forum

Poll 42: What types of mapping contests would you like to see?

posted
Total Posts

What types of mapping contests would you like to see?

Monthly Beatmapping Contests
25.31%
Community Mapping Contests
15.62%
Collaboration Contests
18.44%
Single Difficulty Contests
37.97%
Other (please explain below)
2.66%
Total votes: 640
Topic Starter
Chaos
We're interested to know what sorts of mapping contests the community would like to see. We want to continue running the mapping contests we've had for a long time but are also open to the opportunity to introduce something new as well.

Both from a mapper's and player's perspective, we would like you to express your opinions and explain a little below if possible. Although this particular question is more aligned to mappers, we believe getting feedback from players is also valuable. After all, you'll all be the ones playing the maps after contests are over.

For reference:

Monthly Beatmapping Contest: Contestants map a full spread for a song. Previous contests have been judged by a selected panel.
Community Mapping Contest: Contestants map one or more difficulties for a song per submission. Previous contests have had each difficulty's entries are narrowed down by a panel, then voted upon by the community.
Collaboration Contest: Multiple contestants map a song as a group (single difficulty or spread).
Single Difficulty Contest: Contestants map a single difficulty for a song.
Ender Lain
Aspire Beatmapping Contest, maybe

for recent i've been seen like STD Aspire BC or Taiko Aspire BC and.....it was cool and insane with some elastic sliders and crazy patterns

hope that CTB will be the next
Topic Starter
Chaos
The CTB Aspire contest should be happening later this year (or early next year)
nibs
Noffy
I would like to see more community mapping contests, they provide the relative less stress of not having to map an entire set, while allowing those that aren't into mapping extras me to try participate as well.
Monstrata
Single difficulty contests are the easiest to judge, and attract the most entries.

Aspire contests are the best though. I think many people nowadays have a formula for creating a "good" map. One that regular judges will approve of, proper emphasis, interesting pattens, good aesthetic structure. Aspire is something different though, and especially since mapping is currently hitting an all time low in terms of creativity and diversity, I think Aspire contests are a good way to stimulate more creativity in mappers.
Arzenvald
more aspire yea
Nao Tomori
I feel like aspire contest at least for std should be put on hold till lazer is released fully, cuz a lot of them rely on breaking stuff in this editor which may not even work on new client.
I do think collab contests and single diff contests tend to produce the most interesting maps, like Newspaper or Pending Cup (both very successful chinese contests) but a lot of it relies on judging criteria. including stuff like "aesthetics" and "playability" in judging criteria really limits the kind of stuff that would be promoted in the contest. So the main thing in a contest that should be promoted compared to now is non-generic mapping and different judging criteria rather than a specific contest format.
7ambda
We haven't seen official collab contests yet. That would be interesting to see.
Topic Starter
Chaos

nibs wrote:

Video game themed mapping contests maybe? I know a bunch of games that have like 10 submitted maps and they're all unranked/graveyarded and not really good.

Any official contests will use Featured Artist tracks as we'd like to promote them and their music. Unofficial or community contests could definitely have a go at something thematic like this.

Monstrata wrote:

Single difficulty contests are the easiest to judge, and attract the most entries.

Aspire contests are the best though. I think many people nowadays have a formula for creating a "good" map. One that regular judges will approve of, proper emphasis, interesting pattens, good aesthetic structure. Aspire is something different though, and especially since mapping is currently hitting an all time low in terms of creativity and diversity, I think Aspire contests are a good way to stimulate more creativity in mappers.

Aspire contests for the future will probably be discussed after the catch and mania contests have been run. They've been a lot of work to get them going so far so we'll see where things go for Aspire after we've been through each mode.

Naotoshi wrote:

I feel like aspire contest at least for std should be put on hold till lazer is released fully, cuz a lot of them rely on breaking stuff in this editor which may not even work on new client.
I do think collab contests and single diff contests tend to produce the most interesting maps, like Newspaper or Pending Cup (both very successful chinese contests) but a lot of it relies on judging criteria. including stuff like "aesthetics" and "playability" in judging criteria really limits the kind of stuff that would be promoted in the contest. So the main thing in a contest that should be promoted compared to now is non-generic mapping and different judging criteria rather than a specific contest format.

I agree completely about the judging criteria thing. Judging criteria for each contest should encourage and reward excellent and creative mapping. I think this point should be addressed prior to each contest to determine what it's aimed towards achieving in the metrics being judged.
Rikuka

Monstrata wrote:

pp mapping contest plz
FaiVillager
As a mapper I have some words. In my opinion I do prefer Aspire contest even I am not good on that. About other contests, I did not even get obvious notification about them. It could be personal problem, but this might happen on someone else. I voted for monthly contests because there are a lots of good mappers who does have a huge amount of good maps. And monthly contests will give more choice on the music and time limit.
iaport
What if aspire happened every 6 months, or something along those lines? As a contender in the last aspire, people are literally loving this contest, no matter who they are!

Or, we could do something I like to call: "mapping duels". This is where mappers map competitively in rounds, like OWC. In each round, the 2 mappers work separately on a song. Then, a trusted BAT/QAT member decides which map is better done. This means taking playability, aesthetics, and user's mapping skill in general. The final 8 or 4 would be subject to voting from the community to determine an overall winner.

Please consider these, and what we, as a community, can dream up into reality!

Thanks,
-iaport
InjuredMuffin2
would be cool to have a monthly prize for best map of the month, could be special privileges that dont disrupt gameplay or give an advantage, free merch or even simply kudosu points. music, map design, how well the map design correlates to the BPM and genre of the music, etc.
Weigsu
Mapping contest for BMS maps where you play the melody. If you miss or don't play then the instruments won't make sound, there would be only background track.

Example of such map:https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/177187#osu/700653

This (kind of) map is incredibly satisfying to play.
Have been only able to find two such maps so far.

These maps are probably very hard to make so a contest would be a good motivation to make one. Specially if they don't even get ranked.

Edit

I assumed that one would be able to get classical/instrumental music that has all instruments recorded separately.
But if only featured artist are allowed having such mapping contest would be really hard.

On the other hand this could be great opportunity for featured artist to stand out from thousands of other maps.

They would need to provide some tracks with instruments separated out for the contest though.
Not sure if any artist would be willing to do this (or even if they can do that).
But some are producing exclusive songs for osu then maybe they would be willing to provide their song in that format also?

Sagashi Mono(BMS Edit) is third most favorited song in loved section, so players obviously love this kind of mapping.
I'm sure that BMS maps would bring more attention to featured artist than regular maps.
epic man 2
Mania mapping contests would be badass, I would sign up for it.
epic man 2
I would like a Mania 4K mapping competition, I've been mapping for almost a year and I wanna see what the world would think of my charting skills so why not?
Dialect
bruh imagine necroing a thread from 2 years ago
Criss1010
heipizhu
How about a touchscreen std mapping competion. Gonna be fun:)
Rigbyuis
collaboration contests seem fine OwO