forum

Where do you start with wrist tapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Munqy
Like, seriously. How and where do you go to best start learning this?
And PLEASE don't come with your BS like.. just play the game, do what feels natural, ew dont copy others, etc... please firetruck off, okay?

I'm currently doing 6* beatmaps but I feel like I'm using my fingers only which leads to problems when doing fast streams.
I'm a single tapper a lot sometimes even for doubles or triples.

Now... I read today that tapping with wrist is probably the way to go when playing this game because you'll be able to tap a lot faster and do your streams efficiently.

Thing is.. I honestly can't tell if I'm using only my fingers and/or my wrist.
I mean.. when doing streams my fingers obviously go extremely fast and am able to do 200BPM+ with my fingers only,
but even then I can still see my wrist moving slightly.

Not like other famous streamers who actually try to catch a fly first by raising the palm of their hand 500 meters up and then smashing it onto their keyboard, but still..
it moves just a little.

I don't know if I'm tapping with wrist, fingers or both. And when I try doing it on 6*, I'm focusing way too much on my hand and pretty much failing anything.
I just can't tell if I'm doing this right.

Any tips or tricks on where to start and how to know if it's my wrist or only my fingers? :)

+++++ I also read somewhere that holding your thumb beneath your index finger helps, but I dont see how this helps and why? I use my middle finger to tap on the Z key, index on X. And when holding my thumb underneath my index I occasionaly let go because I'm more focused on my middle finger. +++++
SeishunLL
So, I used to play with my wrist rather than with my fingers alone but it hurt a lot more than playing with my fingers just because of how hard it was to repeatedly lift up my wrist for faster jumps. One surefire way to tell is if you're tapping with your wrist is if your wrist feels more stressed/hurting than your fingers. It may seem obvious but that's a pretty easy way to tell. Streaming is also a weird thing as it utilizes both your fingers and your wrist for the constant, fast movement your hand goes through for say 200+ BPM streams.

As for starting out, I would suggest to play lower difficulty maps that you wouldn't fail if you didn't 100% focus and try on to pass. Try playing maybe 1-2 stars lower than your usual difficulties you play regularly. You also may want to change up your main tapping finger just to see if something else feels better and you might want to hold off on practicing streams until you get single tapping down. Also see if you like your wrist hovering or on your desk/table while playing which might help increase stamina. Just start off slow and work your way up and it will become a lot more comfortable over time. This will give you an easier time adjusting to the new playstyle and let your hand gradually adapt though this will take time, days, maybe weeks or even months but be patient, the scores will come.

Also, holding your thumb beneath your main tapping finger is all personal preference and playstyle, I've tried it before and it does not suit me very well because of the shape of my hand, but hey, it might work for you, so try it! There are a couple of top players who do this such as Cookiezi but don't expect yourself to be Cookiezi level just by doing this, remember you also have to play this game a lot before reaching that level.

Overall, it comes down to what fits YOU and how you want to play. That's the beauty of osu! and why this game has so many dedicated players. No one is telling you how or what to play and is completely up to you!
Topic Starter
Munqy
Hello Seishun,

thanks for answering while staying extremely informative since nobody else on the forums seem to bother anymore.
Seriously though.. out of every post I made there were only 2, max 3 people replying. Out of the thousands who read it :|

Either way I tried some lower difficulty maps but I'm honestly not seeing any difference. I got the whole single tapping with your wrist down already, I know how it works now. But while doing streams my brain just tells me ''Use your fingers again, not your wrist'' and that's exactly what happens. I guess i've gotten so used to it that it's now automatism.

So I'm afraid that if I do things differently from now on that I for one won't be able to keep the skill level I am at right now (I mean.. I'm noob enough already, dont want it to get any worse). Or could you inform me wether or not that to be true? That if you do things differently you totally forget how to do your main method?

Also I tried changing my tapping finger to my index finger instead of my middle finger because I held my thumb underneath it and it feels more natural but then again same thing happens what I told you about my brain. I've gotten so used to using my middle finger that it's become a habit.

And using the middle finger as tapping finger while holding your thumb underneath your index just feels extremely weird.

I'm just afraid that I'm learning things wrong, doing everything wrong and it's becoming such an habit that it's nearly impossible to learn it the right way.
We all know that if you keep on practicing the faulty way you'll end up getting worse and worse because you're pretty much training a wrong method.

Do you mind if I add you? Might be helpful for me if I have any further questions :P
SeishunLL
Lol I wouldn't mind if you add me :).

So I do know how you feel in that changing playstyles will degrade skill and how frustrating it can feel to suck and wanting to revert back to the old playstyle but don't worry about it, that't the best tip I can give regarding this along with patience. From what I see, it looks like you haven't invested as much time into scores so one thing I would do is to download and play as many maps as possible at a difficulty you can pass with a new playstyle. Yes, it won't feel fantastic barely scraping by with a B grade but you just have to make yourself push through it.

I have changed playstyles at least 5 times since i've started playing osu! over the two years i've played and trust me, I've felt like absolute shit when trying to even pass a song that I could before. But again, trust yourself and keep playing, that's how everyone who is good at this game went through it and even helped me with things outside of osu! because of the patience and resolve I developed playing osu! If you ever feel like you're trying way too hard, just take a break, whether that's for an hour or a week, just keep moving at your own pace, that's the main piece of advice i'll give you.

So just keep playing at your own pace and the skill will come, you just have to be patient with yourself ;)
Skidayo
I'm not joking but for some reason i learned wrist tapping by watching this god liveplay and playing osu while imagining her xd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2uJ5mFxHbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5te5tnXbeQ4

btw I think finger tapping is better than wrist for speed
Atara
The way I learned wrist tapping is by playing DT and other single tap demanding maps. after you keep playing these sort of maps it begins to come naturally.
NestLover
Im tapping with wrist if the song too damn slow.. so i can maintain my finger control.
But its hurt my nail
my name is hi
I find finger tapping to be faster than wrist tapping, honestly.
The way I started wrist tapping was just me trying out new things^^. I legit learned how to do it by playing more... Sorry

(you should try lower * maps, even if it doesn't seem to make a difference)