forum

How Far Could The Distance Between Jumps Really Go?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Manfred
This though occurred to me while trying relax on some 7* maps that I have no hope of ever passing. I originally thought this post would belong in off-topic but there is some genuine discussion to it too.

If you took the jumps from every single ranked beatmap above 5.5* and stacked them on top of each length wise, like putting 2 pens on top of each other, how far could they go? With how fucking stupid these jumps get I believe they could probably reach the moon.

I was just recently playing https://osu.ppy.sh/s/516494 [Lasse's Lunatic] I felt I was honestly doing pretty well with my accuracy and combo for a map with OD9. But the difficulty spikes are just absurd. I really dislike the entire map because of 3 6 second long seconds of ridiculous jumps. Does this ever end, do you ever just learn to deal with these spikes and accept them as something commonplace? The transition to try and play these higher * maps is a real struggle when the map is easygoing and then suddenly bursts out these spikes in difficulty. I can honestly deal with streams fairly well (as long as they aren't spaced) but jumps are out of the question.

I'm sure my problem is a mix of a few reasons, but one that I've messed with but always gone back to is the resolution I play my game at, which is 1920x1080 on a 24" monitor. Is that a reason why these jumps feel like they're lightyears apart when the mapper decides to punish the player with these spikes in difficulty? I feel one of the major reasons I can't FC anything is the nearly exponential increase in jump size nearing the end of the map. Doesn't matter if the music fits with it, the difficulty curve nearly always comes along at the 80% mark and makes me lose any accuracy or combo I had going.

Nani the fuck should I do? Decrease my resolution? Switch to mouse? Suicide?

Thanks, and sorry I'm a whiny bitch this just really has me triggered right now.

N0thingSpecial
I mean you're not supposed to be able to consistently do cross screen jumps at your rank, it's just something you need to be contious about when when it occurs, back and forth cross screen jumps is the easiest to gain muscle memory for in terms of big jumps so you can start there I guess
autoteleology

Manfred wrote:

Switch to mouse?

What makes you think mouse is any easier than tablet?

To answer your actual question, there is a safe area on the screen and circles can't go outside this box.
N0thingSpecial
Oi fuk boi mouse is good fite me irl

Unless you're azer, mouse cursor movement is 99% sexier
7ambda

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Draggers? 🤔
Topic Starter
Manfred

Philosofikal wrote:

What makes you think mouse is any easier than tablet?

To answer your actual question, there is a safe area on the screen and circles can't go outside this box.
I'm not saying mouse is easier then tablet but since everyone is different, using a mouse over time could maybe be better off for aim. I've personally had shit handwriting for my entire life, and I never really find a truly comfortable position to hold my pen.

The title question was kind of rhetorical. I swear that mappers gradually turn up the snap distance until they near the end of the map when they start going up by .3 every 5 seconds until the song ends. I would love to see the cliff that [Crescendo] has.

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Maybe I can become like Doomsday and do image material with mouse only.
eyjafjallaaaaaa
The spikes are supposedly there to reflect the increased intensity of the music. Every song is bound to have that one intense part so you will see them in one form or another. In addition to that, some mappers loves stretching the jump even further as it bumps up the star ratings and hence the PP. So you will see them a lot.

If you don't like lowering the resolution you can try sitting further from the screen or decrease your tablet area. Generally bigger area is better because you can aim more precisely but there's really no point in being precise if you can't reach the note in the first place. But there's only so much these tinkering can do. If you really lack the skills to aim these jumps you just can't really do much.

From what I've seen longer maps and some older maps tends to have a much more forgiving difficulty spikes. But maybe that's just me. The map you played is kinda special tho.
Fxjlk
Cross screen jumps are easy

at low bpm and CS

Manfred wrote:

I've personally had shit handwriting for my entire life, and I never really find a truly comfortable position to hold my pen.
Yeah same. This is why I play mouse. I wonder if this is the same for most other mouse players *thinking*

Manfred wrote:

the resolution I play my game at, which is 1920x1080 on a 24" monitor. Is that a reason why these jumps feel like they're lightyears apart when the mapper decides to punish the player with these spikes in difficulty?
No just no. If the resolution is larger and mouse dpi remains the same you need to move the mouse more to move the cursor the same distance however the advantage is you have more control. No resolution gives an advantage, if you need more speed increase dpi, if you need more control decrease it. For tablet decrease tablet area for more speed and less control.

The only thing that resolution does change is the amount of eye movement and only in windowed mode.
Topic Starter
Manfred

redcrosssix wrote:

The spikes are supposedly there to reflect the increased intensity of the music. Every song is bound to have that one intense part so you will see them in one form or another. In addition to that, some mappers loves stretching the jump even further as it bumps up the star ratings and hence the PP. So you will see them a lot.

If you don't like lowering the resolution you can try sitting further from the screen or decrease your tablet area. Generally bigger area is better because you can aim more precisely but there's really no point in being precise if you can't reach the note in the first place. But there's only so much these tinkering can do. If you really lack the skills to aim these jumps you just can't really do much.

From what I've seen longer maps and some older maps tends to have a much more forgiving difficulty spikes. But maybe that's just me. The map you played is kinda special tho.

I do notice that some of my highest combos are on maps that are older, like 2014 or so. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/129317?m=0 my 950/980 combo choke is one of my best scores, because the map doesn't have ridiculous spikes and is more consistent throughout.

930 combo is nothing to most people, but that shit just does not happen when I play, but yesterday I managed that on https://osu.ppy.sh/s/48284, another old map. I try to fish for those types because they're ones I can see myself fcing, modern maps are a different story.

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

No resolution gives an advantage, if you need more speed increase dpi, if you need more control decrease it. For tablet decrease tablet area for more speed and less control.

The only thing that resolution does change is the amount of eye movement and only in windowed mode.
In the process of having to shift my eyes to a circle that's cross screen I feel I probably lose some focus and rhythm which is too important for cross screen horse shit. I won't change my resolution, but it also doesn't change the fact that I despise this style of mapping that is now the norm.

As for tablet area, I'm trying to find a balance of control and minimum movement. I don't know how people can play on areas the size of postage stamps, or use full area I just try and use somewhere in between.

and my mouse speed is set to the 2nd lowest speed, with 1 sensitivity in the osu client.

Peeper points always get me pissy because I want them and can't have them.
Nao Tomori
cute dog

random diffspikes have become more and more common place as a way to make 'extra' difficulty by star rating rather than actual mapping. if you play older maps (pre-2015, basically, that's when it started to become prevalent) you'll see that that kind of difficulty spike with giant fullscreen jumps is much less common.
Kondou-Shinichi
really cute dog tbh

you can't really do anything about large spacing jumps, they're just getting more and more common
Bikko EX
I don't see what's the problem with high DS jumps. If you can't play them, then you're just not high ranked enough.

This is under the assumption that the mapper has logic behind the notes' placement.
abraker
misleading title 4/10: could not science and formula into this thread
Topic Starter
Manfred

Bikko EX wrote:

I don't see what's the problem with high DS jumps. If you can't play them, then you're just not high ranked enough.

This is under the assumption that the mapper has logic behind the notes' placement.
The problem is these just start to feel illogical after a certain point. It doesn't reflect anything but the mappers desire to have a harder map. Maps with true reading complexity and difficulty outside of jumps are maps that I can respect.

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/319890 is on one side

Which do you choose?

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/542081 is on the other

Really ironic that I make a post contrasting red and blue when I am on an episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood that does the same thing. Eastern vs Western alchemy, Complexity vs Simplicity. 10/10 show BTW
zeplic
As a new player, i found an appreciation of difficulty spikes (even when used in a rather tacky way) because if, for example, I was only comfortable playing in the 4* range and a map that i enjoyed spiked up to somewhere in the 5* area and forced me to -try- before shortly failing me or ending my FC dream... I view that as simply a way to be exposed to a higher difficulty without slamming my face into actual maps i am not able to play consistently, and instead just a taste of it every so often in an area im more comfortable with.

Eventually, I have even stopped noticing that there were "difficulty spikes" at all after clearing something.

Alternatively, (luckily i have a bit of a musical background) , instead of a difficulty spike, i began to understand that there was a tempo change, a time signature change, or even something as simple as the map following a drum beat the entire song and then switching over to a guitar that played an entirely different rhythm.

Some people recommend No fail, others do not. My take on that bit is simply: If you can READ the RHYTHM of whats happening, and UNDERSTAND the pattern.. you don't need no fail. If you fail on the mechanical level, practicing on no fail will more often than not just reinforce the idea that you lack the mechanical ability. Just.. move on to a different map. Come back tomorrow.

Always figure out -how- to move forward as a player instead of constantly tinkering with the game, your setup, and worst of all, blaming the mapper (not that it's always incorrect, but it's not gonna make you look too hot without a solid analysis of such a thing to back it up using mapper speak) .

Lastly, read this: https://puu.sh/unB20/caee7b883d.pdf

It's solid advice from a player who (honestly could have left out a few arrogant statements to say the same thing) , climbed quite high and simply wrote down his process to getting there to the best of his ability.

Feel free to PM me in game or something if you want to play together. I have a solid map collection (many provided by players i highly respect) , maybe we could find some good ones that could help us both improve moving forward. :D
Topic Starter
Manfred

zeplic wrote:

As a new player, i found an appreciation of difficulty spikes (even when used in a rather tacky way) because if, for example, I was only comfortable playing in the 4* range and a map that i enjoyed spiked up to somewhere in the 5* area and forced me to -try- before shortly failing me or ending my FC dream... I view that as simply a way to be exposed to a higher difficulty without slamming my face into actual maps i am not able to play consistently, and instead just a taste of it every so often in an area im more comfortable with.

Eventually, I have even stopped noticing that there were "difficulty spikes" at all after clearing something.

Alternatively, (luckily i have a bit of a musical background) , instead of a difficulty spike, i began to understand that there was a tempo change, a time signature change, or even something as simple as the map following a drum beat the entire song and then switching over to a guitar that played an entirely different rhythm.

Some people recommend No fail, others do not. My take on that bit is simply: If you can READ the RHYTHM of whats happening, and UNDERSTAND the pattern.. you don't need no fail. If you fail on the mechanical level, practicing on no fail will more often than not just reinforce the idea that you lack the mechanical ability. Just.. move on to a different map. Come back tomorrow.

Always figure out -how- to move forward as a player instead of constantly tinkering with the game, your setup, and worst of all, blaming the mapper (not that it's always incorrect, but it's not gonna make you look too hot without a solid analysis of such a thing to back it up using mapper speak) .
I don't want to blame any specific mapper, but there is a clear reason to me as to why I can't FC maps that are modern, and have a chance on ones that aren't so. I always try to push my limits of what I can pass, and prefer to not use nofail to get through anything, that doesn't show I have the skill or capability to pass something. If I can pass a 6.3* map without dying, then I take that as a reward instead of PP. I just have to keep going with that mindset, and analyse my wrongdoings and fix them.
Fxjlk

abraker wrote:

misleading title 4/10: could not science and formula into this thread
But isn't science and formula everywhere?

Science more

enjoy formula
Bikko EX

Manfred wrote:

Bikko EX wrote:

The problem is these just start to feel illogical after a certain point. It doesn't reflect anything but the mappers desire to have a harder map. Maps with true reading complexity and difficulty outside of jumps are maps that I can respect.

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/319890 is on one side

Which do you choose?

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/542081 is on the other

Really ironic that I make a post contrasting red and blue when I am on an episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood that does the same thing. Eastern vs Western alchemy, Complexity vs Simplicity. 10/10 show BTW

You are comparing a jump map with a stamina draining stream map. That's not a very productive comparison.
Let's take a map with a very apparent stream overmapping. Would you respect that just because you like maps that do not have jumps in them?

You just seem to hate jumps. GOOD jump maps do exist.