Katamari Damacy (Y.Yano, S.Kabata) - LONELY ROLLING STAR

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
mm201

awp wrote:

Offset is 15ms early. 885 pls?
Odd. When I play it in the editor, it tells me my offset is 5ms late. (hits are 5ms early) Adjusting my universal offset to align the bleeps only makes this worse. I can play the majority of ranked maps (Hand That Feeds and Dough-Nuts being the two big exceptions) perfectly with no universal offset.

awp wrote:

[Easy]
Certain things feel awkward about Easy. There's a lot of notes on half beats, and those patterns are tricky simply because you're not clicking to the beat, but a fixed time after the beat. There's an underlying tone that they follow, but it is really hard to draw out, and not something you should be expecting from someone who plays Easy. Example here would be 00:46:76 (1,2,3,4) - sounds kinda catchy on Autoplay, but hard to pick up in game. Moving notes 2 and 3 ahead a half beat gives it a better flow imo. 00:58:94 (3) - the timing on this slider (and subsequent) just sounds too weird to me. Apart from the awkward half-beat timing everything seems really done well. Especially the chorus.
I kind of agree with you. I was told to avoid doing this for Pressing On, however, so I've been avoiding doing plain downbeats not synched to anything obvious.

I've fixed 0:46:76 and repeats. I'm keeping the sliders at 0:58 and repeats for now. They're synched to these little beeps in the background during this part of the song.

awp wrote:

[Normal] and [Hard] look fine to me though.

Oh, just one thing: the score difference between Normal and Hard is approximately 640% - peppy almost FC'd Hard on his first try and it's worth 9.5 million, so it might be too easy for that volume of points. Maybe you could shrink the notes, widen the beatspacing, mix up the patterns, or drop the slider tick rate down to 1 to offset it a little.
I'd reduce the slider ticks, but I like my 1000-combo! :) It's a long map, and that's what's jacking up the score. The big 640% is also because Hard goes longer than Normal by a lot.

I've shrank the dots, added a jump at the easy part around 4:26, and made some of the patterns in the last chorus a bit trickier. (..while still keeping to my personal style guides for this song. ;) Stacks with unstacked notes in between and covered up notes inside of stuff are fine, but they just don't go with this type of music, IMO. Save them for strange or James Difficulty levels. :P)

Edit: Thinking this might make a better (and more original) backdrop. (higher res, of course)

Edit2: Fixed some things up with MaxwellDemon on IRC. I've also finally nailed my Universal Offset, and can see the wisdom in awp's awpset of 885.</suckup>
MaxwellDemon
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
James
starred! yey free xp
MaxwellDemon
How did a bubble -> star? XD
awp
MD: cuz there's a new difficulty~

Max score is 11.8 million, but rather deserving of it imo

Download: Yohihito Yano, Saki Kabata - LONELY ROLLING STAR (MetalMario201) [awptense].osu
Topic Starter
mm201
Love it! I've repositioned some slider ends by a few pixels to line them up to the grid squares (I'm a nazi like that when it comes to my own maps. :P) and uploaded.

I'm kind of concerned, though, about the slidertick rate on Hard. Hard has a longer combo than awptense. Should I lower it? (and lose that preciousss 1031-combo) 9,559,134 does seem like a high score for a not-so-hard level. Lowering the slidertick only brings it down to 7,200,830 and gives it a combo length of 751. Hmm, convenient for the 750+ combo award, don't you think?

I think I just answered my own question. :) Slidertick rate 1 will do fine for all difficulties. (I still prefer the sound of slidertick 2, but the score balance is wrong.)

What's this about a Katamari skin you said you had on IRC? 8-)
awp
I was making a Katamari skin a while back, but never got around to finishing it...some of the elements might go well in this skin. Attaching the rar of all the skinned elements.

Download: Katamari.rar
Topic Starter
mm201
Go ahead and rebubble. It doesn't look like I'll be able to add any skin elements any time soon.

I was considering putting in the hitcircles, but they'd need a custom Katamari slider ball to avoid looking out of place, and I'm not really feeling up to it right now.

I could always do some skinning later and just post the files here to drop in the folder.

Edit: Custom hitcircles are added! These are awp's with some added "glossiness" from me. I also took awp's hitcircles and coloured them in for use as the sliderball. It rotates along the right side of the slider, with respect to the ball moving forward. This looks perfect for clockwise sliders, but kind of meh for counterclockwise ones.

osu! ate my layered master version of the coloured sliderball, so please don't ask for different colours. :(
K-S-O
awp
Why the fuck isn't this ranked yet
m980

Download: Jimmy Eat World - The Middle (Gonzvlo) [ErufenRito's Madness].osu
Topic Starter
mm201

m980 wrote:

Hard
00:56:47 (6) - Spacing. Move this closer to 5.
Fixed.

m980 wrote:

Also. Hard and Awptense goes for ~5:20. I'd shorten it by a minute or something. Unless there is a good reason why it should be 5:20. Other mods might say not to shorten it, but whatever.
Mainly that 3:40 - 4:30 was a lot of work, and that one of the difficulties was not mine, and I don't feel comfortable just meddling with it.

The play time, as reported by the editor, is 250s, or 4:10. Not especially extreme, and isn't it supposed to be okay for the harder difficulties of a map to go longer?

I will be looking for a second opinion before making such a detrimental change.

Edit: Truncated the higher difficulties. With extreme discontentment. I have included the originals for the fun value.

Download: Yohihito Yano, Saki Kabata - LONELY ROLLING STAR (MetalMario201) [Hard proper].osu

Download: Yohihito Yano, Saki Kabata - LONELY ROLLING STAR (MetalMario201) [awptense proper].osu
m980
All Good..

Awp, Skin is awesome!
Hitoshirenu Shourai
Too bad there isn't a Katamari spinner ._.

Ranked anyways ._.
peppy
If your offset feels wrong on this song, make sure you redownload the osz and delete your old copy - the mp3 has changed.
GladiOol

peppy wrote:

If your offset feels wrong on this song, make sure you redownload the osz and delete your old copy - the mp3 has changed.
Hm? I changed it 75 MS up and down from out 940.. but 940 sounds perfect to me?
Yume_old
Just wanted to say that I love the background and that the buttons are katamari. That's all.
awp

Hitoshirenu Shourai wrote:

Too bad there isn't a Katamari spinner ._.

Ranked anyways ._.
There is. It mighta been left out of the beatmap though =( I thought the spinner was really neat.
SapphireGhost

derp
I doubt this is serious enough for an unrank, but unranking was being discussed in #modhelp so I just thought I'd drop by.
m980

SapphireGhost wrote:

derp
I doubt this is serious enough for an unrank, but unranking was being discussed in #modhelp so I just thought I'd drop by.
Wtf.

Let's unrank every other map with burai sliders.

No.