forum

How long does it take to learn

posted
Total Posts
show more
zekromshock

KupcaH wrote:

Depends on person, everyone has different progress rate.
But regardless, A LOT.
And then some MORE
Teh Kotak_old
A lot
But it's not like you need to brainstorm for 500 hours figuring things out for a circle clicking game, right?
autoteleology
You can't really evaluate maps by their star difficulty, especially at the higher end.

Pretty much any competent player can pass Can't Defeat Airman despite being a 7 star because it has an HP drain of 3.

Meanwhile, have fun FCing this piece of shit map despite being a 3 star: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/29930&m=0

Or we can go even further down the rabbit hole with this two-star mess: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/3990?m=0
-Makishima S-
After over 700 hours I didn't gave a fuck about 6*+ so I don't even know what I can reliable pass. Take a note I look at accouracy a lot and something below this minimum 93-95% (depends on type of map and length) doesn't even count as passing a map for me.

Everyone have different goals, most of people are going for "just survive" which means pass a map without "No Fail" mod regardless of accuracy and combo. There are also people like me who require obtaining certain stats to count something as successful pass.

All depends on player, everyone have different learning curve. Also amount of hours doesn't mean shit. Mine is heavily influenced by randomly spending time on low diffs "just for sake of music and fun" (which means around 3-4* while for progression rate I should sit mainly on 5*+).
Rossi
1 month to can pass 2.5*
3 months to can pass 3*
6 months to can pass 3.5*
8 months to can pass 4*
10 months to EZ get SS at 3* - 3.5*
1 year 5 months to can pass 5*

And now already 3 years since I play I still cant pass 6* or 7* :\
Teh Kotak_old
^dem retries wtf
Xassie
It depends on person and his playstyle. Like if he always trying to play for pp - it could be long road. If he will play training maps (jump/stream/reading) - it could be quick enough. As for me, for one year playing osu!std I can just pass 6*, without getting some good pp amount. I still need to click faster, that has always been my problem, slow fingers. It can be fixed if you, for example, tapping a rhythm of song while using mp3 or smth like that. But in general, you can just play more, and it will become itself one time ^ ^
mulraf

TheXassie wrote:

Like if he always trying to play for pp - it could be long road. If he will play training maps (jump/stream/reading) - it could be quick enough. As for me, for one year playing osu!std I can just pass 6*, without getting some good pp amount.
just played for the lulz with like 30k playcount for 4 years, got me to pass 2-3* maps with some effort. then after another 2 years and 30k additional playcount with pp farming it went to 7* pass with 8* in reach. true, it's maps like highscore and piotr rubik now instead of maps like uninstall and gensou no satellite but still i think people think to lowly of farming pp as a method of improving :/ you always push yourself after all which is a good method to git better imho.
Edgar_Figaro

mulraf wrote:

TheXassie wrote:

Like if he always trying to play for pp - it could be long road. If he will play training maps (jump/stream/reading) - it could be quick enough. As for me, for one year playing osu!std I can just pass 6*, without getting some good pp amount.
just played for the lulz with like 30k playcount for 4 years, got me to pass 2-3* maps with some effort. then after another 2 years and 30k additional playcount with pp farming it went to 7* pass with 8* in reach. true, it's maps like highscore and piotr rubik now instead of maps like uninstall and gensou no satellite but still i think people think to lowly of farming pp as a method of improving :/ you always push yourself after all which is a good method to git better imho.
The problem isn't so much PP farming as it is retrying. Due to standard having this concept of no FC = no PP (not 100% accurate statement but true enough) people tend to play the same maps over and over until they get that FC. CTB imo also has this problem and due to this improvement is halted due to grinding on the same map over and over. I PP farm in pretty much all 4 modes but I find I improve faster doing so in Taiko and Mania as I don't have to shoot for an FC but just a good play (high ACC and not a lot of misses which is a good metric for when to move on as your at least competent on the maps at that difficulty if not flawless)

So TLDR PP farming can help you improve but only if your careful to not spam retry (I fall into this temptation alot :( )
I Give Up
6 star doesn't take too long, but 7 star is a huge difficulty spike and to this day i still can't fc those.
Skidayo
it only depends on your talent and dedication
if somebody fc'd 7* with 1k hour playing it doesn't mean you can also do it with 1k hour playing. it might take less or more
DXPOHIHIHI
I can already do 4 star maps after 24 hours of gameplay, I think you can master 6 - 7 star maps after 100 hours of playing or less(depends)
KupcaH

szkiller wrote:

I can already do 4 star maps after 24 hours of gameplay, I think you can master 6 - 7 star maps after 100 hours of playing or less(depends)
This is the most retarded thing I've ever heard.
ManuelOsuPlayer

szkiller wrote:

Go for it.
N0thingSpecial

szkiller wrote:

I can consistently do 6* pp maps after 750 hours of gameplay I think I can play 12* maps in 1500 hours
-Makishima S-

szkiller wrote:

You can already brainless mash 4* but not play them at all after 24 hours, I think you can master 4 star maps after next 500 hours of playing or more.
Pachiru

szkiller wrote:

Nice meme
Spirit_Dreamer

szkiller wrote:

Ahagon (your avatar), go home you're drunk xD
Xayah_DELETED
I tend to get told alot that from when I started up to now (consistently ok-acc FC many low 5*) that I have improved really fast in a short time span.
I'm at 234 hours playtime rn, and all I did was just NEVER retry a map (except if I shitmiss/too many 100's in the first like 20 seconds of a map) and just move on to another map, always playing a very wide variety of maps. And despite being made a fool of, as soon as I got tablet, the PP and improvement came raining down on me. Also, I just put in alot of hours at once into this game instead of playing 30 minutes a day.
altbleak
I've got 20 hrs playtime (started 29 days ago) and from 3 to almost 4 star maps go w/ B rating or A if I try to attempt on concentrating getting good grades which I really don't care about...

Just try to do stuff that you "can't" do and you'll improve bit by bit. If there is certain types of streaks that are hard, repeat those until you get backbone level of understanding on it... Do few repeats on beatmaps that you like - note - don't just try to do something impossible for one hour straight but cover the playtime for like every half an hour or so (into the middle of some other game if you happen to play any :) ) and do something that is insane; but in the limits of reasonable. Just like physical training/gym - Make your week plan so that you try to put on more weights/reps every day and do exercises that get you to the zone of uncomfortable.

My only problem is getting super dense when I know that I've got a long streak (ends usually up in streakbreak and that point on it's just "let's just try to get even slightly better score than last time...") // the only thing I have to get over with... which hopefully happens in time :cry:
altbleak

szkiller wrote:

But okay the 6-7 star maps after 100 hours is just retarded... those are like f'n 100 times harder than 4 star ones

You'll need some serious muscle memory w/ your mouse or tablet and button mashing hand... Okay you can't even do those w/ mouse (or can you?) - but yeah... and some extra shock therapy for your index/middle finger muscles if you are planning to go below 1000 hrs
ManuelOsuPlayer

mmmisHmasH wrote:

I've got 20 hrs playtime (started 29 days ago) and from 3 to almost 4 star maps go w/ B rating or A if I try to attempt on concentrating getting good grades which I really don't care about...

Just try to do stuff that you "can't" do and you'll improve bit by bit. If there is certain types of streaks that are hard, repeat those until you get backbone level of understanding on it... Do few repeats on beatmaps that you like - note - don't just try to do something impossible for one hour straight but cover the playtime for like every half an hour or so (into the middle of some other game if you happen to play any :) ) and do something that is insane; but in the limits of reasonable. Just like physical training/gym - Make your week plan so that you try to put on more weights/reps every day and do exercises that get you to the zone of uncomfortable.

My only problem is getting super dense when I know that I've got a long streak (ends usually up in streakbreak and that point on it's just "let's just try to get even slightly better score than last time...") // the only thing I have to get over with... which hopefully happens in time :cry:
There is some sound settings to make maps feel way shorter than they really are, instead feel the 2min maps like 6 mins.
ZeroxPlaysOsu
It's not that much about time spent on the game rather than playing regularly. Play maybe 1 hour a day every day and you will progress really fast.
ayamindo
does farming 6* maps and getting 200pp at 134 hours total gameplay normal?
Celine
i miss manuel
Stalemated
Depends on the person, I personally could never pass any 5* in the 5 months i played with mouse, but after a year since i switched to tablet im able to comfortably fc low-mid 6* maps (i got almost 500 hours of playtime)
TeIe
I passed a three-star map two weeks after starting the game and passed a four-star map 2 weeks after that.
Juuuuuuuuul
i think i'll be able to play correctly 5* when around 1800 hours playtime.
wowpolaki
I played like first time some years ago, maps like 1-2 stars and they was hard for me. Now I started to play frequently and in 2 months I can do 4-5 maps with mouse.
shovelspan
h
tarnowetzki
Depends on the person. It took me a few weeks to get to 3 and my friend started at the same time and is doing 5-6 star