forum

Cherry MX red vs Gateron MX red

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LordYellowsnow
Hi guys! I used to play on my Steelseries 6gv2 keyboard with Cherry black switches for a long time. Two week ago I bought mini-keyboard with Gateron red switches because my fingers were always tired-as-fuck after playing on black switches (especially long or/and fast maps). I found gateron red switches MUCH more lighter then Cherry black although the difference in numbers is not so significant (65+-20g vs 45+-20g). But even after 2 weeks of playng on new keyboard I dont feel like playing became easier for me. Despite the lightness of new switches I fuck up in situations when I didnt fuck up before. It seems like I dont feel the moment of key's triggering during the pressing. Now I am thinking about ordering 2-3 Cherry red switches from AliExpress and mount them in my mini-KB. So I want to adress a question to people who player on both Cherry RED and Gateron RED switches: :?: is there a difference between them :?: Maybe Cheery are more comfortable to play than Gateron? I want to know it before I spend some money and efforts on montage. Waiting for your replies
Upskirt
You could just play more, you'll get used to it.

I doubt there's much difference, different tactile feedback, level of actuation and force required to actuate is all preference.
SlowLogicBoy
Only difference will be actuation point.

I played with MX Blues, CK Reds and now with Gateron Reds, the differences between CK and Gateron reds are actuation points, Gateron is higher.

To be honest, I played with those 3 switches for about the same amount of time, and I can say that even though Blues require more force, then the red ones transitioning to reds didn't change my performance at all, stamina drain is still the same.

Stamina is draining not from keys required force, but from you bottoming that key all the way, and the more force you put to that key, the more stamina you drain.

You will gain benefit from changing the key only when you release the key on actuation point not when you bottom it down, and with reds it's way more difficult to tell when actuation point was hit then with blues or browns, I noticed that when I stream with blues I bottom it down less frequently because I feel when it was hit, and with reds well there is no feeling it.
Aegyo
Gateron Reds are smoother from my personal experience
dung eater
You can use o-rings to make bottom out almost indistinguishable from the actuation point.
SlowLogicBoy

bla wrote:

You can use o-rings to make bottom out almost indistinguishable from the actuation point.
Well I use them, but hitting o-ring is the same as bottoming out isn't it ?

Aegyo wrote:

Gateron Reds are smoother from my personal experience
I agree