forum

[Archived] Osu on mac os High Sierra wont work

posted
Total Posts
show more
Jarithium
I have the same problem. Tried uninstalling, but that doesn't work either
Loucoh
unfortunately i have the same problem :c i tried to re-install it but it doesn't work. Please fix it :C
Topic Starter
yakkk_old
yeah nothing works, wont even start. I hope it gets fixed soon.
Termog
nothing works, pls fix
Eggrollgod
Using the alpha build from http://osuosx.tumblr.com/. Looks like everyone else on high sierra is also having this problem. The last build was well over a year ago so I wouldn't hold my breath. A minor update to fix this would be nice though.
Topic Starter
yakkk_old
yeah i really want to play, would be really nice if they rolled out a patch to fix this.
Death
I'm certain they are aware at this point.
Trosk-
That MacOS build is already over a year old, so probably one of the latest MacOS updates changed something that doesn't allow that osu! build to work properly.

Since the devs are currently focused on the development of the new client "osu!lazer", I'm afraid that there won't be any compatible MacOS builds until the release of lazer, which will be compatible with MacOS and other platforms.
PixelArray
I've got osu! running on macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Sorry for the not-so-detailed instructions, but here's a basic guide...

If you have an osu!.app that doesn't work, don't delete it just yet.

1. Download and install PortingKit

2. In PortingKit, create a new wrapper called osu (File --> New Custom Port) on the WS9WineStaging2.16 engine and Mac Driver Window System.

3. When prompted to select an installer, click cancel, yes, then cancel again. (You'll get a warning, that's fine)

3. Once the wrapper is created, open the wrapper, go to Advanced --> Tools --> Winetricks and search for "dotnet40", click the checkmark and hit "run" This installs .NET Framework 4.0. (This will take a while)

4. Download the windows osu! installer from here.

5. Go back to the wrapper, and go to Install Software --> Choose Setup Executable and choose the osu!install.exe file.

6. Let osu! install into the default directory.

7. osu! will automatically open after it installs. Exit out of it.

8. For some reason, wineskin doesn't detect the launch exe, so you'll have to go to the wrapper --> Advanced --> Windows EXE and look for the osu!.exe file. (The directory should be /users/Wineskin/Local Settings/Application Data/osu!/osu!.exe)

9. Close out of the wrapper and open the osu.app itself.

10. Login and you should be able to play.

If you have an existing osu!.app and want to transfer your beatmaps and skins

1. Right click --> Show package contents of the old osu.app and go to drive_c and find the osu! folder where your beatmaps and skins folder are.

2. Copy the beatmaps and skins folder and go in drive_c to the osu! folder in your new osu.app then paste (and replace).

3. Delete your old osu.app

Note that osu may be laggier than it was in Sierra. However, it seems that all games seem to be running at lower fps since the update. Thanks Apple...

EDIT: Revised instructions
Jeni-Desu

PixelArray wrote:

Note that osu may be laggier than it was in Sierra. However, it seems that all games seem to be running at lower fps since the update. Thanks Apple...
May God bless The Porting Kit

edit: I also just remembered that somthing like this used to happen in Sierra when it first came out
silverlightcs
When I create a wrapper, it asks me to select an installer and later the EXE, I guessed that meant choosing the install.exe and then the osu.exe in Application Data. (If I'm wrong correct me on this, that's probably my problem) When I try to open the wrapper, it opens, and the osu! icon flashes on my screen for a second, then it disappears and the wrapper closes by itself.
Topic Starter
yakkk_old
Whats even more annoying is you cant even get Sierra again unless you had a previous backup. Apple literally blocks of every way other than updating to high sierra. Its really annoying. I might try using the wrapper, thanks for the advice.
Fruxh

silverlightcs wrote:

When I create a wrapper, it asks me to select an installer and later the EXE, I guessed that meant choosing the install.exe and then the osu.exe in Application Data. (If I'm wrong correct me on this, that's probably my problem) When I try to open the wrapper, it opens, and the osu! icon flashes on my screen for a second, then it disappears and the wrapper closes by itself.
Same problem!
PixelArray

silverlightcs wrote:

Fruxh wrote:

silverlightcs wrote:

Same problem!
I've edited the instructions a bit, try again to see if it works this time.
Loucoh
No new executables found!

Maybe the installer failed...?

If you tried to install somewhere other than C: drive (drive_c in the wrapper) then you will get this message too. All software must be installed in C: drive.

how can i resolve the problem???
silverlightcs

Loucoh wrote:

If you tried to install somewhere other than C: drive (drive_c in the wrapper) then you will get this message too. All software must be installed in C: drive.

I'm getting the same problem here.
PixelArray

silverlightcs wrote:

Loucoh wrote:

I'm getting the same problem here.
Around when in the process does it happen? If it's after osu! installation, then that's normal. Step 8 should fix that issue.
silverlightcs
After I select the osu!install.exe file for the Setup Executable (step 5), a few seconds pass and I get that error message.
Kneekoe
Found another good way to fix this problem.

Buy a windows computer
Fistore
Same for me. When I go to Install Software then go to drive_c > users > wineskin > Local settings > Application data > osu! > osu!install.exe I get this error.
Kawaii Nyan
Can't work ...
Termog
you can install windows through bootcamp utility
Mic238
I built a stable version a while ago and it's on github
https://github.com/Mic238/osu-for-Mac-Stable-Latest
silverlightcs

Mic238 wrote:

I built a stable version a while ago and it's on github
https://github.com/Mic238/osu-for-Mac-Stable-Latest
Thank you! Just one question, when using this version, I can't switch desktops (swiping with 3 fingers to the left/right or clicking the buttons at the top to show the different windows), is there a way to do that?

[Edit]: it seems that when I close the app, it doesn't let me open it again. (.NET framework Initialization: Unable to find a version of runtime to run this application.) I think this is because it automatically updates when opening it again, is there a way around that?
Update problem seems to be gone now (not exactly sure how, but I did change to stable/latest version if that was related).
Topic Starter
yakkk_old
You can try pressing CMD + TAB and it will switch the applications. Then you can swipe to the side.
Fruxh
You guys can use a VM (Virtual Machine).

For example buy (or crack) or try it for 14 days "Parralels Desktop" or something like this.
If you want follow these instructions.
1. Download (or crack) or try the newest version of "Parralels Desktop" (older versions don't work with Mac OS High Sierra)
->https://www.parallels.com/
2. Download the Windows installer with from the Windows-website.
-> https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10ISO
3. Open "Parralels Desktop". It will ask you to install a OS.
4. Choose "install Windows oder another OS from DVD or Image file"
5. "Parralels Desktop" should display your OS-installers. If Windows isn't there then click on select and choose your .iso image.
6. Then click on continue and Windows will ask you wich OS settings you need.
7. If you have that finished Windows will install. This will take a few minutes. (this works faster if you have a SSD-disk)
8. You are done. Have Fun with Windows on Mac and working osu!.
If you have a low framerate in osu! then choose another skin that works fine. :)
For tablet users: Your VM detect your tablet as a mouse so it does weird things.
Simply move you mouse up to your menu bar and choose devices. And choose your tablet. (For me it was "Tablet Monitor")
If you want you can try the new osu!latzer (scroll down and choose "install.exe")
-> https://github.com/ppy/osu/releases

I hope I could help you. ;)
If you have any questions then reply on this tweet.
a0206021
There is a problem in Wineskin in High Sierra, so osu! may fail to launch.

Here is the solution:
1.Right click on osu.app, and select "Show Package Contents"
2.double click Wineskin.app.
3.click "Set Screen Options"
4.uncheck "Auto Detect GPU for Direct 3D"
5.click "done" and quit the program

Then, it should work normally.
Godfi

a0206021 wrote:

Here is the solution:

Works perfectly!!! Thanks so much!!!
Gerardoesp

a0206021 wrote:

Here is the solution:

No, don't works :c
-Wolfy-

a0206021 wrote:

Here is the solution:

It worked! Thank you so much!
Akbar11

a0206021 wrote:

Here is the solution:

Thank you!!! It works!
frankengwenny

a0206021 wrote:

Here is the solution:

Does it matter what version of osu i'm using? I'm currently using the alpha release from 2016...
Fruxh

frankengwenny wrote:

a0206021 wrote:

Here is the solution:

Does it matter what version of osu i'm using? I'm currently using the alpha release from 2016...
No it doesn't.
luvouva
god bless PixelArray
Shiro-no-Yuki

a0206021 wrote:

Here is the solution:

mine doesn't work either.... :(
judiy

Gerardoesp wrote:

a0206021 wrote:

Here is the solution:

The above method works. Porting Kit is also useful to update the WineSkin version. WS9WineStaging2.16 works for me. Once Porting Kit is downloaded, use PixelArray's methods through 1,2,3,3 to download the newest wineskin. Then, go to the original osu!.app, right click-> Show Package Contents -> Double click on "Wineskin" -> Advanced -> Tools -> Change Engine Used -> Select "WS9WineStaging2.16" -> OK. Wait to complete. Finally, follow a0206021's method. This should work.
JVGamer14
I found this AMAZING video: https://youtu.be/RDjWNWM3Y7w (1st solution 2:48-6:40)
You keep your Mac version, all your beatmaps and it is very short. He explains very well what happened.
This VERY SIMPLE solution worked for me after trying all these others long, boring and complicated solutions...
enneya

a0206021 wrote:

Here is the solution:

When I do it, it keeps running the osu!updater over and over. I'm using the alpha release from http://osuosx.tumblr.com/. Is there a reason to why this happens?
Bakuretsue

PixelArray wrote:

I've got osu! running on macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Sorry for the not-so-detailed instructions, but here's a basic guide...

If you have an osu!.app that doesn't work, don't delete it just yet.

1. Download and install PortingKit

2. In PortingKit, create a new wrapper called osu (File --> New Custom Port) on the WS9WineStaging2.16 engine and Mac Driver Window System.

3. When prompted to select an installer, click cancel, yes, then cancel again. (You'll get a warning, that's fine)

3. Once the wrapper is created, open the wrapper, go to Advanced --> Tools --> Winetricks and search for "dotnet40", click the checkmark and hit "run" This installs .NET Framework 4.0. (This will take a while)

4. Download the windows osu! installer from here.

5. Go back to the wrapper, and go to Install Software --> Choose Setup Executable and choose the osu!install.exe file.

6. Let osu! install into the default directory.

7. osu! will automatically open after it installs. Exit out of it.

8. For some reason, wineskin doesn't detect the launch exe, so you'll have to go to the wrapper --> Advanced --> Windows EXE and look for the osu!.exe file. (The directory should be /users/Wineskin/Local Settings/Application Data/osu!/osu!.exe)

9. Close out of the wrapper and open the osu.app itself.

10. Login and you should be able to play.

If you have an existing osu!.app and want to transfer your beatmaps and skins

1. Right click --> Show package contents of the old osu.app and go to drive_c and find the osu! folder where your beatmaps and skins folder are.

2. Copy the beatmaps and skins folder and go in drive_c to the osu! folder in your new osu.app then paste (and replace).

3. Delete your old osu.app

EDIT: Revised instructions
You are a legitimate genius.
DoctorWeeb

Fruxh wrote:

You guys can use a VM (Virtual Machine).

For example buy (or crack) or try it for 14 days "Parralels Desktop" or something like this.
If you want follow these instructions.
1. Download (or crack) or try the newest version of "Parralels Desktop" (older versions don't work with Mac OS High Sierra)
->https://www.parallels.com/
2. Download the Windows installer with from the Windows-website.
-> https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10ISO
3. Open "Parralels Desktop". It will ask you to install a OS.
4. Choose "install Windows oder another OS from DVD or Image file"
5. "Parralels Desktop" should display your OS-installers. If Windows isn't there then click on select and choose your .iso image.
6. Then click on continue and Windows will ask you wich OS settings you need.
7. If you have that finished Windows will install. This will take a few minutes. (this works faster if you have a SSD-disk)
8. You are done. Have Fun with Windows on Mac and working osu!.
If you have a low framerate in osu! then choose another skin that works fine. :)
For tablet users: Your VM detect your tablet as a mouse so it does weird things.
Simply move you mouse up to your menu bar and choose devices. And choose your tablet. (For me it was "Tablet Monitor")
If you want you can try the new osu!latzer (scroll down and choose "install.exe")
-> https://github.com/ppy/osu/releases

I hope I could help you. ;)
If you have any questions then reply on this tweet.

what menu bar?
show more