forum

[invalid] Mature Content Warnings

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +17
Topic Starter
Nitrous
This is a duplicate but denied in t/84769?hilit=adult+content and this is the only request found by searching
We all know osu! is a game for all ages, but R18 content in beatmaps isn't avoidable as there are suggestive songs that say so. Ranking Criteria made precautions with this warning:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Songs/Maps with mature lyrics/themes must be marked with a label such as 18+ in the map's thread. This game is for all ages, and so a warning is needed for younger audiences. There is currently no way to distinguish this outside of the map's thread, but this may change in the future.
Adding warnings to the forum threads to avoid young players such as myself to avoid downloading it does help but usually it isn't the case. In osu!direct, there is an audio preview yet no forum thread to see if that beatmap contains mature content which bypasses what RC is trying to do and also some just flat-out ignore said warnings (that's the player's fault). I've had my fair share of experiences during my early days in osu! which were quite unpleasant.

What I'd suggest is two things:

#1 An r18 filter in the beatmap search both in client and in web. Self explanatory.

#2 Beatmaps with suggestive lyrics should have an r18 metadata tag for filtering. For ranking criteria.

#3 An r18 warning in game. This is what the duplicate and denied thread requested. Showing a red background similar to an epilepsy warning or a display similar to loved/qualified beatmaps. This should only show up to beatmaps with the r18 set in the metadata tags.

Call me a bragging parent even though I'm not even an adult yet but I'm just concerned with the younger audience here since I am one of them as well.
Scarlet Evans
I agree! It's a good idea to have mature content warning and I support it, but I think that we should go step further. This is because there are many maps, where even the background is nsfw (maybe not explicit, but with questionable content, like partial nudity or full nudity, with intimate parts covered (by hair, objects etc.)).

So, the warning is not enough, as you can often encounter nsfw content even before playing the song. We need an option in settings to turn it ON/OFF.

- - - - - - - - -
First, I think that we could say about different kinds of nfsw content being present:
  1. Background (BG)
  2. Storyboard (SB)
  3. Video
  1. Song
I suppose that the first three are what is usually nsfw and they could be eventually grouped into one tag. Song rarely is nsfw, but it could have had its own tag/variable too.

First two, as there are maps, which include copies of background in storyboard, for different visual effects, like bluring, moving etc., or can have nsfw combobursts or other elements.
Third one, as there can be maps with questionable video (or both BG and video), like NEEDLESS GIRLS+ - Aggressive zone (TV Size). (Kuchinashi ♥)

Often all three of these can occur at the same time.

- - - - - - - - -

So, as you don't really play without song, I think that there could be an option in setting, to turn off nsfw content of the first 3 kinds.
(We could distinguish different options for BG/SB/vieo, but I think it would be overkill. Instead, people could just turn turn on/off nsfw video or SB manually (in visual settings), while having them turned off by default).

Turning this option ON would mean, that maps marked as nsfw would have their backgrounds disabled (and replaced by default/seasonal/own one), as well as their SBs and videos would be by default disabled (one could still manually enable it in Visual Settings at the beginning of the song).

- - - - - - - - -

But again, there are also maps with proper background, but nsfw content later on (storyboard/video), or even with nsfw song (we know that there are at least few examples, so I don't seek for them now). This is why, aside of option to turn off mature content, we still need a warning about it. Of course, such warning could be disabled in options too, as people could not want such an addition (which maybe could be prolonging the start of song) to be forced upon them.

- - - - - - - - -

At last, aside of Turning ON/OFF mature content and enabling/disabling Mature Content Warning, we should have third option: to disable songs with nsfw content at all. This way, mapsets with some very sexual lyrics (there are ranked maps like this too) or profanity could be hidden in client, just like you can hide maps out of certain stars bracket: https://puu.sh/xM60d/0175ece0e1.jpg
Topic Starter
Nitrous

Scarlet Evans wrote:

-snip-
NSFW beatmap backgrounds and storyboard assets in general are not allowed by Ranking Criteria so that's why I only accounted the songs which are completely unavoidable. As for the idea for the setting ingame, it can work. The "nsfw" or "r18" tag should be used in general since splitting it up can cause unnecessary convolution, I'd prefer if we make it only as one.
Tanomoshii Nekojou
I agree on this one.... please take my star ;3
demoncat96
i dont agree however you should be able to change the backround
Topic Starter
Nitrous

demoncat96 wrote:

i dont agree however you should be able to change the backround
Again. NSFW stuff such as background images and storyboard assets are NOT rankable. What I'm focussing here are the songs.
Pachiru
I totally support that idea, there is some songs that got some mature content, without being abusive, but anyway, it can be harmful to some young audience, and even if in the forum, there is an alert, on osu!direct, we got no informations about if there is NSFW content or not.
I think that would be more important to songs that contains insults, or offensive stuffs, cause usually, NSFW backgrounds are unrankable, so it wouldn't be a problem.

Nice idea anyway.
Tanomoshii Nekojou
Just a suggestion, Since osu!direct already have an option to avoid videos for downloads, I think mature contents should also be added as an option.. :3

Also, some players think some ranked beatmaps are still using mature content for BG or videos... Same as for the seasonal backgrounds... For example from t/651294

BoyInFlames wrote:

Problem Details: my problem is that the background screen like when you start osu! have +18 content, like more boobs than usual. My point is that this game is for every age, and the background screen is not for kids
thanks for reading this and hope someone answer me

osu! version: 20170731.2 (latest)
I also suggest somehow adding a toggle to disable any +18 content...

peppy might come to my house with a baseball bat tho... :o
WingSilent
^ That.
Saltssaumure

Lumy wrote:

^ That.
From the forum guidelines:

Do not bump threads with meaningless replies
You should reply with a constructive content for a better contribution to a request.
This is better than seeing these old threads getting bumped to the first page with meaningless responses such as "I support this!" or "bump!"
Nathanael

Loctav wrote:

Just dont use mature content. They are not fitting this game. Even this stuff mentioned to be in a 'gray zone'