forum

Fox Stevenson - Throwdown [Taiko]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Malikil
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, April 04, 2018 at 11:08:02 PM

Artist: Fox Stevenson
Title: Throwdown
BPM: 175
Filesize: 8582kb
Play Time: 03:17
Difficulties Available:
  1. How do I even? (4.97 stars, 979 notes)
Download: Fox Stevenson - Throwdown
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
If this turns out to be quality, then I guess I hit it lucky. Just don't expect anything more out of me.

I don't know why I thought this might be a good idea. I don't even play taiko, let alone map it. But for some reason I decided this needed to be a taiko map.
spIyrg
It's a great map, especially considering you haven't mapped taiko before!

three major things to point out:
1) The timing is a bit off. try setting the offset to -18 and snapping the timing points to the new offset. It works much better this way.
2) The finishes are a little bit obscure in placement, and can disrupt players when reading the map's notes as they pop up on screen. Maybe settle down with these when the note density is high? (00:43:867 (1) to 01:25:010 (118), and 02:33:582 (1) to 03:17:296 (166) (keep the very last note as a finish though))
3) Hitsounds are often overlooked by players like myself, but in taiko I need them to be able to tell if I'm on time or not with ease (as well as adding a bit to the song itself). In your map, hitsounds aren't audible (or at least for me) due to what I believe is a choice of hitsound that taiko doesn't like. Try changing this throughout the whole song (do this by changing the hitsounds back to the normal set, rather than the drum set).

Most of the rest of the map is fine, and the 2nd drop (starting at 02:33:582 (1)) is really well mapped excluding the finishes.
Hope that you decide to continue this set even further in future, or even just map more taiko sometime.

Good luck!
Topic Starter
Malikil
Sorry it's taken me ages to come back to this. I totally didn't forget because I happened to not be home when you posted...

Yeah, definitely not that.

Mod Reply
It's a great map, especially considering you haven't mapped taiko before!

three major things to point out:
1) The timing is a bit off. try setting the offset to -18 and snapping the timing points to the new offset. It works much better this way.
Oh you're right, I like that better.
2) The finishes are a little bit obscure in placement, and can disrupt players when reading the map's notes as they pop up on screen. Maybe settle down with these when the note density is high? (00:43:867 (1) to 01:25:010 (118), and 02:33:582 (1) to 03:17:296 (166) (keep the very last note as a finish though))
Oof. During the kiais they're definitely trying to match with that bass drum or w/e. But holy smokes, it's like I was using finish as 'just another hitsound'. I've eased off on the finishes a bit, especially in the kiais. I still don't really know what sort of finish placement is common for taiko, but I definitely think it's much better now.
3) Hitsounds are often overlooked by players like myself, but in taiko I need them to be able to tell if I'm on time or not with ease (as well as adding a bit to the song itself). In your map, hitsounds aren't audible (or at least for me) due to what I believe is a choice of hitsound that taiko doesn't like. Try changing this throughout the whole song (do this by changing the hitsounds back to the normal set, rather than the drum set).
I'm don't remember what led me to use the Drum set in the first place. It could have been because it's taiko, of course I'd use the drum set. Or I just didn't care for how the normal set sounded in the editor. Whatever the case I changed back to normal.

Most of the rest of the map is fine, and the 2nd drop (starting at 02:33:582 (1)) is really well mapped excluding the finishes.
Hope that you decide to continue this set even further in future, or even just map more taiko sometime.
Wow, thanks! :)

Good luck!

Edit:
Oh, oops :(

#BlameTheNewSite