forum

Tips For A New Mouse User(?)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Manfred
Hey people I would like to start using my mouse to aim, not because I think it will magically make me better because it's a change from my tablet or anything. I just would like to be able to switch between the 2 without looking like 2 different people playing the game. Suggest whatever you think would help, there are so many variables. I know they all come down to personal preference, but it doesn't mean I could be missing something that might help me even a bit. Pictures of the grip you hold your mouse at, high ranked osu players you have similar settings to, your settings, whatever it may be.

My mouse settings are
900 DPI
1.25 osu! sensitivity
3/11 for Windows mouse sensitivity
Mouse Acceleration off
Razer Naga Chroma 2017v (helps with WoW keybindings, sue me)
Mouse pad is aluminum 9.84x8.66in / 24.9x21.9cm

Besides just not being used to using a mouse to aim, I seem to let go of sliders early consistently when using a mouse, any suggestions on why that is?

K bye
ManuelOsuPlayer
I reccomend you to move the windows sensitivity to 6/11. Because how the software process the information. Or at least to 4/11. Chosing 3/11 or 5/11 your cursor will skip more píxeles due to maths and how software works.
Also 900 dpi + 3/11 it's such a small, small number. You will need to move your hand tons to make even a small jump. To the point you're not even winning precision with it. (Unless you have a really weird screen resolution)
I play using 6/11 1500dpi. A bit higher than usual. I come from playing 6/11 800 dpi, which i think it's a really good value where you don't lose precision and you still have good amounth of speed. I never liked how osu! manage the sensitivity so after test i decide to keep it at x1.

To get used to the new dpi or hardware changes focus on cursor travel instead circles itself or follow points. You will be able to aim way better with a new device or sensitivy.
Topic Starter
Manfred

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

I reccomend you to move the windows sensitivity to 6/11. Because how the software process the information. Or at least to 4/11. Chosing 3/11 or 5/11 your cursor will skip more píxeles due to maths and how software works.
Also 900 dpi + 3/11 it's such a small, small number. You will need to move your hand tons to make even a small jump. To the point you're not even winning precision with it. (Unless you have a really weird screen resolution)
I play using 6/11 1500dpi. A bit higher than usual. I come from playing 6/11 800 dpi, which i think it's a really good value where you don't lose precision and you still have good amounth of speed. I never liked how osu! manage the sensitivity so after test i decide to keep it at x1.

To get used to the new dpi or hardware changes focus on cursor travel instead circles itself or follow points. You will be able to aim way better with a new device or sensitivy.

I can scarcely imagine how I could manage double windows mouse speed + 600 more dpi, I'll try it but I just seriously doubt I could ever get used to that. 6/11 with 1.00x osu sensitivity and 800 DPI seems reasonable to start with on the other hand. I just don't like the movements of a mouse with really high DPI. There's no good middle ground, either rocket speed with the tiniest micro movement or none at all. Since I'm not at all used to having my hand and wrist in an entirely different position making precise, accurate movements is something I can't start with, but maybe something I can work towards.

I don't mind moving my hand TOO much to move longer distances, considering the comparison for using a tablet is me having to contort my hand awkwardly to reach the top left or bottom right corners of the screen.

One thing I noticed is I seem to be able to mentally take in what's going on with jumps better, I just lack the control to hit them reliably yet. I can map out the "feel" of the movements to the next object, whereas with a pen I just miss and think after "how tf did I miss that". I trust my whole hands movements, using all 5 fingers in unison to aim with a pen is maybe why I've always been exceedingly poor with jumps. I can't hold a pen for shit to write neatly IRL, but my mouse aim has always been fine and without problem.

Thanks for the response, I'll try those settings tomorrow.

FYI monitor resolution is 1920x1080. I'll have to fiddle until I get the right settings to really match my monitors aspect ratio.
ManuelOsuPlayer
If you want to get aim control and muscle memory really fast play 1* songs + halftime following follow points at constant speed.
Your muscles will tense more than playing 7*
N0thingSpecial
Don't really need to over complicate stuff

Finding the right sensitivity, start from the lowest sensitivity (changing resolution, in game sensitivity, dpi what ever doesn't really matter) that you can comfortably reach the corners of the play field, if it feels too slow then increase sensitivity until it feel comfortable

Aim control is something you'll gain as you play variety of maps, undertanding the pattern and gain muscle memory for those patterns, eventually you'll learn enough patterns to completely rely on muscle memory to aim (which same advice can be applied to tablet)

Try to develop a habit of following through the entire slider, despite its less effort to just not move your mouse cause snapping is satisfying, which also brings me to next point, don't force yourself to snap between notes.
Topic Starter
Manfred

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Don't really need to over complicate stuff

Finding the right sensitivity, start from the lowest sensitivity (changing resolution, in game sensitivity, dpi what ever doesn't really matter) that you can comfortably reach the corners of the play field, if it feels too slow then increase sensitivity until it feel comfortable

Aim control is something you'll gain as you play variety of maps, undertanding the pattern and gain muscle memory for those patterns, eventually you'll learn enough patterns to completely rely on muscle memory to aim (which same advice can be applied to tablet)

Try to develop a habit of following through the entire slider, despite its less effort to just not move your mouse cause snapping is satisfying, which also brings me to next point, don't force yourself to snap between notes.
I want to have the feeling of flow between notes, not like I'm stuck on a track.

I'm not thinking I'd ever be able to play with a mouse like Angelsim, but this is how I'd like to slide between notes, even a fraction of his skill would be nice to have.
d4m0

Manfred wrote:

I want to have the feeling of flow between notes, not like I'm stuck on a track.

I'm not thinking I'd ever be able to play with a mouse like Angelsim, but this is how I'd like to slide between notes, even a fraction of his skill would be nice to have.
You can't aim like that on a tablet so why would it make sense for you to be able to aim like that with an unfamiliar input device?

Your aim gets smoother the more practice you put in, if you do it right anyway. If you want to see the type of aim a mouse user at a similar rank to you has, watch one of my replays. It's really not great, and it's definitely not very smooth -- but that's the level you should be aiming for for the moment.

edit: I just watched one of your replays, I see what you mean about smoothness... I feel like that's probably just an inherent difference between the two, there's a reason most people use tablets after all. Moving a light pen around on or above a tablet will probably always be smoother than moving a ~60-120g weight on a cloth pad. If you do work out how to move a mouse as smoothly as you do a pen, please let me know :D

re sensitivity settings, I play on an effective dpi of 800 at 1 sensitivity in game and it works pretty well for me. I used to play at a lower sens (something like 450 effective dpi) and while it was nice for accurate flicks the mouse drift was an absolute pain to deal with, plus it started hurting my shoulder when I was playing faster jumpy maps.