forum

Can't play osu! on my laptop, with same exact settings...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Espionage724
I have 2 computers, a desktop, and a laptop. Between these 2 computers, I use the same exact mouse, same exact drivers, same mouse settings (1000Mhz mouse mod + SetPoint retaining OS acceleration, no enhanced pointer movement), and same exact settings in osu! (1024x768 resolution, 120FPS cap, no mouse precision, 1.0 acceleration).

Yet for some reason, my mouse seems totally different then that from my desktop. I don't understand why :/ It's to the point to where I can barely do songs on my laptop that I can easily do on my desktop. Any suggestions?
A8mew
Your laptop is likely a weaker machine and struggles with the osu! settings you have. It'll cause some really funky cursor movements in my experience- if you're watching closely, it'll probably look like your cursor flickers off the note in some random direction.

That could be part of it- could also be the type of keyboard.
Topic Starter
Espionage724

A8mew wrote:

Your laptop is likely a weaker machine and struggles with the osu! settings you have. It'll cause some really funky cursor movements in my experience- if you're watching closely, it'll probably look like your cursor flickers off the note in some random direction.

That could be part of it- could also be the type of keyboard.
Hmm, well I found that if I run osu! in a window at 800x600 resolution, mouse movement seems to be pretty nice. I think I also noticed my computer shifting my framerate, but then again my heat was a bit higher too until I set a framerate limit.
Raging Bull
Laptop specs might not be as high as your desktop.
100kV
Some laptops have a power saving mechanism that when running on battery runs games slower. Make sure your current power settings are not hindered. Google how to view and change your power settings.
shimushi
notebooks have often overheating troubles ... even on sh1ttiest games ... try to clean ur fans ... run cpuz ... gpuz ... and don't forget to look at process manager awhile u gaming ... in some case fps are cpu related ... if some process eats ur cpu ... u get fps ... also mouse lags
ampzz
Unless you're spending a decent amount of cash on a laptop the hardware inside it will (usually) be lacking in comparison to a same-priced desktop set-up as laptop components are costly in comparison to desktop.

The screen itself is another factor to consider.
For example, your desktop monitor might be a 2ms capable monitor but your laptop may only be 8ms or so which appears as lag and refresh rate has another notable difference when you compare 75-120Hz to 60Hz.

Espionage724 wrote:

I think I also noticed my computer shifting my framerate, but then again my heat was a bit higher too until I set a framerate limit.
The heat issue is a common problem most laptops experience should they be required to do anything remotely CPU/GPU reliant.
With uncapped FPS your laptop would've been trying to force out as many frames as possible which improves the smoothness of the gameplay itself.

As pickashoe has stated, most laptops include power saving functionality preset by default as on which slows your performance down considerably. You could just switch off when you're gaming and turn it back on again after you've finished as I used to when I went to LAN events last year.