forum

Help on improving

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Toxi
So i can FC anything up to 4.6 stars, but i can barely pass anything over 5.5 stars, and it really bugs me, I dont know why im not improving either, ive been at the same skill level for over 3 months now.
please dont link any other threads about how to improve
Akanagi
The majority of your top plays consist of 30second farm maps, not even calculating DT.

By just playing these kind of maps you don't really learn to read (especially with DT), nor do you get any consistency, because ( I assume ) you just retry your way through these maps.

Play maps that are like 3 minutes or longer, 4*-5*, AR8-AR9 and different ranges of BPM and mapping styles so you can improve your reading. Your acc seems to be good, so you probably just lack the aim and / or reading, which prevents you from passing 5*.

It would've been helpful to know why exactly you can't pass 5*, but I'm sure it's related to reading.

TL;DR
Play 4-5* maps, and try to play maps that are atleast longer than 2 minutes (Doesn't mean you should avoid 30-1:30 songs, just try to get some variety)
Topic Starter
Toxi
Actually, i used to have a lot of different top plays, if you look at my ranking graph you can see that i lost a ton of plays, but they were all almost 1:30 to 2:30. I just didnt want to replay all those so i decided to farm and get back to my rank, which i still haven't achieved yet. And i can actually read very well, my 2 100pp plays made today were only replayed maybe twice before i FC'd them. I just get a TON of shitmisses, and those shitmisses are usually why i fail 5* maps. Ill usually hit 3 shitmisses in a row then fail, and since 5* maps have a higher OD, 3 consecutive misses is enough to fail.
Akanagi

Toxi wrote:

Actually, i used to have a lot of different top plays, if you look at my ranking graph you can see that i lost a ton of plays, but they were all almost 1:30 to 2:30. I just didnt want to replay all those so i decided to farm and get back to my rank, which i still haven't achieved yet. And i can actually read very well, my 2 100pp plays made today were only replayed maybe twice before i FC'd them. I just get a TON of shitmisses, and those shitmisses are usually why i fail 5* maps. Ill usually hit 3 shitmisses in a row then fail, and since 5* maps have a higher OD, 3 consecutive misses is enough to fail.

What do you mean by "shitmiss"?

Maybe they were, but in my experience the tiniest fraction of mistakes are actual "shitmisses" (as in: cat jumps on your lap or smthn). Chances are, again, your reading or aim isn't good / fast enough for these maps so even though you feel like you have the ability to actually hit those patterns, you might just not have them!

If you just put all your misses off as "shitmisses" that will just make you blind to your mistakes and thus staggers your rate of improvement.
Also, passing 5,5* is very high variance. You could probably pass Immortal Flame (6*), but never even come close to passing Scarlet Rose.

Higher OD only tightens the timewindow to hit a 300/100/50. HP values are what mostly determins how many misses and 100/50s you can take, OD indirectly influences the difficulty because you are bound to hit more 100s/50s on higher OD and get less HP back.

If you just want to pass 5* for the sake of it, look for your strengths and pick a matching 5*.
Good at jumps? Try Gangsta
Good at streams? Try Mythologias End

However, usually trying to pass a map on lower ranks usually tends to revolve around fighting against HP drain and finishing the map with 70%, not even understanding what was going on. You could probably pass 7* airman, too.

You already have really good acc and as you said you already made 2 good plays today already, you're not stuck or anything like that. Just try to find out what makes you miss, if you didn't already know, and work on that and you'll pass some 5,5* in no time, depending on the maps ofc.

Try this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/375648

It's mapped in a similar fashion to the maps that you play, is a bit longer, in the same BPM-range, and also comes with a 5,49* difficulty you could maybe pass, and the HP value isn't so low that you could just spam your way through it.
KupcaH

Toxi wrote:

So i can FC anything up to 4.6 stars
Don't say that.

Toxi wrote:

but i can barely pass anything over 5.5 stars, and it really bugs me
Then play more 4.9-5.4* maps. Especially 4.9* long maps, and play less pp maps if you really want to improve.
And after enough of practice, I'm sure after month or two you'll be able to pass some.

Toxi wrote:

Why? lol

Use search thing in the top, just by typing *how to improve* you'll find A LOT of useful information. And actually if you read it well, you wouldn't even need to create this thread. Because questions like these were asked million times.
gamestonk
You can't pass many 5.5 star songs cause you're not good enough, what the actual fuck. I don't know why so many 100k people think they're gods, I guess that's the point where people star feeling good about themselves nowadays?

I got my first 5.5 star S 5 days ago and it was my top play by about 10pp, which is HUGEEE.

Regarding your shitmisses, there are 2 probable causes:

1) By "shitmiss" you mean your aim is shit and you replay maps until you get lucky enough to actually hover over the circle, and then tell yourself that you're amazing, and there must be some other problem

2) You tend to miss circles (mainly jumps I imagine, cause that's a lot of the difficulty spike to 5.5) by a small margin, and you can't recover quickly enough to not fail to HP

if it's #1, you need to learn how to aim better (*cough* play more *cough*) and play longer songs. 3 minutes or more, only, and don't retry / quit early.

if #2, PLAY MORE (also I found a tablet helped me a lot w/ jumps, but there's normally a learning curve. It took me a few attempts before something just clicked and I liked it more than mouse)
dung eater
Try to click every circle. If it's too easy try something you have more problems with. If you can't do it it's not easy.
Topic Starter
Toxi

asmit10 wrote:

You can't pass many 5.5 star songs cause you're not good enough, what the actual fuck. I don't know why so many 100k people think they're gods, I guess that's the point where people star feeling good about themselves nowadays?

I got my first 5.5 star S 5 days ago and it was my top play by about 10pp, which is HUGEEE.

Regarding your shitmisses, there are 2 probable causes:

1) By "shitmiss" you mean your aim is shit and you replay maps until you get lucky enough to actually hover over the circle, and then tell yourself that you're amazing, and there must be some other problem

2) You tend to miss circles (mainly jumps I imagine, cause that's a lot of the difficulty spike to 5.5) by a small margin, and you can't recover quickly enough to not fail to HP

if it's #1, you need to learn how to aim better (*cough* play more *cough*) and play longer songs. 3 minutes or more, only, and don't retry / quit early.

if #2, PLAY MORE (also I found a tablet helped me a lot w/ jumps, but there's normally a learning curve. It took me a few attempts before something just clicked and I liked it more than mouse)
Okay, i dont consider myself 100K because i got my rank rolled back. In my opinion, i should be around 95-89k. If you dont believe me, look at my rank graph and see how i was at 101K a while back, and then my rank dropped sharply. So if I add all my new top plays, which is 3 more 100PP plays, to my last rank i would say that i would be well above my current rank. And im not saying get an S rank on 5.5* maps, i just want to be able to pass them.

KupcaH wrote:

Toxi wrote:

Why? lol
Because i have read a lot of them already, and some have helped while a lot of others haven't.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Find why you don't pass. Improve on that. It's that simple.
Example: I play "defenders" https://osu.ppy.sh/b/718156 I die because i can't aim well cs and miss = edit stream maps to small cs.

Play - https://osu.ppy.sh/b/552068&m=0 I can't pass because i miss aim the streams = practice "hard" to aim streams https://osu.ppy.sh/b/390976&m=0

Play - https://osu.ppy.sh/s/567901 Can't pass because i "shitmiss" jumps = play jump maps.

Don't have stamina to play long maps = play marathons.

If you have a specific problem with a map pattern, or you don't know how to practice something, ask at forum, or in game.
Since there are 3*-5* maps hardest than 7* and also 4* maps hardest to fc than 6* maps you should ask for more specific questions to have most appropriate responses to Improve your gameplay.

You can also practice at 6*-7* if you're able to play without mashing or spam randomly some of the maps. Skip the ones you don't feel confortable with, until you're able to start using them to learn.
PriestRSC
Play maps of songs that you like.

Don't stop doing this. If you want to get pp, take a day and play a few pp maps.

That's it. You will improve. If you're lacking in a specific skillset, play a song you like that has that skillset in it.

Don't retry, don't exit early, play the maps all the way through. Play the game for the music and you'll be fine.

Also Star Rating is a horrible measurement of the difficulty of a song. To my knowledge you could map a song of entirely 4* jumps/patterns and then map the outro as high spaced 8* jumps and make the map a high 6* or low 7* difficulty. If you want to set a goal for yourself to pass a 5.5* map, that's fine but don't be disappointed if you randomly find a 5.5* map that feels really easy (spoiler, there's lots and lots of them).
kai99
you should play more 4.6 stars im 3kpp and i play around 4.7 to 5 like cmon man
Mio Winter
Um, my philosophy is that if you want to get better at X, do X. It's probably a good heuristic in most cases, with some exceptions.

If you want to be able to pass harder maps, play lots of harder maps and try to pass them. Doesn't matter if you fail 95 % of the maps you try. You will get survive for longer and longer on those kinds of maps if you keep trying.

That's what I did throughout my (rather mediocre) osu! career, and (not surprisingly) there probably isn't a person in the multiverse with worse acc than me. Which is annoying, because being good at acc is cool (like Epiphany). But I find it too fun to try to pass maps above my difficulty level, so I continue not practicing acc.

(Note: I don't see why this would make you bad at reading. Only acc will suffer. But your acc is beautifwl, so maybe not do that...)
skiism

bla wrote:

Try to click every circle. If it's too easy try something you have more problems with. If you can't do it it's not easy.

This one made me laugh pretty hard but it's pretty 100% accurate.