forum

Streaming - Pain in middle finger joint

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ShinyUAX
Hello guys,
trying to improve my tapping/streaming speed (cause im slow af) for half a year now. When I practice stream maps a lot and see progress, after 3-5 days my middle finger joint starts hurting (I use index for tapping and middlefinger as secondary) which leads me to taking a break so my fingers wont catch any further damage. After taking this break (~1 week) im back at the start of my streaming skills. I want to improve my streaming skills, without hurting myselfe. Any tipps or tricks (finger position etc.?)
sHootR
Hallo. Schaue mal hier nach: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/99612 Dort siehst du auch eine Methode, wie man seine Hände halten kann. Bei Schmerzen solltest du immer sofort mit dem Spielen aufhören, da die Überlastung zu Krankheiten wie dem Karpaltunnel-Syndrom oder RSI führen kann.
ManuelOsuPlayer

ShinyUAX wrote:

Hello guys,
trying to improve my tapping/streaming speed (cause im slow af) for half a year now. When I practice stream maps a lot and see progress, after 3-5 days my middle finger joint starts hurting (I use index for tapping and middlefinger as secondary) which leads me to taking a break so my fingers wont catch any further damage. After taking this break (~1 week) im back at the start of my streaming skills. I want to improve my streaming skills, without hurting myselfe. Any tipps or tricks (finger position etc.?)
Flow with your fingers, don't try to make any forced movement due to frustration, stress, bad reading or whatever.
To improve speed streaming jump directly on the speed what you want to reach or higher. You should be able to practice on that speed until get bored if you play without force your hand and using the speed what you already got. You shouldn't run out of stamina or hurt yourself in anyway without speend tons of time or get really close to that BPM. If you try to reach 220 bpm and you are spamming 180-190 bpm you're going to make it harder, because muscle memory wont let you go more than 200 bpm without force your muscles a lot. That why it's better jump directly instead go step by step. Try to change the bpm you're playing to don't build tons of muscle memory on it and have future problems with other bpms.
Don't try maps with more than 30 circles streams. Or more than 15 circles if the bpm it's far away from where you are, doing it you will force your muscles to don't miss before even start increassing your speed. Getting tired and having to stop practicing for a good while without get nothing from it.
When you play 4* or below use middlefinger to singletap instead index, so you can make it faster (if you don't use only wrist/arm movement to singletap, in that case alternate instead singletap, so you can make your slower finger a little bit faster).
Bad arm angle and bad readding can make you tap slower than what really you can.
kai99
Actually i used to have this problem, but for me the problem was putting too much strain and power in my tapping hand, along with a lack of stamina. over time it slowly went away because i guess i got a better hand position or maybe because i simply played more ignoring the pain. however, if the pain is severe (mine was bad when i tried to touch where it hurt) to an extent you cannot play, i really don't recommend you overdoing it no matter how much your stream has to improve.
StephOsu
make your schedule constant instead of going all out to the point of hurting your hand
you can try to go like say, practice for 2 days and rest for 1 day, or even rest once every 2 days (which is what I do).
it's like working out for finger. You need rest days
+1 postcount
Zedek117
You're tapping too hard.
Frikandel
Joint pain? I don't know about that but if you ever feel a burning sensation, that's just your muscles getting a work out. I used to tense up a lot and feel that all the time but I would play through it.
Topic Starter
ShinyUAX

Frikandel wrote:

Joint pain? I don't know about that but if you ever feel a burning sensation, that's just your muscles getting a work out. I used to tense up a lot and feel that all the time but I would play through it.
My finger joint gets really stiff and hurts when I try to move it or put pressure on it.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Damn :S.
Don't use it until you're full recovered..
Topic Starter
ShinyUAX

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

ShinyUAX wrote:

When you play 4* or below use middlefinger to singletap instead index, so you can make it faster (if you don't use only wrist/arm movement to singletap, in that case alternate instead singletap, so you can make your slower finger a little bit faster).
Bad arm angle and bad readding can make you tap slower than what really you can.
I noticed when I play with my middlefinger, that its really weak and has no stamina. I think thats the problem. thansk for your help :) gonna try all your tips!
Topic Starter
ShinyUAX

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Damn :S.
Don't use it until you're full recovered..
Its okay right now. Just wanted to point out how bad it is if I try to practice streaming:s
ManuelOsuPlayer
Nice it's fine right now :D.
kai99
fuk now i have this
save my finger