forum

Improving your finger`s speed?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Neptune
Hey there, I`ve got a question, because I can`t really hit Z and X very fast, I can do streams, but not F.I Cry for Eternity`s streams, so I had this question:

Is there any way to improve your finger`s speed? Better hand positioning, or a practice method? Thanks in advance.
fartownik

Neptune wrote:

Hey there, I`ve got a question, because I can`t really hit Z and X very fast, I can do streams, but not F.I Cry for Eternity`s streams, so I had this question:

Is there any way to improve your finger`s speed? Better hand positions etc?
Try different hand positions, different keyboard positions and if you feel like it change the hit buttons from "z x" to something else.
Also play high BPM maps with streams as often as it's possible.
If you still don't feel like hitting such fast streams, think about changing your keyboard to some better one. Mechanic keyboard should provide you AT LEAST 200bpm doable streams. Also flat keyboard is a bit better than regular one while streaming.
Topic Starter
Neptune

fartownik wrote:

Neptune wrote:

Is there any way to improve your finger`s speed? Better hand positions etc?
Try different hand positions, different keyboard positions and if you feel like it change the hit buttons from "z x" to something else.
Also play high BPM maps with streams as often as it's possible.
If you still don't feel like hitting such fast streams, think about changing your keyboard to some better one. Mechanic keyboard should provide you AT LEAST 200bpm doable streams. Also flat keyboard is a bit better than regular one while streaming.
Thanks for this, I already have a flat keyboar due to playing on my laptop, can you give me an example of a mechanic keyboard? And what should that kinds of keyboard cost?
James2250
(Moving to General Questions) errrr oops~

The best way to improve is just to keep practicing, it will take a while but you will get better with time.
If you look around you can find some other threads with some suggestions on how to improve as well~

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=62210
Natteke
play my stream compilation until you can at least pass it
Shael_old
just play and play more till you are used to it and then try to improve more and more, there is no shortway to get faster
lolcubes
Yeah, 'teke's stream compilation is very good for that, atleast it was for me.
Once you can handle almost all the streams there, move on to chipscape or something.
Also I found out that I stream much better using wider key positions, c and s for me, instead of z and x.
Kert

lolcubes wrote:

chipscape
I think it's not really that good for streaming, because you have to single tap 1/2 more than streaming itself
I suggest someting like:
Humanoid - MENDES
Shiraishi - Shinsekai

And yeah, hand position and slim keyboard like fartownik said helps a lot
Espionage724
I tried using different finger combinations. I noticed my index and ring finger could keep a more consistant streaming speed, but it felt weird, and was a bit slower when compared to using my index and middle finger.

I also tried different keys. I used to use ZX a lot, then switched to SD, then kinda went all over the keyboard going to 56, GH, Spacebar and Alt, etc... I'm back to ZX now.

I now just usually do some insane streaming practice right before going to bed.

With streaming, idk if I'm really consitant with it or not. Like there is times where I'll hit every stream perfectly in a song, then there are times where I can't even do the first stream on that same song. I guess I need to work on timing? Idk. Usually when I see a bunch of beat's right on top of each other, I don't count how many beats are there or anything, I just sort of spam Z and X. I guess it works out...

As for individual finger speed, my index and middle finger on my right hand are noticeably faster then the index and middle on my left hand. Problem is, I can't seem to do any mouse clicking at all without loosing accuracy :/
Shiro

Natteke wrote:

play my stream compilation until you can at least pass it
This. Or just practice on Mei, Shinsekai (not aho's version), or DT some streamy maps.
When you stream, I find it better to stream with the keyboard only, as you can focus on the rhythm for your left hand (assuming you're right-handed) and just move with your right one.

This will of course lead to imbalances in your two hands' accuracies and stream hitting speed.
RhaiizoN

Shael wrote:

just play and play more till you are used to it and then try to improve more and more, there is no shortway to get faster
^This
silmarilen
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/9220

that one is also nice for streams
dNextGen
put loads of effort into smashing the zx buttons rapidly
silmarilen

dNextGen wrote:

put loads of effort into smashing the zx buttons rapidly
isnt that what this whole game is about?
Jalatiphra
play streams until your muscles give you a hard hard hard pain.

STOP
SLEEP

try again

-> improve
ziin
play stepmania.

much better training than any osu map, especially because you can slow it down and speed it up .5-1.5x

but if you insist, play maps on half time and practice using 2 fingers until you know the rhythm of the song, then do it full size. Play maps that you know you can stream properly then increase the BPM slightly and play a map of similar bpm.
Waryas

silmarilen wrote:

This is slow enough for one finger...
silmarilen

JesusYamato wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

This is slow enough for one finger...
we are talking about people who have trouble with streams here, not people who can 300 a full 260 BPM stream with more than 50 notes.
Natteke
He likes to showoff
Scorpium
S o r c e r y
Press keyboard soft and fast, make sure that your fingers speed are keep constant for long stream. You will discover the typing speed craftsmanship after that. :idea:
Sander-Don
Finger weights? 8-) or just practice streamy maps.
Espionage724

Sander-Don wrote:

Finger weights? 8-)
http://www.chromercise.com/

(the sweat bands actually exist too, I applied and got some in the mail for free :p)
cococococo_old
use hacks
-Shi_old

Jalatiphra wrote:

play streams until your muscles give you a hard hard hard pain.

STOP
SLEEP

try again

-> improve
this or take a lil 5 minute break, and keep on berserking until you gotta sleep, then wake up and repeat for the whole day.

my own song choice I picked in 5 seconds for noobies:

1: Syrsa - Mad Machine [Champion]

Fun 270bpm map, weak 180 bpm on half time, but I guess it will do before you attempt 220bpm.

2: 07th Expansion - rog-unlimitation [AngelHoney]
07th Expansion - rog-limitation [SOLO]

A few maps I can come up with, they're only 220bpm, so keep on trying to fc these maps, until you can you go on to faster stuff.

3: Mad Machine again, no half time lol. 270bpm is kinda fun.

4: DragonForce - Heroes of Our Time [Knight] + Double Time

Yay! 300bpm <3

there's better choices, and choosing different maps would be best.
excellions
who cares, play maps/songs you enjoy
thelewa
But what if those maps happen to be super high bpm maps?
-Shi_old

ragelewa wrote:

But what if those maps happen to be super high bpm maps?
even better \:D/
Waryas
take a break from osu, come back stronger than ever.
i'm ranking dt that i couldn't even pass before atm. and i didn't play osu a lot these past 2months.
show more