forum

I Don't Feel Like Myself When I Play Lately

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Manfred
Have you ever started up osu and just felt off? During play your just feeling like your fingers and hands aren't yours, or that those fingers and hands haven't played the game before at all? I'm having one of those days. I play daily but I sometimes feel like a new player. Should I just fuck off and play D3 until I feel normal again or what? I feel like I'm suffering an osu identity crisis and as my rank gradually drops, I feel like my skill retention does too.

Maybe I'm just so demotivated it feels that way to me? I tried https://osu.ppy.sh/s/605745 [Night Begins] today because I like Pegboard Nerds and it's a new ranked map. On my first try I ranked 1100/1200 and just thought, "wow do I really have more than 400 hours in this game and have I really been playing it for over a year?" Then I try maps where I've placed scores on 6 months ago and I can't even come close to them, so I wonder if I've gotten better at all.

I see that my play time over the last month has gone down, and maybe that's a reflection as to why I feel worse. But at the same time even with less time played the game has more than ever, made me feel like I haven't gone anywhere and don't know where I'm going to begin with.

Is this just a rut that I'm stuck in and I should press on and keep trying to get better. Or is it a sign I should quit? I don't want "You should quit if you're not having fun" responses. Those don't answer a question or give an opinion, I want to know if you've had this happen to you before. Of course I don't always have fun while playing, who enjoys every waking second of osu?

On a side note at least watching FMA: Brotherhood doesn't make me feel shitty.

Sincerely,
Meh :?
Faye

Manfred wrote:

Have you ever started up osu and just felt off? During play your just feeling like your fingers and hands aren't yours, or that those fingers and hands haven't played the game before at all? I'm having one of those days. I play daily but I sometimes feel like a new player. Should I just fuck off and play D3 until I feel normal again or what? I feel like I'm suffering an osu identity crisis and as my rank gradually drops, I feel like my skill retention does too.

Maybe I'm just so demotivated it feels that way to me? I tried https://osu.ppy.sh/s/605745 [Night Begins] today because I like Pegboard Nerds and it's a new ranked map. On my first try I ranked 1100/1200 and just thought, "wow do I really have more than 400 hours in this game and have I really been playing it for over a year?" Then I try maps where I've placed scores on 6 months ago and I can't even come close to them, so I wonder if I've gotten better at all.

I see that my play time over the last month has gone down, and maybe that's a reflection as to why I feel worse. But at the same time even with less time played the game has more than ever, made me feel like I haven't gone anywhere and don't know where I'm going to begin with.

Is this just a rut that I'm stuck in and I should press on and keep trying to get better. Or is it a sign I should quit? I don't want "You should quit if you're not having fun" responses. Those don't answer a question or give an opinion, I want to know if you've had this happen to you before. Of course I don't always have fun while playing, who enjoys every waking second of osu?

We all have good times and bad times my friend. I stop playing for like 3 days, and I end up feeling similarly
You will always feel the most comfortable after extended and repeated durations of gametime - just keep playing and you will feel 'more at home' so to speak.

Don't take this as a sign to quit, you're much better than you were when you began - and skills are easier to reobtain than they are to obtain initially.

Of course, at the end of the day - if you don't enjoy the game, don't play it. Osu is about having fun, regardless of how well you're doing - so take your lack of skill retention with a grain of salt.

TL;DR
Play more and longer time frames to get better
Don't feel bad about losing some skill
Have fun.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

On a side note at least watching FMA: Brotherhood doesn't make me feel shitty.

Sincerely,
Meh :?
Zedek117
It sounds like you been just burning yourself out on osu. Just take a break and play something else or do something else in general. If you don't feel like playing osu then don't play. You might think oh but I could be using this time to get better at osu but if you're not in the mood to play you're not putting your best effort in and contrary to the popular saying practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Similar to how you aren't gonna get much stronger from doing push ups with improper form, you're not gonna get the results you want if you're just forcing yourself to play as if time sunk in the game will guarantee skill.
Topic Starter
Manfred

Zedek117 wrote:

It sounds like you been just burning yourself out on osu. Just take a break and play something else or do something else in general. If you don't feel like playing osu then don't play. You might think oh but I could be using this time to get better at osu but if you're not in the mood to play you're not putting your best effort in and contrary to the popular saying practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Similar to how you aren't gonna get much stronger from doing push ups with improper form, you're not gonna get the results you want if you're just forcing yourself to play as if time sunk in the game will guarantee skill.

Faye wrote:

We all have good times and bad times my friend. I stop playing for like 3 days, and I end up feeling similarly
You will always feel the most comfortable after extended and repeated durations of gametime - just keep playing and you will feel 'more at home' so to speak.

Don't take this as a sign to quit, you're much better than you were when you began - and skills are easier to reobtain than they are to obtain initially.

Of course, at the end of the day - if you don't enjoy the game, don't play it. Osu is about having fun, regardless of how well you're doing - so take your lack of skill retention with a grain of salt.

TL;DR
Play more and longer time frames to get better
Don't feel bad about losing some skill
Have fun.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'll just try and not take the game as seriously and focus on small aspects of my play that will make me a better player as a whole.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Calm down. There are others who can't even use their hands for more than 20 seconds in a row and not crying for it.
When you discover some things the game change 1000% and it's like a restart. So keep trying new things until find usefull ones.
N0thingSpecial
Play more maps you don't have a score on
Topic Starter
Manfred

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Play more maps you don't have a score on
I'll try that more, but one problem I have is I just feel like I see the same 200 maps, but I have around 10k. So many of them are 1-3 stars which I don't bother with, and the rest are just Jpop TV sized anime openings. They just become so annoying after even a few.

Do you have any good unranked maps or lists? Anything that isn't 1:30 long is honestly fine.
KupcaH
It's normal to not be able to beat old score, for example I've got AR9+DT scores on some farmy maps that I have no idea how I've got them. Now I cannot even pass some of them. Just don't give up, I know it's really discouraging, but just play more and don't give up. :3 Hold on, stay strong

Also, you can always type length>95 to hide all tv sizes, but maybe you'll hide some good maps, tho.
NightNarumi
Top scores can be flukes like that one moment where you got a really good run and you have that 'this is a one in a lifetime play' feeling, so dont be demoralized if you cant get a better score on old scores.

Taking a break (a few days to a week) can sometimes help you to play better, not always though.
Sometimes I also have a bad day and am playing really bad for no given reason, I just play some lower star maps that I enjoy and dont try to play those difficult maps where I will play like shit anyways. But yea, it happens and will still happen in the future, just keep playing what you deem to be fun and enjoy the game. (I had this moment in feb - march, where I was in a slump and played like shit each day, you will be so happy when you finally get a good score after such a long time xd)
And when you have a good day, oh boi, pp rain incoming.
Kondou-Shinichi
Yeah I do remember like my stream speed has slowed down to 200bpm for a week. and then I played like 2 hours of 250bpm+ then i got even faster lol
Fxjlk
Sometimes you have to get worse before you get better.

Your subconscious mind is trying new things and it does this randomly.

This changes your muscle memory slightly which can be for the better or for the worse

The trick is to stay in a state of slight anxiety and relaxation and do that for as long as possible
chainpullz

KupcaH wrote:

It's normal to not be able to beat old score, for example I've got AR9+DT scores on some farmy maps that I have no idea how I've got them. Now I cannot even pass some of them. Just don't give up, I know it's really discouraging, but just play more and don't give up. :3 Hold on, stay strong

Also, you can always type length>95 to hide all tv sizes, but maybe you'll hide some good maps, tho.
Or just go through and delete 99% of your tv size maps you have downloaded and find new ways of enjoying life. :D
N0thingSpecial

chainpullz wrote:

Or just go through and delete 99% of your tv size maps you have downloaded and find new ways of enjoying life. :D
Or actually git gud and FC them in several tries and never play it ever again
Kondou-Shinichi

chainpullz wrote:

KupcaH wrote:

Some TV size are fun to play lol (7.27% of them)
7ambda

Kondou-Shinichi wrote:

Yeah I do remember like my stream speed has slowed down to 200bpm for a week. and then I played like 2 hours of 250bpm+ then i got even faster lol
This is one of the most relatable posts I've ever seen.
chainpullz

Kondou-Shinichi wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

Some TV size are fun to play lol (:cringe:% of them)
Kondou-Shinichi

chainpullz wrote:

every high bpm tv size r fun (240+)
Topic Starter
Manfred

N0thingSpecial wrote:

never play it ever
I prefer this when it comes to TV sized maps.