forum

bo en - intro [CatchTheBeat]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bunnrei
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 12:34:54

Artist: bo en
Title: intro
Tags: pale machine maltine records
BPM: 42.11
Filesize: 2447kb
Play Time: 00:35
Difficulties Available:
  1. intro // cup (0.91 stars, 21 notes)
  2. outro // salad (1.36 stars, 21 notes)
Download: bo en - intro
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------

pale machine: https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/666243
my time: https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/563953
Hareimu
mod

[General]
  1. There is no storyboard on the map, but the diff intro has widescreen storyboard turned on, please turn it off
  2. IDK if pure grey for combocolours fits to the map's theme, but combocolour 3 is a bit too dark, please increase brightness to 80 at least.

[Cup]
  1. If I were you I'd mute all sliderends with greenlines (or at least lower the sliderends' volume to 10% or 5%) so that it better follows the "sounds" (there aren't any) of the music.
  2. 00:28:985 (3) - I'd rather have this slider to be almost completely vertical (a bit tilted to the left could work too) since the volume of the... violin-ish? sounds are really, really low here (you said you mapped to the pitch of the sounds in the music, but still this one seems out of place because of the aforementioned reason)
  3. 00:30:422 (4) - If you apply the previous change, move to x:192 to adjust distance, obviously :>

[Salad]
  1. Same as in cup about the sliderends, specially on this one since the sliderends can be muted with more justification as to why by just saying they're extended sliders.
  2. 00:09:300 (2) - Move to x:194 to better emphasize the pitch of the violin sounds with a tangible dash to the next slider.
  3. 00:16:812 (3) - I'd rather move this object to the right side of the screen tbh, too much time on the left side to me @.@
  4. 00:20:024 (1) - Move this one to x:467? Also ctrl+h 00:21:299 (2) - to better emphasize the acute violin sound here. (00:22:874 (3) - ctrl+h'ing this one too connects to the next slider almost flawlessly IMO)

There's not much else to point out in this mapset tbh, it's already rankable as it is, so go search for some stars to notch that SP up to +12 and go get some bns already :P

Good luck!
Topic Starter
Bunnrei

Hareimu wrote:

mod

[General]
  1. There is no storyboard on the map, but the diff intro has widescreen storyboard turned on, please turn it off woops
  2. IDK if pure grey for combocolours fits to the map's theme, but combocolour 3 is a bit too dark, please increase brightness to 80 at least.done

[Cup]
  1. If I were you I'd mute all sliderends with greenlines (or at least lower the sliderends' volume to 10% or 5%) so that it better follows the "sounds" (there aren't any) of the music. yea
  2. 00:28:985 (3) - I'd rather have this slider to be almost completely vertical (a bit tilted to the left could work too) since the volume of the... violin-ish? sounds are really, really low here (you said you mapped to the pitch of the sounds in the music, but still this one seems out of place because of the aforementioned reason) not exactly vertical but ye
  3. 00:30:422 (4) - If you apply the previous change, move to x:192 to adjust distance, obviously :> moved it somewhere

[Salad]
  1. Same as in cup about the sliderends, specially on this one since the sliderends can be muted with more justification as to why by just saying they're extended sliders.
  2. 00:09:300 (2) - Move to x:194 to better emphasize the pitch of the violin sounds with a tangible dash to the next slider. done
  3. 00:16:812 (3) - I'd rather move this object to the right side of the screen tbh, too much time on the left side to me @.@ yea
  4. 00:20:024 (1) - Move this one to x:467? Also ctrl+h 00:21:299 (2) - to better emphasize the acute violin sound here. (00:22:874 (3) - ctrl+h'ing this one too connects to the next slider almost flawlessly IMO) done

There's not much else to point out in this mapset tbh, it's already rankable as it is, so go search for some stars to notch that SP up to +12 and go get some bns already :P

Good luck!
applied everything yea xd
thanek!
celerih

my biggest problem with this map is because the slider ends are all on nothing, but that's because of the song I guess. And even then the slider heads are also not on well defined sounds so the entire thing just feels off. Especially stuff like 00:15:325 - 00:16:812 - 00:20:024 - 00:24:485 -

[
intro
]

1. Diff is fine I guess apart from things that are the song's fault

[
outro
]

1. 00:01:450 (1,2) - Dash distance here is super small and very awkward to hit. Definitly increasse it
  2. 00:09:300 (2,3) - same as above
  3. 00:10:850 (3,4) - once again
Ascendance
Just a quick thing, the two difficulty names don't inherently present a sort of "progression" the same way Cup -> Salad would. For this case, you'd almost certainly need to name the lower diff "Cup". Feel free to address the RC for more information about this or maybe collect some opinions that are contradictory to my statement.
MBomb

Ascendance wrote:

Just a quick thing, the two difficulty names don't inherently present a sort of "progression" the same way Cup -> Salad would. For this case, you'd almost certainly need to name the lower diff "Cup". Feel free to address the RC for more information about this or maybe collect some opinions that are contradictory to my statement.
personally i think it's fine but yeah might be up for discussion
Lumenite-

- Magic Bomb - wrote:

Ascendance wrote:

personally i think it's fine but yeah might be up for discussion
As far as I'm aware, difficulty names (with exception to the hardest) should clearly indicate their difficulty... in this case, at minimum, the easiest difficulty should indeed be "Cup."
celerih
From RC: "Mapsets may also use a complete set of custom difficulty names that clearly indicate their level of difficulty to the player."

I don't think anyone's going to be confused by the fact than an intro comes before an outro, the progression from one to the other seems clear enough to indicate their relation from one another in terms of difficulty.
Ascendance

celerih wrote:

From RC: "Mapsets may also use a complete set of custom difficulty names that clearly indicate their level of difficulty to the player."

I don't think anyone's going to be confused by the fact than an intro comes before an outro, the progression from one to the other seems clear enough to indicate their relation from one another in terms of difficulty.
Well maybe I worded it a bit wrong, but I think that even though there's progression in the sense that it's obvious intro comes before outro, they aren't exactly indicative of difficulty at all.
celerih

Ascendance wrote:

Well maybe I worded it a bit wrong, but I think that even though there's progression in the sense that it's obvious intro comes before outro, they aren't exactly indicative of difficulty at all.
That's true, the diff names are not related to difficulty at all. But I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing because it's still obvious with the diff name which is supposed to be the harder diff and which is the easier one. Since RC isn't clear there's no 1 correct answer on this tho

Edit: talked to ascendance, and I agree, should probably be put back to Cup Outro as the diff names

A solution could be to use cup intro and salad outro as the diff names
Topic Starter
Bunnrei
fixd names

will apply mods later
Topic Starter
Bunnrei

celerih wrote:

my biggest problem with this map is because the slider ends are all on nothing, but that's because of the song I guess. And even then the slider heads are also not on well defined sounds so the entire thing just feels off. Especially stuff like 00:15:325 - 00:16:812 - 00:20:024 - 00:24:485 - they're meant to represent the held notes rather than represent actual sounds

[
intro
]

1. Diff is fine I guess apart from things that are the song's fault

[
outro
]

1. 00:01:450 (1,2) - Dash distance here is super small and very awkward to hit. Definitly increasse it
  2. 00:09:300 (2,3) - same as above
  3. 00:10:850 (3,4) - once again
all done, thak!
MBomb
Caught my interest.

[General]

Slightly lower ARs would work fine here, even though they're out of guidelines, I feel for a song this short, they'd make sense. AR4.5 and AR5.5 work well.
Increasing HP to 5 would also be nice, just to make it so the leniency on passing isn't so high. It's possible to pass whilst missing more notes than you hit right now.

[Cup]

00:09:300 (2) - Distancing to this one could do with being slightly higher for the strength increasing here as well as the pitch. x:144 and making it horizontal to the right feels really nice to me personally.
00:16:812 (3) - The distance to this one feels a little big to me given there isn't any particular increase in strength or pitch here, and the distance from it feels a little small given the pitch increase. Maybe try a slider of this shape at x:112.
00:22:874 (3) - Distancing both to and from this feels a bit odd, distancing to it as it's a bit small compared to other distances to similar sounds, and from because the sounds are getting weaker, but distancing is getting stronger. Maybe try this shape at x:336.
00:30:422 (4) - Whilst I understand the volume is decreasing here, I still think this higher pitch note does deserve a bit more distance than what it currently has. Try x:96 instead.

[Salad]

00:09:300 (2) - Distancing to this is pretty strong right now, quite difficult without dashing, but it's not really strong enough to indicate a dash to me. Maybe try a shape like this, reduced to x:208.
00:12:300 (4) - Quite a difficult dash to hit right now, maybe move it a tiny bit to the right to make it more comfortable, something like x:40 feels fine.
00:15:325 (2) - Pitch is decreasing here, so distance decreasing makes sense too and is also more consistent with your distancing used in previous sections. Try x:312 on it.
00:18:374 (4) - Distancing to this is a bit strong in my opinion, but sound isn't strong enough to reflect a dash. As well as this, for consistency with previous sections, there should be a dash afterwards. Try a shape like this on x:176.
00:24:486 (4) - Pretty strong distancing for this considering it's a non-dash and not a partiuclarly strong note at all, x:272 feels nicer to me.
00:28:985 (3) - Maybe move it slightly more to the left, I understand not having a dash to this as the volume is decreasing but having a stronger movement still makes sense to me. x:16 would be fine.

Alright, done.
Topic Starter
Bunnrei

- Magic Bomb - wrote:

Caught my interest.

[General]

Slightly lower ARs would work fine here, even though they're out of guidelines, I feel for a song this short, they'd make sense. AR4.5 and AR5.5 work well.
Increasing HP to 5 would also be nice, just to make it so the leniency on passing isn't so high. It's possible to pass whilst missing more notes than you hit right now. did both

[Cup]

00:09:300 (2) - Distancing to this one could do with being slightly higher for the strength increasing here as well as the pitch. x:144 and making it horizontal to the right feels really nice to me personally. did x:152
00:16:812 (3) - The distance to this one feels a little big to me given there isn't any particular increase in strength or pitch here, and the distance from it feels a little small given the pitch increase. Maybe try a slider of this shape at x:112. did x:106 - followed shape
00:22:874 (3) - Distancing both to and from this feels a bit odd, distancing to it as it's a bit small compared to other distances to similar sounds, and from because the sounds are getting weaker, but distancing is getting stronger. Maybe try this shape at x:336. ye
00:30:422 (4) - Whilst I understand the volume is decreasing here, I still think this higher pitch note does deserve a bit more distance than what it currently has. Try x:96 instead. yea

[Salad]

00:09:300 (2) - Distancing to this is pretty strong right now, quite difficult without dashing, but it's not really strong enough to indicate a dash to me. Maybe try a shape like this, reduced to x:208. yis
00:12:300 (4) - Quite a difficult dash to hit right now, maybe move it a tiny bit to the right to make it more comfortable, something like x:40 feels fine. did x:50 to also increase distance to next note
00:15:325 (2) - Pitch is decreasing here, so distance decreasing makes sense too and is also more consistent with your distancing used in previous sections. Try x:312 on it. felt too big - did x:284 instaad
00:18:374 (4) - Distancing to this is a bit strong in my opinion, but sound isn't strong enough to reflect a dash. As well as this, for consistency with previous sections, there should be a dash afterwards. Try a shape like this on x:176. ye
00:24:486 (4) - Pretty strong distancing for this considering it's a non-dash and not a partiuclarly strong note at all, x:272 feels nicer to me. did x:269 tho that's like a difference of 3
00:28:985 (3) - Maybe move it slightly more to the left, I understand not having a dash to this as the volume is decreasing but having a stronger movement still makes sense to me. x:16 would be fine. ja

Alright, done.
arigathanks!
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.