forum

Tips for finding a comfortable tablet grip/area?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jcal
Hello
Sorry this is kind of a dumb question really, but it's getting ridiculous so worth trying here.

I've been playing with a tablet for over a year now, and I'm not settling on a comfortable grip or area at all, and my grip is never consistent. I believe this is really forcing my aim to stay at the same level and/or get worse, and I just can't hit anything and always feel like I don't have anywhere near as much control as I'd like to have. I'm consistently changing my tablet area like once a month or so, and I've tried big, small, dragging, hovering, giving pen more grip, etc, and nothing has ever stood out as super comfortable. It's always just "ok". And whenever I do find on the odd occasion that a current grip and area is really good, I can never get the same grip again and so it's really only just for the one session.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to actually find and settle on a good area and/or pen grip? It's starting to get really annoying, especially since I think it's getting worse :(
dung eater
Stick with something. If bsd change. Repeat
Wishes
I find that consistency is the key. If you are changing tablet area too often it will just mess with your muscle memory. What I did is simply find the maximum area where I can comfortably reach all parts of the screen pretty fast and just stuck with it. It's not worth changing around or finding the "perfect" area, because it doesn't exist. As long as it works you can get good with it if you practice enough.

As for the pen grip, same thing. It doesn't have to be "perfect" because that's not really realistic nor helpful. What I found best is starting with your typical writing pen grip and modifying it slightly if needed so the pen doesn't slip out of your hand after doing a lot of jumps. That's all that you really need, not slipping and being able to reach all areas of the screen. After that it just comes to practice.

Any feeling of "this grip/area is better than the one I used before" after changing grip/area is likely just placebo due to you perceiving something different and getting your brain to focus more but quickly wears off. It's like changing mouse dpi in an fps game, ultimately it may not help as much as you think it would.

Basically, just get one grip/area/playstyle/whatever that works, and don't change! Not going to help you changing often in the long run.
dung eater
Higher sens gives speed at the cost of precision/stability. It's not a placebo. You get used to differend sensitiviyies pretty fast on mouse and can go back to previous ones more easily on mouse, i don't see why same wouldn't be true for tablet.
Wishes

bla wrote:

Higher sens gives speed at the cost of precision/stability. It's not a placebo. You get used to differend sensitiviyies pretty fast on mouse and can go back to previous ones more easily on mouse, i don't see why same wouldn't be true for tablet.
Doesn't matter if it's easy to go back or not, fact is changing any settings will mess with your muscle memory and waste practice time. The more often you change the worse it is. The thing that matters more is how used to the particular settings you are. There is no point finding "ideal" settings if it messes up muscle memory.

As for higher sens costing precision, this is true, that's why I said I picked the maximum area that I can comfortably reach all parts of the screen with. No point trying to analyze it any more difficultly than that. Just needs it to work and get used to it.