forum

Luis Fonsi - Despacito ft. Daddy Yankee [CatchTheBeat|Taiko|

posted
Total Posts
show more
Starrodkirby86
[Updates]
  1. Revised ending to transition from one background to another.
  2. Lyrics and intro text more friendly for unconventional monitor sizes.
  3. Foggy circular particles revised to fix conflicting fade issues.
  4. Shortened filenames of common particles to save space.
  5. Changed the second set of square effects to another more exciting random seed.
https://puu.sh/xIXdn/a400c469f8.zip
banter
mrw playing nino's diff
Starrodkirby86
[Updates]
  1. Ending revised.
  2. Changed the cloudy particles effects to their final form. Conway's Game of Life!
  3. Slowed frequency of second waves.
  4. Minor fixes on the waves after their loop's completion.
https://puu.sh/xJqGW/df689c6cb0.zip
Sotarks
Hey the SB is really great !

But pls...

Wtf is this

?
Starrodkirby86
What's wrong with that, my man? :(

A few things in wanting to develop for the ending:
  1. With the SBs I make lately, I always want to draw more original content so it's a more unique experience. I did the same with Granat and Yoiyoi. With more artists being understandably sensitive about how their artwork is to be distributed, I think it's more important to take a step with trying to do more original things too. Hollow Wings' backgrounds and efforts are all original too, so I want to kind of push in that direction more.
  2. I wanted to reward the player with a kind of special treat when they reached the ending. They've seen the girl throughout the whole map, why not reach the end and have the gratitude of our Despacito chica here? To me, it helps tie the beginning intro and the end together.
  3. In addition, I want to give a sense of further awe reaching towards that end. So I built my last effects in the map demonstrating different effects in mind.
While unfortunate, I'm sure not everyone would like my drawing, especially contrasted to Chen's incredibly talented one. I do think that we should push for more original content overall, if only to make more captivating content and tap into new avenues of osu!. I also don't think my drawing is that garbage. :p
Sotarks
This drawing has absolutly nothing to do with the storyboard to start, it's like super random doesn't match to it at all.

And then the quality of the drawing is pretty questionnable, that's why it doesn't match. Because the quality of the rest is really good.
The proportions are wrong, the head is weirdly designed, there's like a some kind of ass on the top of her head.
The shoulders and espacially that arm makes actually no sense of actual proportions...
Your drawing technique is not bad, but the result is bad because that girl makes no sense.

But I mean it's not my map i don't really care.

You're also talking about the other maps, i saw that Yoiyoi one and it's literally the same, super quality storyboard with bad quality waifu drawings...

It's like writing a paper in highscool with perfect answer and slap your teacher with that paper.

I don't wanna sound rude here, but an artist should deal with critism. If it was me I wouldn't accept such a drawing on such a quality SB effects.
schoolboy
00:55:554 (1) - unneccessary nc? (extra)
Starrodkirby86
Hey, thanks for the more constructive feedback. I do agree that an artist should deal with criticism, but there is a difference between more hateful comments and constructive criticism. While ideally I want to improve my drawing for this storyboard, with my current time constraints and with the scrutiny the map may receive in popularity, it's a battle I'd rather not invest my time towards. I'll be sure to improve future drawings and their proportions so that you won't need to writhe in disgust when encountering them. :p

I would like to still disagree with you in that it has "absolutely nothing to do with the storyboard". It's a front-facing rendition of the girl in the background, for one, and I improved the transition to liken it back to the intro.

Well, this version update here is the death of the drawing.

https://puu.sh/xLCBB/d643a1eb10.zip
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Updated and ready for Bakery
riffy
Storyboard
  1. I am still kind of confused with the PlayStation Square triangle Circle Cross pin in the girl's hair. It makes no sense with the song/theme of the SB. Can't we just edit it out somehow?
  2. The follwoing files appear to be unused:
    1. SB\common\s.png
    2. SB\ending\canvas_bg.png
    3. SB\ending\san_juan.png
    4. SB\lyrics\_04d.png
General
  1. Some of the collab names are mash=ups, some not. Maybe make them consistent?
Realinada's Easy
  1. 01:03:478 (2,1) - since the timing changes and the whole thing gets a bit more complicated I'd unstack the pattern to help players and make it more readable.
  2. 01:59:433 (4,1) - this doesn't look very beginner friendly due to the way overlap/flow change look. Isn't there any way to avoid it?
Gero, ezek & MkGuh's Normal
  1. 01:24:039 (3) - I'd remove the circle to highlight the way instruments play. This circle follows some really weak sounds and doesn't really need to be here for a Normal.
Naotwi's Advanced
  1. 00:29:599 (7,1) - I'd space them a little further or stack to make things a bit more readable.
  2. 01:00:272 (3,4,1) - visibly inconsistent spacing may look a little strange here. I'd recommend to increase it so that everything is neat and consistent.
  3. 01:59:601 (2) - what is the slider snapped to? I think I'm missing something because I fail to understand the rhytm here.
Natsu & Euny's Hard
  1. 01:16:624 - I'm not entirely sure about leaving these beats unstressed. The vocals and drums are really strong here, after all.
    Note: same would apply for the similar pattern in the other kiai.
Insane
  1. 01:30:612 (2,3) - 02:55:556 (2,3) - since they have very similar sound I'd expect them to be mapped in a similar way. So, yeah, maybe add a slight 2-3 jump in the first pattern?
NiNo's Insane

SnowNiNo_ wrote:

dats why it doesnt gives a great express to the music, yea as u said the stronger sound should get larger spacing however i want to keep the structure more <...> or i would rather keep my structure(cuz its clean
I really don't think that is a valid point. Aesthetics and patterning come second after the actual feel of the gameplay. I would personally recommend reconsidering your clean patterning in favour of something better representing the song. As for the "suggest a better structure" part, I really don't think I can match your sense of style and come up with something better than you can. Additionally, changing even a single pattern will influence other patterns, making at least a few of (my possible) suggestions irrelevant, hence I'm leaving this entirely up to you.

I am not forcing you to change anything but I still believe that it has to be changed.

So yeah, that's that.
Natsu
Bakarito, but that rhythm fits better the vocals, also it's a cute rhythm for a hard diff, it make u feels the song despacito suavecito poquito a poquito, also mapping things as slider tail is fine at lower diffs.
Realazy
ZekeyHache

Bakari wrote:

Storyboard
  1. I am still kind of confused with the PlayStation Square triangle Circle Cross pin in the girl's hair. It makes no sense with the song/theme of the SB. Can't we just edit it out somehow?
r u serious? lol
Topic Starter
Monstrata

Bakari wrote:

Storyboard
  1. I am still kind of confused with the PlayStation Square triangle Circle Cross pin in the girl's hair. It makes no sense with the song/theme of the SB. Can't we just edit it out somehow? I really don't think this matters at all...
  2. The follwoing files appear to be unused:
    1. SB\common\s.png
    2. SB\ending\canvas_bg.png
    3. SB\ending\san_juan.png
    4. SB\lyrics\_04d.png
    Removed them.
General
  1. Some of the collab names are mash=ups, some not. Maybe make them consistent? Some people want to mash names, some don't.
    I think both are fine. Mashing up names for the Normal is going to be really confusing too.
Insane
  1. 01:30:612 (2,3) - 02:55:556 (2,3) - since they have very similar sound I'd expect them to be mapped in a similar way. So, yeah, maybe add a slight 2-3 jump in the first pattern? Nah, I want to do a different jump pattern. It's more interesting. Also players won't remember what the pattern was from a minute and 30 seconds ago so consistency concerns like that arne't really relevant imo...

So yeah, that's that.
Nao Tomori
hmm.
00:29:599 (7,1) - these are hardly on screen at the same time, maybe for less than 50 ms. i don't think that a player would snap to 1 instead of using the approach circle.

fixed other stuff.

http://puu.sh/xM7LO/b93377fb40.osu

edit: shouldnt you add "real" to tags too cuz he has a ranked map with that name
Mekki
Now storyboard is perfect <3

Topic Starter
Monstrata
@Nao

"Realazy" already covers it.
SnowNiNo_
Topic Starter
Monstrata
01:24:039 (3) - I'd remove the circle to highlight the way instruments play. This circle follows some really weak sounds and doesn't really need to be here for a Normal.

@Bakari - it doesn't follow "really weak sound" though... the vocal is really strong here ;o.
Mekki
this is in Gero's.
Swerro
Change the background
Change the diffname
They absolutely don't fit together

Please look at other existing maps with the diffname 'Gangsta' and the songchoice+background on them. (piranha/pensamento/worldwidechoppers)
They set a certain mood/atmosphere that correlates with the song.
It doesn't work with this anime background + happyfeelgood-mood song.

I'm sure you yourself can think of something that's more appropriate for this song.
Topic Starter
Monstrata
No thanks but thanks
Natsu
reggaeton is a kind of ¨gangsta¨ music in Latin America :P
-Sh1n1-
monstrata pls fix your unsnapped green lines on std diffs
03:43:084 - 03:45:275 -
Nino: 03:41:230 - 03:45:271 - 03:45:945 - 03:46:451
That should be all, call me back~~
Gero

Bakari wrote:

1. 01:24:039 (3) - I'd remove the circle to highlight the way instruments play. This circle follows some really weak sounds and doesn't really need to be here for a Normal. I'd rather to keep it, since the voice here is not that weak, so it should be fine in my opinion.
Thanks.
-Sh1n1-
Pasito a pasito, suave suavecito, le vamos bubleando poquito a poquito~

Swerro

Monstrata wrote:

No thanks but thanks
damn you really LOVE culture
first you ruin DIMENSIONS difficulties and now you ruin Gangsta.
edit: removed unecessary line
Topic Starter
Monstrata

Swerro wrote:

Monstrata wrote:

No thanks but thanks
damn you really LOVE culture
first you ruin DIMENSIONS difficulties and now you ruin Gangsta.
no wonder people tell you to kill yourself
Lumenite-
Overall, the improvisational techniques used in the Oni are such that A) It is hard to tell what is overall trying to be achieved, and throughout different parts of the song, emphasis is switched abruptly from vocal to background, then back to vocal and B) it is uncomfortable to play as what is being plotted doesn't have any real match to what's prominently going on imo.

A primary example of A starts at 02:08:197 - . 02:08:702 (134,135,136,137,138,139,140) - are all clearly following the rhythm, but in this same verse the focus immediately shifts on to the vocal starting at 02:10:219 (141,142,143,144,145) - creating incoherent phrases and patterns. To focus on the drums would look like this: https://puu.sh/xHOex/88a8cfdf79.png , and to focus on the vocal would look like this: https://puu.sh/xHOkb/78a77b5271.png . These schemes are completely different, and the way you merged them together fails to sound correct or play comfortably. Furthermore, you follow the vocal at 02:19:320 (178,179,180,181,182,183,184,185,186,187,188,189,190,191,192,193,194,195,196,197,198,199,200,201,202,203,204,205,206,207,208,209,210,211,212,213,214,215,216,217,218,219) - , which then creates inconsistency as the vocals present in both parts are the exact same.

More on point A, this particular song doesn't support the improvisation used in the 4th, 5th, or 6th kiais. 02:43:927 (84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93,94) - Parts like this, where the last 3 notes have little music support, and 84-91 are following vocals that are emphasized, not light, makes the use of improvisation inappropriate. 02:42:578 (73,74,75) - and 02:43:252 (78,79,80,81,82) - are appropriate because 73-75 emphasize "quiero" in that one beat of music, and 78-82 emphasize "desnudarte a besos" in that one beat of music. The music after those lyrics repeats "Despacito," but as this word is once again HEAVIER than the lyrics before it, there's no reason this 1 word should receive more density than the rest of the phrase. Similar comments can be made for patterns like 02:50:837 (140,141,142,143,144,145,146) - or 03:02:635 (80,81,82,83,84,85,86) - .

Point B is really a summary of everything that's already been written, these weird uses of improvisation makes the map REALLY awkward to play, as personally, and now I'm finding out other people feel the same way, there's a huge lack of flow, and once again, it's so hard to tell what is trying to be followed. The switches are so abrupt and so uncomfortable that quite honestly, it makes me not want to play the map all together, even for fun.

(edited to clarify points as I think some of what I wrote before confusing)
(editing again to remove some apparently condescending remarks)
AncuL
the lyric thing in storyboard also goes pretty buggy on 03:12:915 -
Ascendance
congrats on suddenly fixing ur version of osu that made it impossible to open editor, taikocracy
Lumenite-

Ascendance wrote:

congrats on suddenly fixing ur version of osu that made it impossible to open editor, taikocracy
thanks fam, worked hard on it and i finally got a result :weary: ok
Ascendance
bubble my maps uwu
Lumenite-

Ascendance wrote:

bubble my maps uwu
yeah i'll bubble your ctb maps kek
Dreamtwolf
anyone else notice that the anime girl has what appears to be playstation buttons or am I like a year behind and it has been mentioned already lol
riffy
I've mentioned it like multiple times wishing they could edit it out, no one really cared :c
ZekeyHache
Bakari²
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Yes. Girl has playstation hair clips. Good eyes! She also has blue hair!
OzzyOzrock

Taikocracy wrote:

-Sh1n1- wrote:

Added a note on Oni and fixed some general issues in Overdose, catch and taiko are ready to go!
Muzukashii may be ready to go, but I beg to differ that the Oni is anywhere near such a state-

Overall, the improvisational techniques used in the Oni are such that A) It is hard to tell what is overall trying to be achieved, and throughout different parts of the song, emphasis is switched abruptly from vocal to background, then back to vocal and B) it is uncomfortable to play as what is being plotted doesn't have any real match to what's prominently going on imo.

A primary example of A starts at 02:08:197 - . 02:08:702 (134,135,136,137,138,139,140) - are all clearly following the rhythm, but in this same verse the focus immediately shifts on to the vocal starting at 02:10:219 (141,142,143,144,145) - creating incoherent phrases and patterns. To focus on the drums would look like this: https://puu.sh/xHOex/88a8cfdf79.png , and to focus on the vocal would look like this: https://puu.sh/xHOkb/78a77b5271.png . These schemes are completely different, and the way you merged them together fails to sound correct or play comfortably. Furthermore, you follow the vocal at 02:19:320 (178,179,180,181,182,183,184,185,186,187,188,189,190,191,192,193,194,195,196,197,198,199,200,201,202,203,204,205,206,207,208,209,210,211,212,213,214,215,216,217,218,219) - , which then creates inconsistency as the vocals present in both parts are the exact same.

More on point A, this particular song doesn't support the improvisation used in the 4th, 5th, or 6th kiais. 02:43:927 (84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93,94) - Parts like this, where the last 3 notes have little music support, and 84-91 are following vocals that are emphasized, not light, makes the use of improvisation inappropriate. 02:42:578 (73,74,75) - and 02:43:252 (78,79,80,81,82) - are appropriate because 73-75 emphasize "quiero" in that one beat of music, and 78-82 emphasize "desnudarte a besos" in that one beat of music. The music after those lyrics repeats "Despacito," but as this word is once again HEAVIER than the lyrics before it, there's no reason this 1 word should receive more density than the rest of the phrase. Similar comments can be made for patterns like 02:50:837 (140,141,142,143,144,145,146) - or 03:02:635 (80,81,82,83,84,85,86) - .

Point B is really a summary of everything that's already been written, these weird uses of improvisation makes the map REALLY awkward to play, as personally, and now I'm finding out other people feel the same way, there's a huge lack of flow, and once again, it's so hard to tell what is trying to be followed. The switches are so abrupt and so uncomfortable that quite honestly, it makes me not want to play the map all together, even for fun.

Pienso que necesitan pensar despacito y con cuidado, por que ahora, este no esta listo para una burbuja.
so this might be a bit complicated for you so i'll say it despacito, but as it turns out? mapping this song to the same shit everywhere makes for a really boring map! weird huh?

changing what layers are mapped dynamically and getting creative with simpler ones makes for better accentuation of certain bits and generally makes the map more interesting. i cant agree with anything you've put down here.
ZekeyHache
*despacito puns intensify*
show more