forum

GIRAFFES? GIRAFFES! - When The Catholic Girls G...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Doguu
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 3:16:40 AM

Artist: GIRAFFES? GIRAFFES!
Title: When The Catholic Girls Go Camping, The Nicotine Vampires Rule Supreme.
Tags: More Skin With Milk-Mouth Math Rock
BPM: 270.55
Filesize: 4673kb
Play Time: 03:45
Difficulties Available:
  1. Insane (4.92 stars, 1170 notes)
  2. Normal (unfinished) (1.5 stars, 103 notes)
Download: GIRAFFES? GIRAFFES! - When The Catholic Girls Go Camping, The Nicotine Vampires Rule Supreme.
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Not waiting for lazer
Timing's off ≈ 10ms sometimes but this is by all means playable

Normal - Unfinished
Insane - Finished (needs fixed)
Another - gone

Thanks for modding:
dsco
Coppertine (PM timing notice)
dsco
good job on timing. did you use ableton? :D

insane2
00:15:979 (7) - object end unsnapped
00:32:087 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3) - i think a rhythm like https://i.imgur.com/YZlUVhM.png represents the music better (and so on in this section)
00:45:348 (2,3,1) - stack these since this is still mapped to the guitar melody and not the drum fill?
00:45:779 (3) - i think it would be more climactic / expressive if this was 4 circles at a decent spacing
01:20:396 (1,2,3,4) - maybe use the overlap seen later in the section? : 01:23:850 (1,2,3,4) - 01:27:335 (1,2,3,4) -
01:31:227 (1) - remove NC
01:32:697 (1,2,3,4,5) - almost overlap looks ugly
02:03:321 (1,2,3,1,2) - i think you should change how you map this part, its extremely non-energetic especially after the first half of the map. there's drums in the background you can use to map filler rhythm while emphasizing the guitar with spacing and sliders.
02:22:216 (1,2) - i think the tail of one should be a clickable circle
02:25:264 (5) - separate into two sliders
02:27:131 (5) - the tail of this slider should definitely be clickable, very important sound there
02:27:880 (2,3,1,2,1) - technically unrankable pattern i think, but if not its at the very least extremely misleading. i think if you slight overlap the sliders instead of perfect overlap and expand them outwards from the center or something it would keep the same idea but work better
02:32:377 (1,1,1) - unnecessary NC
02:36:481 (3) - not a fan of multiple repeat 1/2 sliders, i think it'd make more sense if it was just (slight) stacked 1/2 sliders
02:46:957 (2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3) - i would make these into sliders, its nearly impossible to read that this is a 1/3 rhythm as is. if not sliders, then NC all of them. sliders would be better though since you use them for the second half of this part anyways
02:58:992 - for the stream section starting here, spacing should both start and end bigger i think. its very anticlimactic because of how easy it is to hit. also if you select the entire stream you should notice that it could definitely use more of the screen space

normal
my qualms with this difficulty are moreso general things than one-offs or specific things so i'll just give some pointers. for a lower level diff on a song like this you definitely want pretty consistent rhythms. you're implementing a bunch of variations which newer players wont be able to comprehend and will frustrate them. the structure itself visually is mostly fine though, and you're using constant spacing which is good. i would avoid stacking objects however, as in some places you stack 1/1 beat gaps and in other places you don't.
Topic Starter
Doguu

dsco wrote:

good job on timing. did you use ableton? :D > Nope. Timing took about a couple 3 hour sessions and more timing is added per beatmap.

insane2
00:15:979 (7) - object end unsnapped
> Fixed. <3

00:32:087 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3) - i think a rhythm like https://i.imgur.com/YZlUVhM.png represents the music better (and so on in this section)
> Some explanation is required with how. I don't understand it myself and playing what I already have to me seems more intuitive, and seems to follow the drums and guitar better. Idk though maybe you're right I just couldn't get the rhythm you laid out to work in the map as well for me. I might just need clarity though.

00:45:348 (2,3,1) - stack these since this is still mapped to the guitar melody and not the drum fill?
> Good call.

00:45:779 (3) - i think it would be more climactic / expressive if this was 4 circles at a decent spacing
> Reworked.

01:20:396 (1,2,3,4) - maybe use the overlap seen later in the section? : 01:23:850 (1,2,3,4) - 01:27:335 (1,2,3,4) -
> I think it's not a problem... It adds variety to keep the map from being bland and I see where you're coming from with this as it should be a reflection of other parts within the section; however, the general idea of the whole section in the music for this part was fairly easy polygons and the drums also gradually more heavily punctuate on the stronger 01:23:850 (1,3) and 01:27:335 (1,3) rhythms as the section goes on. I mapped this in chronological order feeling the ever so slight buildup in the music and this is how it turned out. It doesn't seem to be an issue to me.

01:31:227 (1) - remove NC
I think it makes the pattern more visually appealing and I don't think it's an issue as the NC is on a powerful note. I'm not too sure if this is really an issue so I'll leave it but if you have a bit of an explanation I'm all ears.

01:32:697 (1,2,3,4,5) - almost overlap looks ugly
> Hmm, I don't necessarily agree... I wish there was a way to crowd source for something like this; I am changing the section though as it does kinda stick out in comparison to the fairly spaced section beforehand and 01:34:143 (1,2,3,4,1) actually within the section at hand itself.

02:03:321 (1,2,3,1,2) - i think you should change how you map this part, its extremely non-energetic especially after the first half of the map. there's drums in the background you can use to map filler rhythm while emphasizing the guitar with spacing and sliders.
> I contemplated this for a while while I was mapping, I thought it might be a timing issue because of 2:06:361 not being perfect with the previous red tick at 2:06:383 for that particular note and I didn't want to rob a player of a 300 but I think its easy enough with a note added... Reworked. I added filler but I still want the section to lack space as the solo is technical (timing-wise) and as an insane diff the challenge is mostly aimed towards how you handle following the guitar rhythmically -- also drums whenever I feel they're prominent enough to follow -- and keeping up with bursts of more dense rhythms. I generally wanted to slow the beatmap down in this section to change the feel of the map and let the player know there's a change of pace; something along the lines of "Hey... This part is different from what you've played up until now."

02:22:216 (1,2) - i think the tail of one should be a clickable circle
> I don't see why 2:22:595 or 2:22:975 would be a circle, I don't even know which one you're talking about because I can't seem to make sense out of it... Please elaborate if you can.

02:25:264 (5) - separate into two sliders
> I get why you're saying this (The first beat reflects the third and the second reflects the fourth) but I think this emphasizes equally as well in a different way based on cursor positioning and by no means is better or worse than your idea in my opinion. I don't think this is an issue and just comes down to my personal preference being a little different.

02:27:131 (5) - the tail of this slider should definitely be clickable, very important sound there
Reworked.

02:27:880 (2,3,1,2,1) - technically unrankable pattern i think, but if not its at the very least extremely misleading. i think if you slight overlap the sliders instead of perfect overlap and expand them outwards from the center or something it would keep the same idea but work better
> Yeah I knew this section was wonky, I reworked it without hesitation. a lot has changed and I chose halfway through the odd guitar portion to follow the guitar, but follow it a bit less and adhere to the drums a bit more. I'd like to know if you think this is good or not if you're willing to look through again.

02:32:377 (1,1,1) - unnecessary NC
> I think this pattern has more appeal with these new combos; and it follows the guitar's repeating sound on every new combo. I like to believe this isn't an issue in that sense and I've seen Ekoro's Everything will freeze - Time Freeze go from an octagon with similar combo to what you're saying I should have into what it is now at a slightly differently shaped octagon with new combos exactly like mine. It just makes me think removing the new combos would be a step back in a sense.

02:36:481 (3) - not a fan of multiple repeat 1/2 sliders, i think it'd make more sense if it was just (slight) stacked 1/2 sliders
> I can't really say this is an issue and I'm a fan of it as you've seen a couple other instances in this map earlier. It also gets rid of the map being bland with repetition as its not exactly the same as the combo beforehand that has a different sound.

02:46:957 (2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3) - i would make these into sliders, its nearly impossible to read that this is a 1/3 rhythm as is. if not sliders, then NC all of them. sliders would be better though since you use them for the second half of this part anyways
> I'm not really a fan of new combo spam but I did think this needed changed when you brought it up. Probably that hardest part timed to play correctly... I must've spent around 2 hours working this part total now xD So here's what I did, let me know if you think it's better if you have the time. I use hitsounds pretty frequently in this map to help the player stay in time. The section starting at 02:58:992 (1) was literally impossible for me to hit correctly until I hitsounded this map... So here's what I did for the section at hand... I made new combos and normal-hitclaps on every rhythm guitar queue to make this part easier to follow.

02:58:992 - for the stream section starting here, spacing should both start and end bigger i think. its very anticlimactic because of how easy it is to hit. also if you select the entire stream you should notice that it could definitely use more of the screen space
> My initial goal was difficulty in a streaming endurance test but I do think this could use a bit more spacing now that you brought it up. You can hit 8 notes without even moving your cursor at first >.< Scaled up.

normal
my qualms with this difficulty are moreso general things than one-offs or specific things so i'll just give some pointers. for a lower level diff on a song like this you definitely want pretty consistent rhythms. > This is literally the most consistent rhythm my mapping ability could come up with for this song being how it is at a constantly changing time signature of 8/8, 10/8 and 2/8. You wouldn't have guessed this because it's so far from being possible this way but this originally was an easy difficulty. Halfway through making the song my friend Amai Chocolate played the map on stream and had trouble with the rhythm even though he's managed 500+ combo on Atama no Taisou's Nogard difficulty... soooo I thought of naming it hard and stuck with naming it normal because of osu's star difficulty being misleading in that instance... you're implementing a bunch of variations which newer players wont be able to comprehend and will frustrate them. > Yeah it really sucks that I think new players would have to replay this song a lot to imprint an idea of the rhythm in their head to get the map down but I really have no idea what to do to make this song easier.the structure itself visually is mostly fine though, and you're using constant spacing which is good. i would avoid stacking objects however, as in some places you stack 1/1 beat gaps and in other places you don't.> Even though the map is a shit fest of overly intricate timing for the difficulty entailed, I think these are okay because every single stack has to do with the 2/8 measures of the song. Not a single one is out of place in this instance and I was very careful following through with this idea for the map.
Topic Starter
Doguu
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.