forum

Support for ranking/disqual individual diffs of a beatmapset

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
abraker
Consider that a mapset is perfect but one difficulty, which it just got disqualified for. Drama erupts as the mapper argues that the difficulty is just fine, but at the end, it is sent back to pending for more work. After working on all the difficulties in the beatmapset, the whole set gets rejected because of one difficulty. The devastated mapper spent enough time working on the set, is fed up, and within a month the perfect beatmapset with one bad difficulty gets sent to the graveyard, forever.

The mapper has only three options:
  • 1) Work on the difficulty, call bn to re-qualify entire beatmapset, hope it's good this time
    2) Drop the difficulty. Odds of it becoming ranked are practically 0
    3) Drop the entire beatmapset to the graveyard
Some would ask what is the difference between having that one diff ranked later vs the beatmapset ranked later, because essentially, the same amount of work needs to be done to achieve both at that point. And yes, you are right, however it is rewarding to see a pay off and it helps you stay motivated to finish that one difficulty that gives you trouble. Additionally, a mapper may not be sure whether they would want to rank the difficulty in the future, but may want to keep it around just in case they decide to. The current system will guarantee the diff will not be ranked at a later time unless it's a marathon length or the mapper does twice the work and makes a new beatmapset for it.

I suggest the following: Allow ranking by individual difficulties in the beatmapset. Each difficulty still needs to go through qualified and beatmapsets still need to be initially ranked with the required diffs, but there would be an option to disqualify individual difficulties. Some difficulties in the beatmapset will become ranked earlier or later than others. This will allow the disqualified diff(s) to be ranked when the mapper is ready for them to.
_Meep_
I guess this is fine, but qualification takes about 7 days, roughly.
If a big error is spotted on the 7th day and the guy wants to dq it
Will he be dqing the whole set? or only the problematic difficulty?
Endaris
This does not really make much sense because ranking criteria is a lot about forcing people to provide a spread.
Imagine someone gets one diff of the spread DQd and leaves it there. Boom, explodes. And there can be many different reasons as for why a mapper could disappear.
Topic Starter
abraker

_Meep_ wrote:

Will he be dqing the whole set? or only the problematic difficulty?
Dqing the entire set would be needed only if the set does not meat ranking criteria if that one diff is dq'd

Endaris wrote:

Imagine someone gets one diff of the spread DQd and leaves it there. Boom, explodes. And there can be many different reasons as for why a mapper could disappear.
But that is none problem and I even addressed a point that this feature would also be good for mappers that are not sure if they will want to spend time on the extra diff in the future. The current backend supports a set amount of diffs ranked with a diff or idk how many unraked. We have TAG4 diffs which were part of a ranked set, now in loved, so the current system supports a mixed bag with nothing blowing up.
Luvdic
Basically this: t/456734

/me runs

I insist, the way the mapping community is evolving, is more towards individual difficulties rather than whole mapsets.
Topic Starter
abraker

Xanandra wrote:

Basically this: t/456734

/me runs

I insist, the way the mapping community is evolving, is more towards individual difficulties rather than whole mapsets.
I forgot that existed and the part I took in that request. Yes, I am a supporter of putting beatmap sets into the trashcan for individual diffs, but unfortunately there are problems that need to be solved before that can become a reality. What I realized is that such an idea is taking a very big leap, one which the mapping community and the established 10 year culture revolving around the ranking criteria may not be ready for. Hopefully this request is a small enough step to move a bit forward into that direction.
Edgar_Figaro
I think this would be especially nice for guest difficulties in different modes. For instance let's say you make a OsuMania beat mapset and get it ranked. Then your freind comes along with a Taiko Guest difficulty they'd like to add to it and you would like that too.

Currently the only way that can be done is:
A. DQ entire set and then add the Taiko diff and resubmit it
B. Person who made GD has to make entire difficulty spread and rank on their own

Would be nice if in addition to being able to rank a problem map later if you could also continue making difficulties in the future and add them on to your own already ranked set (or a GD added with direct consent of the maker of the set)
Topic Starter
abraker

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

tl;dr: possibly infinite diffs as mapset gets older
Perhaps it's worth setting a limit on number of diffs a mapset can have or a size limit on the *.osz for ranking. Just imagine a song coming with 50 diffs totaling to some 300mb.
Endaris
You know what, this is simply thinking too small for the problems associated with it.
If you wanted to improve the situation you should suggest something like p/4548039 that does not have any immediate problems following (e.g. unrankable Hard-diff in an abandoned spread while the rest is ranked)
Topic Starter
abraker

Endaris wrote:

You know what, this is simply thinking too small for the problems associated with it.
If you wanted to improve the situation you should suggest something like p/4548039 that does not have any immediate problems following (e.g. unrankable Hard-diff in an abandoned spread while the rest is ranked)
That will still keep the system as inflexible as it is. This request is not centered about the wait time due to dq. The wait time for the diff or mapset to be requalified is still the same. This is centered around the flexibility in being able to provide the more intricate diffs at some future point instead of scrapping it. This request is most beneficial towards the development of hard diffs, where it makes sense to rank the usual Easy, Normal, Hard, Extreme diffs, and then spend time working and perfecting the hardest diff of the set to be ranked at a later time.

You will never, ever, ever see intricate lvl200+ o2jam type charts in osu!mania due to the sheer time it takes to develop such maps. The ranking criteria doesn't allow just that one map to be ranked if it's not marathon length, so you need to create multiple diffs, up 6-8 for such hard maps to fill in the difficulty gap. So at those point, it would be beneficial to rank that first 3 diffs required for the mapset to be encouraged to continue ranking further diffs as time goes on, instead of bashing your head against the keyboard as you are accepting, rejecting, and arguing mods with nothing ranked throughout the entire time.

Also that freeze thing has been denied by peppy
Endaris
:thonk:
Read here: p/6072863
Topic Starter
abraker

Endaris wrote:

:thonk:
Read here: p/6072863
I'll requote monstrata for context:

Monstrata wrote:

Sure, adding guess difficlulties after a set is already ranked can get rid of the necessity of making a whole spread to rank a new set (for the same song). But there are so many issues with this. What if the original host doesn't want your crappy GD? What if you think the current ranked set is bad and don't want to be associated with that set? As well, what is the nomination process that goes into it? Do such GD's still go through the qualified section? Also people who downloaded the set previously will have to redownload to get new difficulties that have been added, and is there a system that tells people a new difficulty has been added? This is not a feasible option imo. Let's focus on what we can actually discuss and control in the RC.
GDs are a special case with this request. Unlike mapper's own difficulties, GDs are more volatile. It should be the mapset host's decision what to do with existing unraked GDs if part of the set is ranked much like it is now when the mapset is unranked. As for new GDs, after the mapset is ranked, I think that would result in GD mappers to swarm existing ranked mapsets, asking to add their diffs to the set. I suggest to disallow adding GDs to a ranked set until a time comes when we can talk about it and how to resolve the problems that come with it. So only allow the host of the original mapset add his/her own diffs to start with, and then go from there.

Monstrata has a very good point relating to how players should be notified whether there are new difficulties added or old ones updated. osu!direct should have features that allows you to filter by downloaded mapsets that have updates and have an option to check and display updates available updates mapsets in song select. That is hopefully going to be included in osu!direct with lazer.