forum

adaptor - LAISSEZ:FAIRE

posted
Total Posts
show more
C00L
the title should be: LAISSEZ: FAIRE

with a space inbetween im pretty sure, it doesn't really indicate from the soundcloud meta that there should be no space
Battle
Pentori
oop

soundcloud uses full length colon which just becomes a colon, but idont think that matters anyway
Einja
shouldn't the diff names be fixed
Battle
since they were team sample text presumably all the diffs were a collaboration of the team
Monstrata
So if I make a team called Taki and Mitsuha I can make all my diffs "Taki and Mitsuha's _____"?
Battle
pls
C00L

Monstrata wrote:

So if I make a team called Taki and Mitsuha I can make all my diffs "Taki and Mitsuha's _____"?

Cmon monstrata, there is context behind those diffnames
ZekeyHache

Monstrata wrote:

Let me join 👀
Strategas
changed tags

we reached a compromise to add sample text in the description in order to keep the difficulty naming, which seems fine IMO
Weber
Just "Sample Text" isn't really appropriate since it isn't indicating the difficulties are a collab by themselves. In it's current state, this will serve only to confuse players.

Adding "Team" before "Sample Text" or replacing each diff with "Collab ______" would be much more appropriate.
Litharrale
The diff names prefixes are unnecessary, open up routes to abuse and only works to confuse players.

People upon seeing this aren't going to think "a team made this set",
they're going to think either "who is sample text the person" or like me they'll think "a GDer cant have more difficulties than the mapper himself".

This is a route open to abuse and stupid naming. Having BNs and QATs with a team name is going to make the average joe mapper think he can team up with his friends and make a silly and confusing team name like "ayy boy lmaooo" or "taiko is bakako" or "sample text" or "monstrata" or the list goes on. It sets a bad example and is a slippery slope.

There's 0 reason it can't be "Collab" instead like it always has been. I'm sure you don't need examples of multiple people creating a set and using the word "collab". Just because a competition was involved doesn't mean the rules should be broken.
Stefan
Like for every siivagunner video: someone explain me here the joke plz

EDIT:

Battle wrote:

since they were team sample text presumably all the diffs were a collaboration of the team
Oh well, then..

someone explain me here the joke plz or just change it back to normal non-cringy difficulty names
C00L

Stefan wrote:

someone explain me here the joke plz or just change it back to normal non-cringy difficulty names

Its not a joke, here t/610793 take a look at this thread.
This submission is the winner of this contest, therefore the reasoning behind those diffnames is the teams name

Also this shoudnt be much to confussion since the difficulties are still represented at the end of each diff name
Ascendance
why do we use the word "cringe" for everything lol

how are the difficulty names "cringe" in any way? They were part of a team for a contest, and they also stated the team members in the tags and the description. Since every diff is by "Sample Text" it implies that the difficulties are a collab between the mapper + the only 3 other mappers in the tags, no? This is basic common sense lol.
Litharrale

Ascendance wrote:

Since every diff is by "Sample Text" it implies that the difficulties are a collab between the mapper + the only 3 other mappers in the tags, no? This is basic common sense lol.
How does this make sense at all? Do you really think everyone reads the map description and the tags?
Battle
isn't it the player's fault at that point, if they don't bother trying to find out by reading anything

if anything like weber said having "team" in front would help make more sense, but I think you misunderstood him when you say description AND tags because you only need to read either one to know who's on the team

it's not really unreasonable to assume people don't read descriptions honestly, not everyone has osu!direct and just play the game without paying for the very small additional features
Izzywing
I agree with Battle, at worst changing it so the word Team is added is a decent option. I don't even really think it's a problem though, lol. It's not that hard to just look at the description to realize that Sample Text is referring to a team that won a contest.

There's no cringe here, there's no malicious intention by the host of the mapset, so why are you acting as if that's the case?

EDIT - Read the thread again and I will say the slippery slope argument from Litharrale does have some merit. I think since this was a contest winner it makes sense to use some common sense / leeway, but rules are rules I guess. I'll let someone with more power come to a conclusion on this one.
Natsu
i don't care about this too much, but if this happen one time, then :

Monstrata wrote:

this should be allowed too ^ lol
Stefan
C00L/Battle: Yeah I saw the thread and I also went through every post in this thread here but that is not needed because I see very well alone from the creator's words what's the origin meaning of "Sample Text". However, you guys assume anyone who doesn't heard of the contest and not reading the creator's words would understand why are the difficulty names labeled like that. It makes sense to label a difficulty if it's an exception, such as being a Collab. At this point it very well makes sense to label them as Sample Text's <difficulty>. For here we have just a stupid adjunct in the difficulty names while people would IF THEY BOTHER check the creator's words anyway - which describes perfectly the mapset - there where it belongs.

Ascendance: I am sorry, lemme call it egdy instead. Because it pretty much is edgy considering what's the origin of Sample Text (aside of the mapping team). Sense exist until the point when it looks silly and has weak arguments to justify the action. And common sense would start with asking if you have to explictly mention the mapper's/group's name in every difficulty if they are doing everything anyways.

Natsu: And that's the point when people overdone things and have too much "fun".
Syph
i mean it's quite obvious it's from a tournament since it's in the description?? people can see why the diff names are like that
Stefan
Because everyone reads the creator's words. It's the same to a joke: It isn't good if you have to explain it. So it is here to have a name which is to new people cryptic if you have no clue what in the world does "Sample Text" means in the name. However, this is barely what bothers me here.
C00L
The thing that matters is that diffciulties name correlate to its actual intended difficulty. What I mean by that us that even there is sample text in front of the [b]Insane[b] for example there is still that clear representation of what the difficulty is, that is like the most if not alll that matters to players. If they do however get confused on whats in front of that Insane diff and why for example, they can easily open the beatmap thread to investigate, all information that is neccessary is shown clearly in the description.
Pachiru
Maybe we just need to wait for mapper's opinion, no? Because they didn't answer already if I remember clearly. Maybe they will just revert the name back to normal, we don't know yet. :(
defiance
i think leaving the names as sample text is interesting, it kinda makes me wanna study who did which diffs/parts depending on the participants mapping style
Litharrale

osuskrub wrote:

i think leaving the names as sample text is interesting, it kinda makes me wanna study who did which diffs/parts depending on the participants mapping style
"Collab X" achieves the same effect
C00L
Collab X doesnt show any correlation to the contest. Also correct it does achieve the same effect, therefore theres no difference which one is used. Apart from the fact that "Sample Text X" relates to their team name and "Collab X" no as such.
Litharrale
No reason the contest cant be referenced in the description of the map rather than the difficulty names

Examples of this include: Every contest in the past including official osu! ones. No reason this contest is any more special and should warrant special treatment.
C00L
As far as I'm aware other contests didn't offer the same theme as this one did, the osu!International Mapping Contest was solely focused on team effort, hence why there were team names in the first place. You say there's no reason... yet that is one of the reason as to why the names are like that. Think of it it this way even if it was called "Collab X" or "Sample Text X" both would represent team effort, the one factor that makes "Sample Text X" stand out more from "Collab X" is that it has a theme begind it
Natsu

C00L wrote:

As far as I'm aware other contests didn't offer the same theme as this one did, the osu!International Mapping Contest was solely focused on team effort, hence why there were team names in the first place. You say there's no reason... yet that is one of the reason as to why the names are like that. Think of it it this way even if it was called "Collab X" or "Sample Text X" both would represent team effort, the one factor that makes "Sample Text X" stand out more from "Collab X" is that it has a theme begind it
the thing is if you allow someone to have names like this, then u need to allow everyone to use them

also this is basically the same as p/5513850 , just do the same thing as monstrata. Then again I don't really mind the names,
but I don't like when we make exceptions for a mapset and then disallow others from doing the same thing
Stefan

Natsu wrote:

also this is basically the same as p/5513850 , just do the same thing as monstrata. Then again I don't really mind the names,
but I don't like when we make exceptions for a mapset and then disallow others from doing the same thing
That were my thoughts too.
Maxus
I kinda see the diff naming as more of Guest difficulty here. But as a group instead of individual. GD also need the player to search who's the guest mapper if they want to know. In a sense, a group is also the same.

In monstrata's case, he was using someone's name that never map the diff in the first place as GD, but this map actually using group that all the member has contributed to the map in some extent, both are different.

For me I 'd love having the current diff naming, It kinda emphasize more on the map that just won contest that's been acknowledged from the osu staff (since the title given only can exist if the contest got approved).

Also not everyone can win anyway, I' would prefer winning map that other player will at least be remembered more and special on its way for winning instead of using plain collab / normal - extra all over again and blend with other rank map in general.
Litharrale
Is this really going to get ranked with no response from either the QAT or any of the mappers?
Okoratu
apologies for being so untimely on checking these things

the diffnames are misleading for everyone downloading via direct and that they're a reference to any sort of thing going on in the community isn't apparent - they don't really add much information that you couldn't have put elsewhere where people that care about it read it anyways

since you never bothered replying to the actual conversation on your mapthread please figure this out and get me back to requalified
apologies for wasting two weeks of everyone's time ffs
Enon
There were some happens mapset ranked included a diff which can't know who did make it is like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/360417 the highest diff.

My name is not existing on the diff name even though I made the diff. But that didn't become an issue because the mapset owner explained it the diff was made by me enough in the map description section.

As someone said it, I think it's players' fault if they got a problem with the diff name because they didn't try anything to know it.

Some mappers want to show a creative in various ways like unique diff name like in this case.

We need to respect them while it's not violating any rules.
Weber
Keeping "Sample Text" is fine imo, but there needs to be a clear indication of the whole TEAM thing in the actual difficulty names.
Topic Starter
hehe
sorry, seems like i was unsubscribed to the thread.

would be cool if i could just keep Sample Text but seems like it's always about assuming the worst. i don't think it's fair to assume how this will open up to abuse, i mean, that's what nominators are for, to keep things in check if they do get out of hand. i really just wanted to have a way to show how the whole set is a team effort, which Collab wouldn't actually get across in my opinion. in my eyes, the whole team thing it's pretty much abundantly clear as it is, anyone who's even the slightly confused would probably take a few seconds of his time to find out what 'Sample Text' is and would be greeted with a clear explanation in the description.

will adding 'Team Sample Text's xxx' suffice?

Litharrale wrote:

No reason the contest cant be referenced in the description of the map rather than the difficulty names

Examples of this include: Every contest in the past including official osu! ones. No reason this contest is any more special and should warrant special treatment.
honestly if i had the power to do something like this I would be more than happy to. right now it's kind of a compromise.

and also, this.
Okoratu
for me that would be sufficient but i also think it's rather stupid to do to begin with because Team Sample Text doesn't add any information to the difficulties, i don't know who made them or if all of them are collaborations or not would be great to label stuff in the game or something if there's certain parts being done by certain people.

and that info really isnt anywhere
C00L
Info on who is in the team is shown clearly in the description okorin

I also think adding team might be even better than the before one
Okoratu
what

it doesnt tell you shit about who mapped what on what diff?
show more