forum

[resolved] OBS Insane dropped frames

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Unnoticed
Problem Details:
I play osu! at 60 fps and around 17ms, but when I try to record with OBS, it suddenly drops to around 20 fps and . Can anybody who uses OBS for osu! send me their OBS settings?

osu! version: 20170616.1 (latest)
sHootR
Try to turn all detail settings off: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/8690718. The problem might be outdated hardware, or too high recording quality options. If you still experience laggs, try to record in lower resolutions or lower down the recording quality (bitrate in Mbps). Otherwise try to record videos with the build-in Windows10 recorder, that should consume less ressources. (if you're using Win10).
Btw, if you're using mouse, enable RAW-Input to reduce input latency. 17ms is nearly unplayable.
Trosk-

sHootR wrote:

17ms is nearly unplayable.
17~ ms is the equivalent to 60 fps. So many people play like that, so it's not unplayable at all.

About the issue, I can't say much about OBS, but make sure you are using the "Game Capture" option and not the Desktop capture, since Game capture is supposed to need less resources from your PC.
sHootR

Trosk- wrote:

sHootR wrote:

17ms is nearly unplayable.
17~ ms is the equivalent to 60 fps. So many people play like that, so it's not unplayable at all.

About the issue, I can't say much about OBS, but make sure you are using the "Game Capture" option and not the Desktop capture, since Game capture is supposed to need less resources from your PC.
Alright, but I would consider to buy new hardware. 17ms is already noticable compared to ~1ms and in a fast paced game like osu! it's really important to have a low input latency amount. This should increase game fun too.
Dntm8kmeeatu
There is a difference between capping to 60fps and only being able to render 60fps. If ~60fps is the BEST your PC can do, you will not be able to record gameplay, as that is not nearly enough power to play and record at the same time. Encoding video on the fly is extremely intensive.

Your best bet is using your GPU recording feature in your driver, Either Nvidia Shadowplay, or AMD's ReLive Even then, no promises.
sHootR
Yeah, that's right. Unnoticed, would you mind to reveal your PC specs? :D
We can distinguish what's causing the problem then. (Either you hardware or too high recording options, although recording osu! shouldn't be that kind of a problem on recent pc builds.)
Topic Starter
Unnoticed
So my specs are my computer is an Alienware x51 r3 with a Nvidia GTX 970, Intel Core i7 6700 CPU 3.41 GHz, and 8 GB ram. 64 bit
sHootR

Unnoticed wrote:

So my specs are my computer is an Alienware x51 r3 with a Nvidia GTX 970, Intel Core i7 6700 CPU 3.41 GHz, and 8 GB ram. 64 bit
That's quite good and should be enough to play osu! with more than 60fps. Recording shouldn't make problems either. Try to use the build-in Windows 10 recorder or those that Dntm8kmeeatu mentioned above. (Shadow Play ist really good, because it's optimized for Nvidia graphic cards - would recommend it too.)
Btw, uncap your FPS with F7.
Topic Starter
Unnoticed
Thanks to everyone who contributed to my problem! I've decided to try using Nvidia Shadowplay and it works perfectly.
sHootR

Unnoticed wrote:

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my problem! I've decided to try using Nvidia Shadowplay and it works perfectly.
Good to hear! :D