forum

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rainbowwwwwwwww
Sandy Hoey
Everyone improves at a different rate. That doesn't mean that practicing more won't help you improve though. The phrase, at its core, is still a valid statement.

You do also have to realize that it is a blanket statement and that you still have to focus on particular strings to improve. It is like when cereal commercial say it is a 'part' of a nutritious breakfast.

If it is t fun, stop playing. It's only a stupid game. CLICK THE CIRCLES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Topic Starter
Rainbowwwwwwwww
Sandy Hoey
I think you can, but it will be super slow improvement and the chance are that you will pick up some bad habits along the way the will stunt your growth in the future. There is a sweet spot for improvement (in everything, not just osu!) and that is just outside of your comfort zone. In osu! terms, I would say that is around mid acc (93-5%+) A. But lots of people have their own opinions
Skeletroll
You can't "handle" 5* or even 4* yet. Being able to play a beatmap well means you have at least 95% accuracy (shoot for even higher like 98%+) regardless of the combo. FCing maps shows a level of consistency that mashing through a song a full star level higher than what you can handle doesn't, hence why FCing and accuracy play a huge part in the ranking system. For now, I would focus on getting your accuracy fixed.
Topic Starter
Rainbowwwwwwwww
dung eater
It might be more enjoyable if you just try to play well. Set yourself goals like passing, not spammin or getting x acc in some maps. It's fine to play really hard maps but you shoyld be able to play easier maps easily, too.
-Makishima S-
play more, just like that
Skidayo
btw do you remember how many 'w' is in your username every time you login?
Sayorie
Maybe because your friend, simply, is naturally better at this game than you are?

You can't beat a genius by trying to be a genius yourself.
Don't devalue your hard work just because he did it so much faster than you. Just focus on yourself. This isn't a race.
Play more.
Endaris
We say it, because it is true.
Look at these statistics:
p/4744270

You're right of course if you say that pp alone isn't a good metric to tell how good of a player you are.
But that is the moment you should enter multiplayer and play every sort of map there - including ones that are not going to give you any pp.
kai99

Skidayo wrote:

btw do you remember how many 'w' is in your username every time you login?
he probably has it saved but im curious too

play more is a valid help. just order your beatmaps by difficulty, start with 4*, play up the stars and you'll notice you cant fc some (~4 misses) and stop when you start getting Bs and/or fail
then go to group by rank achieved and play all the A maps, sorted by difficulty
rinse and repeat
N0thingSpecial
'enjoy game' and 'play more'

These four words are all that I need to rank up
Atara
Based off of your post you think PP or Rank is skill/improvement which is completely off. Maybe the reason your friend is better than you is because you are wasting all your time on trying to FC maps that you don't play for skill.

When people say play more that doesn't mean waste all your time to pull your hair out on constant retrying for a few PP. It means to play more of what you enjoy doing in the game. Like playing your favorite songs, or maybe your niche is playing hard maps. Do what you like and stop stressing yourself.
Naoise
spam those pp farm maps
honestly, you should improve your acc and instead of getting 85%s on 4.5* no mod, consider playing 3.5-4* maps with HR.
Celine
then go play once a month and tell mw do you improve faster than when you play actively
Kondou-Shinichi
just fucking play everything
my name is hi
getting higher rank doesn't automatically mean that person's better (to a certain extent)
The #1 way to get better is to play more, no matter how long it'll take.
If you play for rank only you'll climb without getting much better and then you'll hit a block until you've actually gotten better.

The best thing for you to practice rn would be your accuracy. When you get better with that you'll get so much more pp for every map you finish.

Play more always applies but if you play mindlessly you won't get any better.
Play more but play smart, that's how you should do it.
Faye
You're friend is a faster learner than you.
The PP system isn't necessarily perfect.
You can't handle 5* properly yet. (neither can I. I'm only getting around 92%~ acc)
Play more may be a dead meme, but it's relevant nonetheless.
I played consistently for a while, got a lot better. I play less now, my skill stagnates.
You have a performance graph for a reason, try utilizing it and play maps you enjoy.

Hope this addresses some of your issues
NightNarumi
Play more as in practice more, it's not like that you can get the same amount of improvement within a given time.
Some people just learn and improve faster than others.
I mean, not counting short breaks, if you don't play at all, you won't improve, so play more is still a valid argument.
fatkidscantosu
Don't compare yourself to your friend or to anyone else.

Compare yourself to yourself ! Were you a better player a week ago ? If not, then that means you improved, congrats ! Enjoy the feeling of improvement and keep going, it doesn't matter the speed of which you improve . All that matters is that you are making progress. Enjoy that and enjoy the game. And play more :)
Minodrec

Endaris wrote:

We say it, because it is true.
Look at these statistics:
p/4744270

You're right of course if you say that pp alone isn't a good metric to tell how good of a player you are.
But that is the moment you should enter multiplayer and play every sort of map there - including ones that are not going to give you any pp.
Just to be clear. I agree that key to improvement is pratice hence "play more" isn't a bad advice.

But statistics are my job and the conclusion on the linked thread are just wrong.

Correlation does not imply causation...

If anything it prove that players who didn't earned pp stopped playing sooner...
Remember that pp gain is one of the rare positive feedback osu! give you as a game. Their is a hudge number of article on the importance of such feedback in player retention. I'm more prone to affirm that earning pp makes people play more.

Again practice is key and you have to spend the hours. But having a good attitude is even more important than the raw amount of hour per day. "Keep playing/praticing" seems more accurate than "play more". Maybe "Stfu and keep playing !" if you want to keep the spirit in one liner.
winber1
haha scrub
Honeylon
We all start as scrubs.
Kondou-Shinichi

Honeylon wrote:

We all start as scrubs.
we still are.
Deva
Play more also means play a wider variety of maps.