posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Meah
Zekks
leave
Serraionga

clover
They're all just butthurt that this will go down as the cinematic masterpiece of our generation
Fhaye
kys op
levesterz
Part of my emotion died everytume i look at thar
Razzy
can we not
7ambda
6% 4Head

Zekks
Disilike
Mahogany
I can't wait for the hilariously critical reviews. I'm glad this corporate piece of shit is going to be universally hated
Railey2
Isnt it just a kids movie with a positive message like "its ok to be different" ?

Am i missing something here
Mahogany
I just hate it because it's clueless, soulless corporate bullshit.
I mean, it may be a kids movie, but that doesn't make it immune to criticism, right? You can make kids movies that are good movies at the same time. There's a world of difference between something like the Minions movie and the Lego movie.
Railey2
if the main criticism is that the humor is shit, then people seem to be missing the point. The humor works for 6-13 year olds, so it's perfect as that is the movie's target audience.

Let an 8 year old watch it and ask him if its soulless. Of course YOU are going to have a different perspective on it because you're a bitter 20 year old, but thats completely beside the point.

Like having 8 year olds watch "saving private ryan", to see if they like it.
dumb
Mahogany
I don't think kids are going online to see what review scores are for the emoji movie before seeing it, though.
Sure the movie might not be for my target audience, but the reviews' target audiences aren't kids, either. Being "for kids" isn't a universal safeguard against any negative review.
I think ralphthemoviemaker makes a good point here about the "it's for kids" argument, and the difference between a good kids movie and a bad one. Films like the minions movie and this new emoji one catering to the sorts of people he's showing, which "only serve to ruin movies for the rest of us and make kids dumber".
I don't fault kids for enjoying dumb movies, they're kids. If they enjoy it, it makes me happy. But that doesn't mean we can't criticize the worse kids movies, so we get more of the better ones. I'm not the target audience for the Lego movie either, but that was a damn good film.
-Makishima S-
"Frozen" is a movie for kids and every age audience like it
"Madagaskar" series are movies for kids and every age audience like it

This "Emoji movie" is supposed to be a movie for a kids and only autistic shit like it since even smart kids dislike it.
My 8-years old cousin called this movie straight away "bad" when I wanted to give it to him this morning. Looks like bad fame is in front of it before people even watch it.
Railey2

[Taiga] wrote:

"Frozen" is a movie for kids and every age audience like it
"Madagaskar" series are movies for kids and every age audience like it

This "Emoji movie" is supposed to be a movie for a kids and only autistic shit like it since even smart kids dislike it.
My 8-years old cousin called this movie straight away "bad" when I wanted to give it to him this morning. Looks like bad fame is in front of it before people even watch it.
Right. He called it bad before even having the chance to watch it. I'm sure you can count on his opinion to be very unbiased.
You can bet that he's just jumping on the hate-train that's been going strong for no good reason.

Good to see that the internet can ruin kid's fun before they even get to watch it.

Mahogany wrote:

Being "for kids" isn't a universal safeguard against any negative review.
kind of is. Most of the criteria that you'd apply to review normal movies aren't very useful when applied to kids movies, because kids don't generally care about that stuff.

Overused, boring tropes? Kids dont care - not useful.
Superficial themes? Kids definitely not care - Definitely not useful.
Coherent storyline? Sorta useful but not really since again - kids often dont care.
Predictability? Kids don't care.

You see.. I'd totally agree that the emoji movie isn't a good movie, just from watching the trailer. But does it work as a kids movie? Hell yeah it does!

Does that mean you can't be critical? Of course not, you can do whatever you want. You can even apply the same standards to it that you'd apply to adult movies and write a review that is completely missing the point.
A movie can be unbearably awful for adults and still work really well for kids - and there's nothing wrong with that. Saying that it's not a good kids movie because ADULTS DONT LIKE IT, seems like some of the most obviously retarded things I've ever read in my entire life. Just think about that statement for a second. It's not a good kids movie because adults don't like it.

So, honest opinion. Emoji-movie just looked like the typical kids movie to me, with the typical tropes, supposedly typical plot development and so on. It's not the next Frozen, and it's probably gonna be just as enjoyable for adults to watch as Bee movie. But let me ask you. Did kids like bee movie? (spoiler: yes, they did.)

Conclusion: There's nothing wrong with it and the internet just likes circlejerking things out of proportion and ruining the movie for kids. I don't think that even half of the people that downvoted the trailer actually watched the movie. But oh well. Maybe it really is shit. Not like i'm gonna watch it to find out.
Mahogany
You're complaining that I don't understand target audiences when you're not even grasping the fact that kids aren't the target audience of reviews.
Reviews are not written for kids. They're written for adults. Kids don't decide what movies to watch based on reviews. Adults do. Adults would not want to see the Emoji movie, because it is not appealing to adults, therefore it has low review scores.
Railey2
Hello I'm writing this review for tampons.

Sadly I couldn't use the product because I'm a man. 0/10, just horrible, useless product with zero functionality.

and this is what happens when you don't consider a products target group while writing a review. In other words: It's stupid, and so is everyone that reviews emoji-movie using adult criteria. Missing the point.

Sure reviews of kids movies are written for adults. So they can decide whether or not their kid should watch it.

that was a nice video that you linked though. Very good
Mahogany
Adults can "use" kids movies, though, that ain't a good comparison.
And these reviews might be the deciding factor for a parent taking their kid to watch something like, say, The Lego Movie, over something like the Minions movie.

If you want a review from a kid, go find a kid who writes reviews. Your kid will enjoy the emoji movie or any other kids movie no matter what, kids will literally watch anything. Plenty of people will ignore the critical review scores or simply not know about them and take the kids to watch it anyway. The kids will probably enjoy it, too! That still doesn't mean it's a good movie, nor should it be scored highly.

And yeah ralph is awesome, that video is one of my favorite videos of anything ever.
Railey2
The point was obviously not whether or not you can USE something, but whether or not it makes sense to write a review about a product that is intended for someone else, as if it should be intended FOR YOU.

A product that is intended for only a specific group (Tampon: Women, Emoji-movie: children), that gets a review from someone that is not the target audience (Tampon: man, Emoji-movie: adult), while only considering only things that are relevant for his own group but not the target group (Tampon: "Hey, men can't use this!", Emoji-movie: "Hey, adults don't like this!")

gervisium wrote:

If you go "hur dur those two things are different", then you missed the point that analogies aren't about presenting two identical events but rather presenting two different events with relevant similarities. And the similarities are patently obvious here. Sure, there are differences, but if you want to counter the argument your job is to explain why the differences completely change the similarities in logic, rather than just point out that two things are different.

Let's try something else, this is how a kid movie should be reviewed if you want to take the adults perspective into account (very roughly).

A) Would my kids like it?
B) Would I like it too?
C) Does it have a positive message/can they learn something from it?
D) Would the movie harm them?

- Saving Private Ryan would be yes to B, possibly C, but also D. So while it is a good movie, you shouldn't let them watch it.

- Bee movie and Emoji Movie would be A and C but not B, so you can let them watch it but you'd probably want to avoid watching it yourself.

- The minions movie would probably just be A but not B, so they can watch it but you shouldn't. And apart from that.. it's pretty forgettable since its not C.

- Frozen would be A, B and C, so you can watch it with them.

Anyway. I don't think that the A & C but not B category deserves as much hate as it's getting. And it certainly doesn't deserve negative reviews. After all, it's still A & C, so there is some value there even if its not for you.

If you review a kid's movie just taking B into account and not anything else, you're a stupid moron and shouldn't write reviews. Not saying that you are one of these people, but they seem to make up a great part of the critics online.
Mahogany

Railey2 wrote:

The point was obviously not whether or not you can USE something, but whether or not it makes sense to write a review about a product that is intended for someone else, as if it should be intended FOR YOU.
It is literally film critics' jobs to watch movies and review them. This is their job. It's their job to assess whether a movie is considered good or bad.
Yes, some will just rate a movie based on "did I like it or not" without paying proper attention to the film itself, but the emoji movie is being universally panned. I haven't seen a single good word said about it. Of any movie to defend on this, I can't believe you'd choose this one.

Railey2 wrote:

Anyway. I don't think that the A & C but not B category deserves as much hate as it's getting. And it certainly doesn't deserve negative reviews. After all, it's still A & C, so there is some value there even if its not for you.
It's not about whether a movie is "for kids" or not, it's about whether it's a good movie. Kids will literally watch anything, and there are many, many other, better kids movies out there that teach positive messages without being awful pieces of film.

If you review a kid's movie just taking B into account and not anything else, you're a stupid moron and shouldn't write reviews. Not saying that you are one of these people, but they seem to make up a great part of the critics online.
Or maybe, just maybe, people seem to agree it's just a bad movie all around. Have you thought about the fact that adults will naturally enjoy any good kids movie, just because they're good movies? Of course better movies will be rated higher. Dribble like the Emoji movie shouldn't be given the same review scores as something like UP, just because kids, the target audience, enjoy them both.
Railey2

Mahogany wrote:

It's not about whether a movie is "for kids" or not, it's about whether it's a good movie. Kids will literally watch anything, and there are many, many other, better kids movies out there that teach positive messages without being awful pieces of film.
You claim that A always applies and therefore doesn't matter

That's wrong and retarded

You also say that kids shouldn't watch any A & C movies as long as there are A, B & C movies around.

This is also retarded

I don't care about the emoji movie and I will never watch it. It may or may not be a bad movie, whatever you mean by "bad" (not like I could ever expect something like mental clarity about concepts like "good and bad").
I just I just don't like stupidity.
Clearly, the majority of reviewers don't know the first thing about reviews: CONSIDER THE TARGET GROUP.

Have a good day
Mahogany
Having a certain target background doesn't automatically save something from just being a bad movie, though.

You also say that kids shouldn't watch any A & C movies as long as there are A, B & C movies around.
Not at all. I just said they should watch good movies over bad ones.
abraker
Any meme made into a money machine is instantly bad. You cannot profit from memes and have other people like it for quality. Their roots derive from either a joke or a relatable context turned into a joke, which is nothing culturally nor emotionally significant to allow quality taste.

Emojis are a meme tool used in text chat. The Emoji Movie a terrible attempt to profit off of that mobile media culture.
kai99
how 'bout a hashtag movie
Zekks

kai99 wrote:

how 'bout minding ur own business
Buster
Blitzfrog

[ - Zekks - ] wrote:

kai99 wrote:

how 'bout minding ur own business
how 'bout how 'bout movie
Fhaye
I am waiting for someone to pirate this movie to see if it's bad or not.
show more