~ "Can you mod my
mapmod please?" ~
you thought it was the usual queue, but it was
Ok, on a more serious note, let's actually talk about what this queue is about.
- The main goal of this queue is to improve modders, more then mappers. There are plenty of modding queues out there, whose only purpose is improving the maps our continuously growing community produces, but there are none to actually improve the work of those who make this improvement possible in the first place.
People has started to uselessly complain about how there aren't enough BNs for everyone and that ranking is slow and that yadda yadda useless stuff yadda yadda. (quick note: BNs are not a service, they are volunteers, as you might be someday too. They have no obligation to check your map whatsoever)
I won't really rant about this since that's not the point. The point is that we should think to some solution to actually improve the situation in the long term (by improving everyone's overall modding ability) and not in the short term (increasing the number of BNs for then come back to the same situation once these BNs retire for any reason).
- You guys will be posting your mods in this queue and I will edit each post with a mod over your mod, telling you what could be improved, what you missed or what can easily be ignored.
This is by no means a full length course on how modding works or how it should be done. It's just me giving pointers so you can work further on your own on such aspects. If possible, it would be cool if you could upload the exact version of the map you modded, that way those who come later and just want to take a peak can see the map you modded and can have a direct way to check your suggestions, as well as mine afterwards. I will do so myself once I get to the mod in question anyway, but at that point fidelity might not be 100% to original so ye...
It would also be cool if other people actually did this, and I refer mainly to the BNg and even more to the QAT, who are considered the top notch modders of the community. Regardless of this though, keep in mind that there is no perfect modder out there and what I might see might not be everything, as well as what a QAT/BN sees is not everything either. We are humans after all and we make mistakes, unlike machines (unfortunately).
I hope that by making a comparison between your opinion on the map, the mapper's opinion about his own map and my opinion on top of all this can help you have a more open mind about what a map entails and what works and what doesn't in general. Just keep in mind we're not here to determine the universal truth about anything and maps that require heavy work might be skipped in general due to time constraints on my end.
Hope you'll benefit from this, so without further ado, let the mods rolling!
(Quick note: if the flux of mods is too high I might not get to everyone, so bare with me. I'm not here to just mod others' mods all day anyway x) )
In case you didn't notice, I have another queue from where I actually take mod requests from:
t/225078 (M4M only, rarely open) (I take BN checks by PM)
- the main point of the queue is asking for feedback about your own mods. In short, I will be modding your mods
- post any number (no more than 3 mods per post please) of mods you want to be reviewed
- you can post as many times, just don't spam me, I have a life and I won't be tending to this every day in any programmed schedule (I'm also the only one doing this and I'm not a machine)
- try to provide the exact .osz of what you modded for future reference
- I will be editing your post with my mod/comments for reference and eventually add the .osz I used if there is none provided
- read others' mods too, you might become the next BN if you expand your knowledge enough!