=0:59001]rap.PNG[/attachment:59001]
Is that Raptor? Fuck, I remember that, Fury 3, and Descent.
THAT'S IT :D
Topic Starter
Mara
Oh god, I remember that game too! I just didn't understand it so well back then...
heintsi
Hmm.
I used to play lot of dos games, but to say few examples, these

So complex for its time imo.

And this (oh the frustration)

I also remember playing good ol' stunts and larry games(well practically lots of sierra and lucasarts games) + wing commander..

Edit: Oh, and I won't even try playing wings any more, i got lots of headache because of that game back then when i installed it from MBnet Huvi & Hyöty XX cd~ Maybe it was because of sounds, and there were also so much going on at once..
Topic Starter
Mara

heintsi wrote:

Maybe it was because of sounds
You can disable sounds from the options menu.

Too bad Wings' online multiplayer doesn't work. :(
Cheer-no
Tomb Raider 1 and Rayman 1. Two of my favorite childhood games ever. <3
Randy96
uhh.. Oregon Trail?
FisHie_old
monochromesandwich
I still play Red Alert 1 & Sam & Max: Hit the Road.
0_o
Commander Keen ftw
Zelmarked
Yarissa
all of my nostalgia. i played through monkey island again for nostalgia's sake the other day, and it turned out to be much better than i remember it being
show more