forum

Mouse vs Tablet? :/

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Im Bad W
Hello everyone,
first time posting anything on any kind of forums so please be gentle if i posted this in the wrong topic.

In short, I got to rank #57k with a mouse in 8/9 months (Deathadder Elite) and recently my girlfriend borrowed me her Huion 420 for a while, I've played all day with the tablet and I tried going back to my mouse and my aim just died. I don't know if I should pursue learning the tablet or stick with my mouse.
Tablet for me is a lot of fun, though since the pen has a battery my hand starts the hurt after playing for half an hour since my grip is weird but most comfortable for me. I don't know how much time it's going to take for me to become better with the tablet if I used it all the time and if I'm going to be better with the tablet. I was thinking of buying the xp-pen G430 since it's also cheap but the pen doesn't use batteries. I'm just stuck with thoughts "Should I stick with my mouse or continue getting used to tablet?" because if I get used to a tablet it's going to be hard to get back to mouse. I played with the tablet for 1 day and I already feel like my mouse skills started to fade away. :(

TLDR; Stick with mouse or learn the tablet?

PS: My goal is to hit 10k rank, doesn't matter how long it's going to take, so I want to be as good as I can now so when/if I reach 10K ill start playing for fun and stop caring bout my rank. :) :D
levesterz
Well just choose what you like the most .It doesnt matter you are using mouse or tablet . In the end we are just smashing button anyway.
Ryoid
I already try both by trying my friend tablet
But in the end i stick with mouse back then so it was up to you. try what you feel comfortable with
Topic Starter
Im Bad W

Mara wrote:

tablets are for fags
LOL MARA COOKIEZI SNIPE?

levesterz wrote:

Well just choose what you like the most .It doesnt matter you are using mouse or tablet . In the end we are just smashing button anyway.

Ryoid wrote:

I already try both by trying my friend tablet
But in the end i stick with mouse back then so it was up to you. try what you feel comfortable with

Alright, I'm better with the mouse but I feel like I can hit hard jumps easier if I get used to the tablet. I'm going to play around with the tablet, if I feel like it's not working I'ma switch back.

PS:Thanks for the replies gooiss n grills c:
Jun Maeda
Tablet is best

But i use mouse..... please help xd
Endaris
Feeling awkward on mouse is normal after trying ANY new aimdevice for a couple of hours.
It is a tough decision, personally I tried tablet but in the end I felt like I couldn't do the change, perhaps because I'm too used to mouse and to impatient to relearning tablet. But I also have 3 times your playtime so maybe you'll have an easier time to adjust.

The key thing about tablet is that it is much much easier to learn but almost as hard to master as mouse. The question you have to ask yourself after your first impression is if you can catch up to your mouse skills fast enough. And please notice, this is not only about pp-maps. What frustrated me the most when trying to play with tablet was playing maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/187836 that are rather flowy and speedy. Maps that I had been very comfortable with on mouse. Tablet is very quick to pick up on straightforward aimmaps but not really on that, so maybe see if you can play at your friend's place again and play all these different maptypes before making a final decision.
pundice
Personally, I use mouse, and I like it better due to it being easy on the hands (mouse drift is a pain in the ass though, especially when you're trying to get an fc), also because the grip is better. Pen & Tablet are also good, and they can also be accurate if you have a good grip. But personally, I prefer mouse.
Topic Starter
Im Bad W

iSlodinx wrote:

Tablet is best

But i use mouse..... please help xd
I PLAYED WITH A TABLET AND LOST ALL MY MOUSE AIM PLS SEND HELP ;C

I already have the 75-80% of my aim back however I gotta get my acc together, I feel like I'm learning the game for a second time kind of. I care about my rank but I don't grind pp whatsoever. I started feeling like I've hit my limit with the mouse, i stopped improving at one point and when I switched to tablet and played with it for one day I started hitting jumps i usually couldn't, I think I'll catch up to my mouse skill in a month or two at max. I guess it would be a fun experience in my opinion, if anything happens I'll switch back (I could take a pause from osu! And play overwatch and csgo and bam my aim is back) but is it worth investing my time to get used to a tablet if it's a Huion 420? (For all the bad reviews out there I don't seem to be having any larger gamebreaking problems, the only thing is that the old V8 drivers are not working and with the new ones i can't lock my aspect ratio on the active area meh :/) I mean I am planning to get the xp-pen G430 if I get used to this, I just don't know if it's an upgrade or a downgrade, the G430 pen doesn't use batteries so I wanna try that as well.

TL;DR Osu! Is hard I suck and want to be Angelsim
Topic Starter
Im Bad W

Endaris wrote:

Tablet is very quick to pick up on straightforward aimmaps but not really on that, so maybe see if you can play at your friend's place again and play all these different maptypes before making a final decision.
Thanks for the tip, didn't really think about different map types, I'ma check the one you mentioned and a couple of others to see how I do, I mean it hasn't been 2 days since i started using the tablet so we'll see after a week or two how I do, I just somehow feel like the tablet is ruining my aim in games like Overwatch, idk that's just me, takes some time to convert back to mouse I guess.
Mio Winter
Use mablet. I do, and I'm the best osu!-player ever. *nods like I mean it*

N0thingSpecial
Touch screen
Fxjlk
There is no empirical evidence showing which device is better.

Base your judgement on whatever feels better to you personally.
eyjafjallaaaaaa
imo mouse is better. You don't really need to worry too much about grip and its effect. The further away the jumps the more I find problems with pen angles differ at different spots on the tablet which messed up my aim.

Also the fact that no.1 of thailand use mouse and a player like riviclia who was the first non-touchscreen pass of fool moon night emilia diff and he doesn't even use a kb, really makes me think if the whole tablet>mouse thing was actually a huge scam xd
Topic Starter
Im Bad W
Just wrote a huge paragraph and accidently deleted all of it (ffs),

TL;DR
Depends on the player and what rank are you, if you got to rank 30k with a mouse then just stick to it, my #57k rank is mediocre for me so I'ma put time and effort into perfecting the tablet. I'm going to play a bit less osu! Than other games because if I use the tablet too much and go play Overwatch after that I just can't aim for sh*t.

PS: Even though some players who replied are lower rank than I am, I respect all of you since most of you started playing way back than I did, you've probably experienced different mapping types and changes in the game and the community. I respecc (wiman) all thoughts, critics and opinions so don't be scared to say something or message me if something's bothering you irl, in the game or just wanna play. ;) :D
Thanks goiss and grills. :) :)
Topic Starter
Im Bad W

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Touch screen
IMO TOUCH SCREEN IS OP KAPPA
Endie-

Mara wrote:

tablets are for fags
Endaris

NajboljiSam wrote:

Depends on the player and what rank are you, if you got to rank 30k with a mouse then just stick to it, my #57k rank is mediocre for me so I'ma put time and effort into perfecting the tablet.
Don't call it 30k, call it 650h raw playtime.
There are many people who got much farther rankwise in that time.
Mio Winter
Here's my speculative theory which is probably wrong.

Emilia plays tablet-only for jumps (keyboard for streams and stacks). Riviclia plays mouse-only. Riviclia is one of the fastest players (correct me if I'm wrong) and Emilia is near Cookiezi-level when it comes to jumps (correct me if I'm wrong). They both excel at what they do, and they both have unconventional playstyles.

In these cases, I think their playstyles are a factor in why they excel at what they are good at. Specifically, playing with mouse-only and tablet-only require your to optimise a smaller number of neurons (or a smaller region of the brain, if you will) than playing mouse/tablet + keyboard. I think this makes it faster to learn. In addition, because moving and clicking with mouse or tablet pen without keyboard requires fewer neurons, I think it's easier to acquire high speed because you have to execute less complex mental operations for every jump.

In addition, I think singletapping requires less complex mental operations for every jump than does alternating. So if it weren't for the fact that limits on finger dexterity makes singletapping fast hard, then I would expect it to be easier to learn jumps and speed with singletapping. (It may be true that jumping with singletap is easier than alternate on some speeds, but I wouldn't know, since I've only alternated.)

Of course, using tablet-only or mouse-only comes with its own trade-offs. Emilia is near Ming-level when it comes to acc, and Riviclia misses on the easiest parts because he has to adjust his grip all the time, but it might be easier to learn speed and jumps with these playstyles.
Atara
literally, the only thing that makes tablet better is that it uses absolute input meaning if you place your pen on the bottom of your tablet your cursor will be on the bottom of the screen and etc. Which makes it much better for muscle memory. on the mouse, if you feel slow then learn to play with high DPI/Sensitivity and turn on raw input.

Summary
Tablet: Better for muscle memory with jumps because of absolute input.
Mouse: Better for accuracy since you don't have to worry about shaking and the mouse will stop on an absolute spot but tablet can overshoot easily

MORAL: USE WHAT IS COMFORTABLE AND DON'T LISTEN TO MOUSE/TABLET CONTROVERSY
SeraphBoiii
Tablet players are cheaters
xsdenied

Mara wrote:

tablets are for fags
lmao mouse ftw
GPR

xsdenied wrote:

Mara wrote:

tablets are for fags
lmao mouse ftw