forum

PP questions (Srry if asked couldnt find answer >.<)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Neko67
Even though I've been playing for like 4 months, there are still somethings I don't understand about the pp system.
I checked the wiki but I couldn't find my answer there

1. I just made my best pp play for 50p (100% weighted) and I know I had 811pp before that, after my play I checked my profile and it said I had 827pp. So I really don't get why it doesn't add 50pp. Even if i didn't check in awhile I know I would have had at least 801pp. Could someone explain why this happened?

2. This questions derives from question 1. I'm certain I made a play for 5pp after weight and wet from 801 to 806pp. But in my best performances I cant seem to find the play. So does that list only show certain plays and leave out some? even if I gained pp from a left out one.

And thats it, sorry if I missed this sort of question somewhere else in the forum. But if anyone answers I'd appreciate it.

Keep calm and neko on <3
Meah
winber1
just think outside the box a little boi

when you get a top score, ALL other scores below that one get weighted LESS, since you push them all down one rank.

sometimes plays don't get submitted, but that's extremely rare and just plain unlucky if it does happen, assuming ur internet works fine
wiwhproi
Also worth keeping in mind that there's bonus PP that's only dependent on how many maps you've passed. It doesn't matter if they're 0.5* and you got D's on them, you'll gain a fair amount of PP over time just from passing things. That may explain the increase from 801pp to 806pp.
Sandy Hoey

wiwhproi wrote:

Also worth keeping in mind that there's bonus PP that's only dependent on how many maps you've passed. It doesn't matter if they're 0.5* and you got D's on them, you'll gain a fair amount of PP over time just from passing things. That may explain the increase from 801pp to 806pp.
TLDR (or just had a hard time understanding): every single ranked play that you submit gives pp. Even after it is no longer on your top plays list, the amount may just be minuscule. All those plays probably account for the 5 pp
ManuelOsuPlayer

Sandy Hoey wrote:

wiwhproi wrote:

TLDR (or just had a hard time understanding): every single ranked play that you submit gives pp. Even after it is no longer on your top plays list, the amount may just be minuscule. All those plays probably account for the 5 pp
Are you saying if i do rightnow a pass worth 1 PP, it will be actually worth 1%-1PP=0'01 and if i pass 100 maps worth 0'01PP i will get 1PP from it?
How you know it work that way?
I was thinking the game just archived araound the 100 first plays order by PP and ignore anything else.
Sandy Hoey
I always thought it worked that way, and makes sense when some people are asking why their they have more pp then their top plays show they should. But maybe I am weong

And besides, it would still be weighted. What you said wouldn't work that way
mulraf
that's the principle of bonus pp. it's not just 1% of each play - to be accurate it is:

416.6667 (1- 0.9994^Number_of_scores)

you know it from the wiki page linked above.
by number of scores it isn't meant that you get bonus pp for every play. you get bonus pp for every difficulty you have never played before.
if you go to "group by" and do it by "rank achieved" in your song selection menue, you can get an idea of how many number of scores you have if you count together all the numbers except for "no rank achieved". it is not perfectly accurate since only ranked maps count but that should give you an idea of which maps you play count towards the bonus pp system.
if you want to know your exact bonus pp https://osu.ppy.sh/p/api this will help you.

now if you mean something that changes things beyond the bonus pp: i currently have 3675pp by my top 100 plays. i just added everything together. the program i mentioned above told me i have 380 bonus pp currently. 3675 + 380 = 4.055pp. but i have 4.070pp.
that is because it doesn't show the digits after the first digit in the top 100 plays even though they are there. instead of just 200pp a play could be ]199.5;200.5[pp, which you would also have to remember.
Edgar_Figaro

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I always thought it worked that way, and makes sense when some people are asking why their they have more pp then their top plays show they should. But maybe I am weong

And besides, it would still be weighted. What you said wouldn't work that way
The reason you have more PP than the weighted values up is because of bonus PP
Every time you pass a new map you get a bit of bonus PP capping at a max of 416.6667PP
The more bonus PP you have the less each subsequent play rewards up until the point where you get practically nothing for each play.
Fizzly
Pretty sure every ranked play gives pp. Only the top plays are shown on your profile because the list would be too long for all of them. You know that the top play is worth 100% and everything below is worth less and less as you go down. Eventually the number will get very small, like 0.0001 pp after weighting. So the game will eventually say that this small number is just zero.
Descend
Tnx for the info people ;P
abraker

Descend wrote:

Tnx for the info people ;P
Glad to be of hel-

wait a min, you are not OP
Celine
Lets make it simple
To consistently get pp you have to make good scores on harder songs than your previous scores, which means you can't farm HDDTHR on 1* and get 10k pp
Topic Starter
Neko67

Meah wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Performance_Points
This might help
I tried the wiki but im not smart so I don't really understand their values for the variables :P
Topic Starter
Neko67

winber1 wrote:

just think outside the box a little boi

when you get a top score, ALL other scores below that one get weighted LESS, since you push them all down one rank.

sometimes plays don't get submitted, but that's extremely rare and just plain unlucky if it does happen, assuming ur internet works fine
So less pp if I have a lot of plays on the map? even if it shows on my play on my top ranks for 50pp I will still get less?
However to you top score point. I did one play on this difficulty got an S, got 50pp 100% weighted, but still dont get full 50pp ?

Not trying to argue just still very lost >.< :o
Topic Starter
Neko67

_Limitless_ wrote:

Pretty sure every ranked play gives pp. Only the top plays are shown on your profile because the list would be too long for all of them. You know that the top play is worth 100% and everything below is worth less and less as you go down. Eventually the number will get very small, like 0.0001 pp after weighting. So the game will eventually say that this small number is just zero.
Now i get that from another guy above but it doesnt explain why i made only 1 play for that difficulty, got an S, became my best play for 50pp (ik i suck) but it didnt add 50pp to my score T_T

I get your point but that situation is what I don't understand
Casually
You don't get less pp depending on how many times you played a map. If you get a 99% acc fc from 1000 plays vs 1 play you still get the same amount of pp.

You still seem a little confused about the weighted scores thing, so a simple example would be this:

1. You pass map A and it's weighted 100% and gives you 10pp. Yay! You have a total of 10pp.

2. You pass map B and it's harder than map A and gives you 20pp. More yay. Map B is weighted 100% so it gives you 20pp. But since map A isn't your best score anymore, it's weighted 90% and now only gives you 9pp. Thus, now you have 29 pp and not 30, and you didn't gain the full 20 pp from passing map B.

3. You pass map C and it's harder than maps A and B. You get 30pp, weighted at 100%. Map B is now weighted 90% and map A is weighted 80%. So 30 + 18 (which is 90% of 20) + 8 (80% of 10) = 56. It looks like you didn't get the full 30 because you went from 29 -> 56.

Of course, this is a really simplified version of how the weighting system works.
Topic Starter
Neko67

BWSnoob wrote:

Lets make it simple
To consistently get pp you have to make good scores on harder songs than your previous scores, which means you can't farm HDDTHR on 1* and get 10k pp
Makes sens XD. Problem is I suck.... probs because of where I play. I sit on my bed using a wireless mouse :P
Topic Starter
Neko67

Casually wrote:

You don't get less pp depending on how many times you played a map. If you get a 99% acc fc from 1000 plays vs 1 play you still get the same amount of pp.

You still seem a little confused about the weighted scores thing, so a simple example would be this:

1. You pass map A and it's weighted 100% and gives you 10pp. Yay! You have a total of 10pp.

2. You pass map B and it's harder than map A and gives you 20pp. More yay. Map B is weighted 100% so it gives you 20pp. But since map A isn't your best score anymore, it's weighted 90% and now only gives you 9pp. Thus, now you have 29 pp and not 30, and you didn't gain the full 20 pp from passing map B.

3. You pass map C and it's harder than maps A and B. You get 30pp, weighted at 100%. Map B is now weighted 90% and map A is weighted 80%. So 30 + 18 (which is 90% of 20) + 8 (80% of 10) = 56. It looks like you didn't get the full 30 because you went from 29 -> 56.

Of course, this is a really simplified version of how the weighting system works.

I see what your saying but its my other situation that doesnt make sense, in regards to my best play. My first try on the diff, got an S, said 50pp for 100% but didnt get it! ><
Casually

Neko67 wrote:

I see what your saying but its my other situation that doesnt make sense, in regards to my best play. My first try on the diff, got an S, said 50pp for 100% but didnt get it! ><
You don't get the full 50pp because of the weighted thing I explained above. Your other scores are worth less so the pp you receive from them goes down and THEN the 50pp is added, so it looks like you got a lot less than 50pp.

If you're still confused, maybe explain what part you don't get better, because people have explained it pretty well in this thread. Or y'know, you could just have fun playing the game and stop worrying about this. If you play better, you'll get better scores and your pp will naturally go up. Understanding or not understand it won't make you play better.
Edgar_Figaro
Basically to add on to what Casually has been saying (which is all correct) The only way you will ever get a straight add of the PP for the maps is 1 of 2 conditions.

A. It is your first ranked score ever and you have nothing to push down in the list

B. It was already your #1 play and you simply increased that score (Which if you lets say went from 50PP to 60PP you'd gain 10PP on the play)
Topic Starter
Neko67
Maybe Casually was right and I misread something in other replies. I'll take another look

But thanks for all the help! :D :D :D :D :D
show more