1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings

posted
Hey, new to osu! and first time forum post :D love the game.

I've gotta ask people though, how on earth do you play with hit sounds enabled? I tried and after 3 or 4 songs I had to go in and disable it as the sounds were driving me mad and were thoroughly distracting.
I've read that hit sounds are important player feedback; what am I missing? I find I do so much better without them....
posted
Hey and welcome :)

You may just wanna hear to the song than to sounds.
I like playing with 100% sounds and 80% music volume so that I stay better in the rhythm. Idk tbh
posted

Lyawi wrote:

You may just wanna hear to the song than to sounds.
That's it, pretty much. I wonder if anyone else feels this way? Also wonder if I'm missing anything terribly important having them off.
Always hated that metronome in band practice too lol.
posted
lower your effect volume then
posted
It may just be the hit sounds for your current skin. You could try some other ones that aren't so intrusive. It is definitely nice to have when things get hectic
posted

Sandy Hoey wrote:

It may just be the hit sounds for your current skin. You could try some other ones that aren't so intrusive. It is definitely nice to have when things get hectic
I'm still working on tweaking any part of the skin like that, using the default skin still as well. I'll have to take a look around at changing those sounds.

F1r3tar wrote:

lower your effect volume then
It's currently muted and works fairly well for me, just was curious if I might do better if I found a way to make them feel less bothersome. To be entirely honest as it is I don't miss them.
posted
Hitsounds aren't needed but it may help. You can try using other sound for your hitsound, see if that's better. I play with a really soft cymbal hitsound because the popular tack tack sound is really annoying for me.
posted

Fireside92 wrote:

It's currently muted and works fairly well for me, just was curious if I might do better if I found a way to make them feel less bothersome. To be entirely honest as it is I don't miss them.
You don't miss them because you're new to the game. Once you progress to a certain point, you'll realize your at a disadvantage without them.
posted
hitsound helps you to determine if you are tapping too late or too early during play
in fact that's the only reliable way to do it without getting yourself distracted
it's literally audio cue for good accuracy
+1 postcount
posted

Sandy Hoey wrote:

It may just be the hit sounds for your current skin. You could try some other ones that aren't so intrusive. It is definitely nice to have when things get hectic
^

Find a skin with good hit sounds, they're not that annoying if you get used to it.
posted
i used to play without any hitsounds. when i hit a wall someone told me to use them and gave me other hitsounds which were more 'clicky'. it really helped a lot and i've grown to like them.
also play some beatmaps with good custom hitsounds - it'll show you that they can actually enhance the song :3 like sandpig beatmaps etc.

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/25557
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/27043
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/396370

even if you just let auto play it you might see how they can be enjoyable too if they're well done.
posted

StephOsu wrote:

hitsound helps you to determine if you are tapping too late or too early during play
This is what I had read so often that led to me starting this thread. I have been using the bar at the bottom (the blue vs. green vs. orange) to determine this, mostly when watching replays. Isn't the hit sound the same regardless of if you hit it early, spot on, or late? Is it possible to set up a different hit sound for each scenario? Or does the hit sound only play if you are within the blue (the "perfect" 300)?
posted
when you press, and if your cursor is on the circle, hitsound is produced, so yea it could be early or late.

No it is not possible to set up different hit sound for each scenario, even if you can you would be over loaded by information as note density increase in harder maps

download a bunch of skin and find one with less intrusive hitsound, copy them into your current skin via the skin folder, job done. I have 2015 cookiezi skin hitsound while using C R Y S T A L L I Z E D skin
posted

Fireside92 wrote:

I've read that hit sounds are important player feedback; what am I missing? I find I do so much better without them....
Hitsounds aid with internalizing your mental metronome resulting in more consistent accuracy during gameplay.

Fireside92 wrote:

Isn't the hit sound the same regardless of if you hit it early, spot on, or late?
You'll hear the hitsound as soon as you press the note, so it can be heard early or late if the error is great enough.
posted

Fireside92 wrote:

StephOsu wrote:

hitsound helps you to determine if you are tapping too late or too early during play
This is what I had read so often that led to me starting this thread. I have been using the bar at the bottom (the blue vs. green vs. orange) to determine this, mostly when watching replays. Isn't the hit sound the same regardless of if you hit it early, spot on, or late? Is it possible to set up a different hit sound for each scenario? Or does the hit sound only play if you are within the blue (the "perfect" 300)?
it's not possible to set that
How it helps is that if you can listen to the beat and hitsound on a separate milliseconds, it's either you are not hitting to the note rhythmically accurate (which in this case, get a better rhythm sense by playing more, especially higher OD rating maps), or the map has timing issue (which can be solved by playing around with the oddset)
+1 postcount
posted
The default hitsound isn't very nice. I like using a skin that has a very short percussive click. Like others have mentioned I also even make the hitsound louder than the music since it helps me get a better feel for the rhythm.
Please sign in to reply.