forum

Flux Pavilion - Bass Cannon

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Canderos
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 6:59:36 PM

Artist: Flux Pavilion
Title: Bass Cannon
Tags: techno dubstep
BPM: 140
Filesize: 4546kb
Play Time: 02:44
Difficulties Available:
  1. Hard (2.85 stars, 216 notes)
  2. Normal (1.77 stars, 131 notes)
  3. Supersonic Assault (4.66 stars, 326 notes)
Download: Flux Pavilion - Bass Cannon
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
::::)
Gordon
From one of my many modding queues. Also take this mod with a grain of salt cause I'd like to help you improve.

GENERAL

I have a feeling like this is your first map and for a first start its okay. But you dont always have to use copy and paste on rhythms and patterns. You can keep up to 2 or maybe 4 of the same pattern but people expect change sometimes too. Sure other maps talk about repetition to get the point across for players to understand. But they usually dont need that much, unless you are a lower ranked player just starting out. Have the freedom to explore outside the boundaries of copy/paste. Take some risks. ;)

NORMAL

00:34:353 (1,2) - People generally playing normals don't necessarily have the concept of 1/2 sliders. Interesting to use this here while the first one you introduce of this a note into slider. Not a slider into slider
00:54:925 (1,3) - Make sure that your slider shapes are the same for cleanliness. Just copy paste (1) where (3) is and hit ctrl + h

HARD

Hard difficulties you can start to introduce more challenging rhythms. You don't always have to use spinners or sliders to put emphasis on a long sound. You can always skip it and go for vocals and or the kick and snare.

Not going to lie I like the beginning rhythm but it gets repetitive. Try mixing it up in different ways that still give off what you hear in the song.
00:40:353 (2) - Honestly should only repeat once into 2 notes instead.
01:50:210 (1) - No no no. Nothing should repeat this much. And this goes for all of these reverse sliders. Put it more interesting rhythms that fit the songs boundaries.
02:30:925 (1,2,3,4) - If you want to do something like this at least space it out more so players can read what comes next.
Also not you dont have to copy paste everything.

SSA

00:34:782 (1) - You need to do your kiai's differently. You will be shunned for doing something like this.
00:39:496 (1,1,2,1,2,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - Not going to lie. But this is like the only one highlight of the whole map to me. Or thus provides the challenge of the map.
Everything I want to talk about is already stated in the previous diffs. You can expand the sense of rhythms in the kiai. You dont have to have one thing going on for like 4 seconds at a time, except for easy and normal diffs, but some can handle more.

Good luck with your set.
Nyhfy
Good map, feel like there is too much repetition.
Topic Starter
Canderos

Xoul wrote:

From one of my many modding queues. Also take this mod with a grain of salt cause I'd like to help you improve.

GENERAL

I have a feeling like this is your first map and for a first start its okay. But you dont always have to use copy and paste on rhythms and patterns. You can keep up to 2 or maybe 4 of the same pattern but people expect change sometimes too. Sure other maps talk about repetition to get the point across for players to understand. But they usually dont need that much, unless you are a lower ranked player just starting out. Have the freedom to explore outside the boundaries of copy/paste. Take some risks. ;)

NORMAL

00:34:353 (1,2) - People generally playing normals don't necessarily have the concept of 1/2 sliders. Interesting to use this here while the first one you introduce of this a note into slider. Not a slider into slider Good point, and I'm a bit divided on this issue. I've had noob-ish friends and random players try out this diff, as I wanted to make sure it was playable for new players, and I had mixed results on whether they could combo the sliders or not, although more were able to hit them. For an absolute noob, I would say that the section is extremely difficult, if not impossible, but for someone with a handful of passes under their belt, their comprehension of sliders as a mechanic should allow them to combo them after seeing an example or so. During mapping, I tried to isolate the sliders for easier reading, leaving about a beat between the tail and the next notes. I also kept the curves fairly basic so they would be easier to follow. Because of these reasons, I think they work fine in a Normal.
00:54:925 (1,3) - Make sure that your slider shapes are the same for cleanliness. Just copy paste (1) where (3) is and hit ctrl + h It's already ctrl + h'd, just snapped to the first slider's head: https://imgur-archive.ppy.sh/SiscPjD.png

HARD

Hard difficulties you can start to introduce more challenging rhythms. You don't always have to use spinners or sliders to put emphasis on a long sound. You can always skip it and go for vocals and or the kick and snare.

Not going to lie I like the beginning rhythm but it gets repetitive. Try mixing it up in different ways that still give off what you hear in the song. Will mix the section up.
00:40:353 (2) - Honestly should only repeat once into 2 notes instead. Good idea.
01:50:210 (1) - No no no. Nothing should repeat this much. And this goes for all of these reverse sliders. Put it more interesting rhythms that fit the songs boundaries. True, I'll think of something so they aren't as long.
02:30:925 (1,2,3,4) - If you want to do something like this at least space it out more so players can read what comes next. Spaced.
Also not you dont have to copy paste everything.

SSA

00:34:782 (1) - You need to do your kiai's differently. You will be shunned for doing something like this. Eh, I mapped the kiais to the intensity of the song and I think they fit well.
00:39:496 (1,1,2,1,2,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - Not going to lie. But this is like the only one highlight of the whole map to me. Or thus provides the challenge of the map. Yeah, pretty sure this is where most of the difficulty comes from. Will buff the other areas around the kiais to make the map harder overall.
Everything I want to talk about is already stated in the previous diffs. You can expand the sense of rhythms in the kiai. You dont have to have one thing going on for like 4 seconds at a time, except for easy and normal diffs, but some can handle more.Discussed below

Good luck with your set.
The problem with expanding on rhythms in the kiais is that, in my opinion, the song at those points becomes extremely boring and allows for little room to do much interesting. During those sections, a screeching noise is played in the background, vocals are repeated over and over, and the intro beat can be heard faintly behind everything else. That's it. The entire section is extremely repetitive, so I decided to map the kiais on each difficulty with repetitive, difficulty-appropriate elements that prove to be somewhat challenging to a player. The normal uses long sliders, which may be difficult for a new player to follow, the hard uses spinners, which drains a player's stamina significantly throughout the map, and Supersonic Assault uses buzz sliders, which, while easy to hit and hold, are hard to snap out of while maintaining combo.

I chose these ways of filling the rhythm in order to maintain pressure throughout the map while providing a hard-yet-doable gimmick players could get used to over time. I also chose to make the map overly repetitive in general as well, but, as you mentioned, some sections don't quite hit the mark. While repetition is necessary in making a good map, even more so in this one to convey my ideas, I definitely went overboard on some difficulties and made them more boring than they deserve to be. The normal demonstrates what I wanted the set to consisit of the best: fairly easy and somewhat repetitive intros, very repetitive but challenging kiais, and easier, less confusing, but still somewhat repetitive rhythms in other sections. The hard, although I believe I do the kiais mostly well, is a bit too repetitive in the intro and outro. Supersonic Assault, while having probably the most intense kiai out of all 3 difficulties, has perhaps the most boring intro, ending, and post-kiai, pre-ending sections out of all the difficulties.

While there are some things I will not change (kiai gimmick and underlying mapping ideas), I understand some repetition might be too much and can cause the map to be weak at specific points. I appreciate your work in finding these problems and I will fix them to create a more fun and enjoyable experience. I will also try to fix up some problem sections that I may find while working on the difficulties.

All that being said, thanks for the mod!
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.