forum

Do You Feel Guilty When You Get "Easy PP" From Maps?

posted
Total Posts

Do you personally farm "easy PP" maps?

Yes, I have no shame or just don't care.
38.17%
Sometimes
41.49%
No, I don't associate with filth.
20.33%
Total votes: 241
show more
worst fl player

Momiji wrote:

that's not how it works for me because i'm inconsistent and not clairvoyant, i don't know what will end up easy and what won't.

so i do feel bad that my pp has to come from aim farm which is my weakness, but i don't feel guilty because aim is randomization to me

i want to get pp from stuff i actually play but until then i will shamelessly farm jump spike maps with a good spacing to bpm ratio (for example choco butter choco cookie feels a lot harder than 6.6 stars for me because it's 204bpm and thus high spacing) whenever i feel like i have enough luck tokens in my inventory
C LO V E R1!
eyjafjallaaaaaa
Seeing my marathon HR FC PP count gets toppled by a 60 second map HDDT that I retries like 5 times to get it certainly makes me feels guilty. Now my top play is one of those map too. I'm not very happy about it. Although, I think I deserves every bit of pp I get from these maps since I FC those with my own skills. If the system says 60 seconds with accuracy is better than consistent 13 minute play then so be it.

Manfred wrote:

Do I shrug off this mindset, and farm away and not give a fuck? OR should I just stick to what I do now and slowly dwindle in rank? Neither really feel good, because as I watch my rank decline I feel like I have to farm, but then I farm and then feel guilty about it. By farm I mean try these maps a few times, get pp higher than I feel like I deserve for it and ask "How? Why?"

You have to answer to yourself on what keeps you playing this game and just go with it I think, seeing rank goes up or make some good plays (like passing very hard maps or fc challenging maps that does not necessarily gives you pp) or just simply enjoying the game.
chainpullz
Idk about feeling guilty but you should probably turn you computer off, go sit in a corner for an hour or two, and contemplate why it is that you measure your self worth by some ranking in a circle clicking game of all things.

Then when you've finished that perhaps you'll see it's silly to feel guilt or much of anything over something so meaningless.
KupcaH
My play sessions are either slow/slow technical stuff/old maps, pp maps, or trying to improve by playing high star maps/hard technical stuff.

I usually just get tilted from playing pp maps. So I actually dislike playing for pp, the only things that it brings to me is anger. <.<

And no, why would you get guilty for playing easy pp maps? unless it's choco-cookie

VanillaSandvich wrote:

I'm pretty overranked by farming some maps I think are "easy PP" but there's no reason for me to feel bad about them. What's so wrong about using the same map everyone else is farming from? If you have enough skills to farm them then go for it, and if you don't then keep retrying and hope for a lucky shot just practice until you can do it.
This guy knows
Deva
I don't feel guilty because my top play is "easy" only on cookiezi level
In reality it's extremely hard and I feel good for being able to FC something like that
N0thingSpecial

chainpullz wrote:

Idk about feeling guilty but you should probably turn you computer off, go sit in a corner for an hour or two, and contemplate why it is that you measure your self worth by some ranking in a circle clicking game of all things.

Then when you've finished that perhaps you'll see it's silly to feel guilt or much of anything over something so meaningless.
The good ol nihilist approach
Topic Starter
Manfred

chainpullz wrote:

It may just be a game to some, but sometimes to me it's more than that. When I started playing this game I told myself I wanted to become good enough to impress myself. So sure I shouldn't take it so seriously but when it comes to seeing how much I can improve at something with dedication, I have to take it more seriously than just a game. I'm not good at sports, and this may make me sound like a total loser but why treat improving at something that requires reflex, speed, control and comprehension skills less because it's "just" clicking circles.
Topic Starter
Manfred

N0thingSpecial wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

The good ol nihilist approach

The old me would probably take the same approach, but thinking so much in life is meaningless isn't too good of a way to live.
realy0_
I consider that maps that they are easy to fc with a higher accurate is ezpp for me.
chainpullz

Manfred wrote:

It may just be a game to some, but sometimes to me it's more than that. When I started playing this game I told myself I wanted to become good enough to impress myself. So sure I shouldn't take it so seriously but when it comes to seeing how much I can improve at something with dedication, I have to take it more seriously than just a game. I'm not good at sports, and this may make me sound like a total loser but why treat improving at something that requires reflex, speed, control and comprehension skills less because it's "just" clicking circles.
I don't see how your rank factors into this. Even if maps gave 0pp and rankings were non-existent you would still be able to impress yourself. Whether you are undeservedly rank 1 or just another 6 digit player makes no difference.

Maybe you trigger a few butthurt weebs whose sole life revolves around the integrity of a ranking system in a circle game but that's their problem not yours.
autoteleology
How many times do I have to address this stupid mentality.

1: http://www.troll.me/images2/syndrome/ev ... ill-be.jpg

2. Farm maps are defined by your skill level. An 817pp farm map for Cookiezi is not a farm map for you.

3. There will always be overrated and underrated maps.

4. The people who get up in arms about this dumb shit are really insecure about themselves. They are usually a perfect example of the worst kind of competitive gamer, the one that finds it easier to tear other people down than build themselves up.

5. If you're not neurotically talking to Tillerino and just happen to stumble upon a high pp reward, you'll find it comes as a pleasant surprise rather than a mess of aggravating grinding followed by self doubt. I got my third highest rank yesterday after three tries and it felt great, because I earned it at random instead of sniping it.

In conclusion, go play more and you won't have to feel any guilt.
PinkNightmares
Don't place artificial limits on yourself. If you can FC a map go ahead and do it. There is no "honor" in avoiding certain types of maps.
-Makishima S-
Sometimes... If I don't have time to play for general improvement and want to keep myself in 20-25k rank range.

B1oody wrote:

Don't place artificial limits on yourself. If you can FC a map go ahead and do it. There is no "honor" in avoiding certain types of maps.
Some people just don't accept "pp mapping" and it is a point of honor for them to not have top ranks filled with them. Simple as that.
There are people who just think that ranking = skill and farm 30s maps to get higher because of "hey, I am 4-digit, I am better than you" while they are completely irrelevant while there are people who progress very fucking slow but not a single pp farmer is able to fc ANY of their top ranks or maps what they play on daily basis.

In tournament environment, pp farmers are completely irrelevant and inferior to all-rounders, no matter what rank they are.
This thing will NEVER change, someone with worked out consistency, accuracy and stamina will always shit on pp farmer - thats why pp farmers teams never get out of group stages, there was never a situation like that where pp farmer won over a skilled player, even when skilled player was 10k ranks below a pp farmer.

When you look at any tournaments - for example 10k - 1k (or 1k - 1 at some point) range, it is VERY visible that someone who focus mainly on pp and don't give a fuck about skillsets lose to someone who mainly focus on maps which require focus, consistency, accuracy and stamina.
B1rd
I actively avoid PP most. As a consequnce, for the most part, my top ranks are filled with maps that are good and I actually enjoy, rather than generic anime map 1-100.

Look at Cookiezi's top ranks. He has some farm maps, but most of his top ranks are maps that are regarded by people as hard rather than defined by the PP system. Compare his top ranks to Rafis's top ranks. That is the difference between a player who defines skill himself compared to someone who has a system define skill for him.
N0thingSpecial

B1rd wrote:

I actively avoid PP most. As a consequnce, for the most part, my top ranks are filled with maps that are good and I actually enjoy, rather than generic anime map 1-100.
Like I honestly couldn't wrap around my head why people actively avoid farming pp, you could still pretty much rank up and have various non meta maps in your top rank like what you said about cookiezi
mulraf
i don't feel that guilty in standard. i feel guilty in taiko bc no one knows my super secret methods of farming so i feel like i'm a step of scum beyond scum ;_;..... but i guess i can live with being scum if it provides pp
Xayah_DELETED
I have a mix of PP Maps and Maps I'm simply proud of setting such a score on for the Rank I was "back then".
Everything's there, my first 200 PP is Get Jinxed, Sweet Neko and Can you understand me? both long and short version are in there, but also Maps like both Remote Controls and Endgame, because the thrill of setting such a Score was insane for me.

I am however horribly overranked for my actual skill, all I'm good at is jumps - throw me a 10 circles stream and watch the Acc go to shit when it's above 180 BPM. Yet, I want more PP and the only thing I refuse to do is Mod farming, especially since I can't DT to save my life.
Shoy

KupcaH wrote:

And no, why would you get guilty for playing easy pp maps? [spoiler]unless it's choco-cookie[/spoiler]

Read this thread, KupcaH's answer, went for Choco-Cookie after that. Thanks mate. =D
___

To answer the initial question : Even if you're getting an easy score somewhere, 2.000 players will do the same. Let's share the shame if you're feeling so. That's still not my case tho.
Risa
1st option definitely. I farm actively whenever possible!!
sinn
I can only do dt maps. Extremely overranked player here
chainpullz

Reset- wrote:

1st option definitely. I farm actively whenever possible!!
Risa
My acc is just bad. That wasn't intentional i swear! I'm always genuinely trying to maximise pp gains!
autoteleology

[Taiga] wrote:

Some people just don't accept "pp mapping" and it is a point of honor for them to not have top ranks filled with them. Simple as that.

B1rd wrote:

I actively avoid PP

B1rd wrote:

That is the difference between a player who defines skill himself compared to someone who has a system define skill for him.
Actually, in your cases, you're still letting the system define what you play.

Did it ever occur to you two that when you define yourself as anti-conformists, you're letting the people you hate control you, because you have to do the opposite of whatever they're doing, even when they're right?

Not actively chasing pp I can understand. But actively avoiding it? Get a grip.

B1rd

Philosofikal wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

B1rd wrote:

I actively avoid PP

B1rd wrote:

That is the difference between a player who defines skill himself compared to someone who has a system define skill for him.
Actually, in your cases, you're still letting the system define what you play.

Did it ever occur to you two that when you define yourself as anti-conformists, you're letting the people you hate control you, because you have to do the opposite of whatever they're doing, even when they're right?

Not actively chasing pp I can understand. But actively avoiding it? Get a grip.

Yes, I actively avoid shitty maps because I don't like those maps, nor do I want to support those maps with my plays, nor do I want to have them as permanent records on my top ranks rather than my top ranks being defined by maps I like and play. I'd much rather actively avoid PP maps that over time my top ranks being filled with nothing but TV-size this and DT that.
Sayorie
You don't really get guilty when farming pp.

You only feel like shit once you hit a wall and run out of pp maps to farm because your skill never improved from farming.
Trust
Yes.

I replaced my world's end score from three years ago with that kneesocks map as my top rank and I've felt gross about it ever since.
Yuudachi-kun
People still think like this.

This is retarded.
N0thingSpecial

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

People still think like this.

This is retarded.
dafuq you alive?
KupcaH
kelly is a freak
NestLover
Yeah i am.. im feels bad because i can get easy pp on easy map.
Almost my top 50 is easy pp map :(
Genjuro
It doesn't matter what map is it, If you like the song and want to have a good score on the map, go ahead and fc it. If you like the map and want to have a good score on it, go ahead and fc it. If you just want to play for PP and you want to get PP the easiest way possible, go ahead and fc it. there is no reason to feel guilty for doing something that you like, osu! is just a game after all. If you play the game for fun, just do whatever you enjoy. If you want to become good at the game in general, you have to play everything and this includes easy PP maps as well. If you want to be good at a specific aspect of the game and don't care about the rest then only do that. No one is going to judge you for what you do and if someone does just ignore them and enjoy the game :)
OhBoy
It feels guilty if it surpasses your actual top plays which you worked so hard on.
Kondou-Shinichi
i dont feel guilty because even easy pp takes skill lol