forum

Choosing the best difficulty?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Insyni
How do you choose the best difficulty for optimal practice?

I'm really torn as I've heard that you should go for songs that you can get 97%+ accuracy on... but that is dropping below 3 star maps for me. However lower maps don't have any technical difficulty so I would be losing out on practice on fast doubles/ triples/ streams/ jumps that I get in 4-4.8 star maps.

So any tips for picking the right difficulty for improving? :?
dung eater
pick what you want to play

if you are trying and it seems to make you play a bit better you are probably learning something
Topic Starter
Insyni

bla wrote:

pick what you want to play

if you are trying and it seems to make you play a bit better you are probably learning something
It just sometimes feels that getting better at one thing is always killing the other... if you know what I mean.
7ambda
You don't CHOOSE a difficulty. You choose whatever maps would best suit improving your weaknesses.
KupcaH
Find what is the most comfortable for you and play.
Yolshka

Insyni wrote:

It just sometimes feels that getting better at one thing is always killing the other... if you know what I mean.
Same. Sometimes i feel like that too.
I wouldn't say it really matters tho, you'll have to decide what kind of a player you'd like to be and pick maps accordingly.
Pretty hard to get good at everything.
Those 3 star maps you've mentioned probably have some kind of artificial difficulty attached to them if you're struggling.
Still , figuring it out is pretty natural,i assume that most would have no issue with it, given time.
And remember, that most likely you're only going to get better at exactly what you practice.
Good luck.
:D
wiwhproi
Aim to get 97% on stuff, sure, that's a fine goal.

Even still, go ahead and play stuff you can't get 97% on. Just make sure you play stuff that you believe you can improve to reach 97% on eventually, even if it takes a few months. Settle for less right now (maybe even down to about 90%), but don't settle for less long term. Keep working on improving those scores which are less than 97% and you'll be working on improving accuracy as much as your other skills.
Topic Starter
Insyni

wiwhproi wrote:

Aim to get 97% on stuff, sure, that's a fine goal.

Even still, go ahead and play stuff you can't get 97% on. Just make sure you play stuff that you believe you can improve to reach 97% on eventually, even if it takes a few months. Settle for less right now (maybe even down to about 90%), but don't settle for less long term. Keep working on improving those scores which are less than 97% and you'll be working on improving accuracy as much as your other skills.
Ah, I see tyvm!

Yolshka wrote:

Those 3 star maps you've mentioned probably have some kind of artificial difficulty attached to them if you're struggling.
One would imagine low ar and bpm would be good for accuracy practice, but when it comes to following sliders to the end and streams it's a pain to keep a consistent pace and accuracy. x.x
ManuelOsuPlayer
Play maps where you got A try S. S try to SS. Maps B try to A. Maps C try to B. Maps D try to C. Maps what you didn't pass already play them.
Wishes
Play some challenging maps sometimes and just try to pass them. Other times play easier maps and try to FC them. Play a bit of DT to improve reading speed. Switch it up, you don't need to always be worrying about having super high acc.
kai99
I'd say.. Start around 3.4* and make your way up. List your maps by difficulty and just play whatever maps until, around 4 or 4.2* or until you start getting Bs.
That's what I usually do and it helped me find the difficulty I feel most comfortable on. Though, if you start getting Bs, it is a sign you shouldnt go beyond that level
Topic Starter
Insyni

kai99 wrote:

I'd say.. Start around 3.4* and make your way up. List your maps by difficulty and just play whatever maps until, around 4 or 4.2* or until you start getting Bs.
That's what I usually do and it helped me find the difficulty I feel most comfortable on. Though, if you start getting Bs, it is a sign you shouldnt go beyond that level
I think this is the strategy I usually follow, but how many maps in each category do you usually play before you move on? Ex. 10 maps in 3.5 before moving to 3.6? I'm just wondering b/c there are a lot of outliers in each of the difficulties where I can end up with a C on a 3.6 star song, or a S on a 4.8 star song.
Nanachii
i usually put 15-20 maps in my collections because i feel 10 is too little
Deva
Just keep trying to pass freedom dive and always fail near the end like I do

100% fun confirmed
ManuelOsuPlayer

HK_ wrote:

Just keep trying to pass freedom dive and always fail near the end like I do

100% fun confirmed
Better than die on the middle when you consistenly pass the end xD
Celine
FC+1 star for me
kai99

Insyni wrote:

kai99 wrote:

I think this is the strategy I usually follow, but how many maps in each category do you usually play before you move on? Ex. 10 maps in 3.5 before moving to 3.6? I'm just wondering b/c there are a lot of outliers in each of the difficulties where I can end up with a C on a 3.6 star song, or a S on a 4.8 star song.
i have around 7k maps so i just play whatever down the list i find attractive tbh. if you do 10 maps in each sr it'll take you ages down the list, i'd say around 3-4.
im not saying you go down each star rating every day (e.g. 3.4 --> 3.5 the next day) - i'm not sure if we're on the same page- i was saying more like, each day, you start at 3.4, end at 4.2.

do that for a few days and you'd have played quite an amount of maps in that range.

outliers which i get bad ranks on, i make a collection called "better acc" or "hard maps" (whatever feels nice. ...) and put them there so i can retry them later. if I go for pp i rarely touch those kinds of maps but if i go for fun and skills i go back to that category and play.