forum

Weird beat order and positions...

posted
Total Posts
show more
bwross

Espionage724 wrote:

Does anyone else hate when you see a stream or group of beats, but they don't go in the order you expect them to?
Hate? No... a little chaos makes maps interesting. It's a lot better than having a map where the patterns just trudge around the screen in a predictable fashion.

I really have no idea how to even handle beatmaps that do that :/. I try the beatmap over and over, but usually I can't see where or what beat I miss and etc...
There are several things can be done to help with working out tricky patterns:

1) Practice with mods. Easy is not your friend here (it will only make things much, much worse here). Hard Rock works wonders for dealing with chaos if it doesn't push the approach rate and drain to a point you can't deal with... smaller circles and a higher AR can really clean things up in some maps. Half Time, Auto, Relax, and Auto Pilot are also very useful for working out what a pattern is (ie play in Auto Pilot and watch the mouse movement while you work only on the beat). Keep in mind that Spun Out is useful if you don't want a play to be ranked.

2) Playing songs in Taiko or CtB can help if the issue is working out rhythm... they both present time in a simpler to see/hear fashion than approaching circles.

3) Open the song in the editor and look through it. You can also use it to practice the particular section you're having problems with, as well as using it to get really slow playbacks or just scroll back and forth.

4) Use a skin with very small or blank score markers so they won't obscure upcoming circles.
silmarilen
i had more trouble with the streams than with the beat positions on this map.
Miya

silmarilen wrote:

to master the streams just practice and practice.. :D this is a good map to practice streaming.. http://osu.ppy.sh/s/243
those
Don't watch and listen to it, just feel it.
silmarilen

Miya wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

to master the streams just practice and practice.. :D this is a good map to practice streaming.. http://osu.ppy.sh/s/243

lol no way that map sucks.
i cant stream 200 bpm. up to 170 maybe:P
Miya

silmarilen wrote:

lol no way that map sucks.
i cant stream 200 bpm. up to 170 maybe:P
lot of players play that map to train tapping your finger faster.. i think if you can pass that map on hard diff, you ll know the basic of streaming.. :) but, if you want to know more about streaming, just play osu stream compilation :D http://osu.ppy.sh/b/86044
Satonaka
You could also watch Auto play it and see where the notes go.
mochi

Miya wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

no.
Miya

qilliam wrote:

no.
i think, that's not the only map to mastering stream.. there's a lot out there.. :D
Topic Starter
Espionage724
Well, thanks to your recommended streaming beatmaps, I've seemed to of gotten slightly better with streams :) Thx lol
winber1
lol late response here (just randomly stumbled accross this thread), but another helpful thing is to perhaps find a custom skin. The default hit300/hit100/hit50 are quite big and can hinder gameplay in beatmaps where notes keep overlapping if you are not used the game yet. Other than that is just practice.

...and as a matter of fact I fced that song (in your description) on the first try i'm pretty sure. The map is easily readable to me, and i'm not that good. It just shows practice really makes a difference i guess.
Topic Starter
Espionage724

winber1 wrote:

lol late response here (just randomly stumbled accross this thread), but another helpful thing is to perhaps find a custom skin. The default hit300/hit100/hit50 are quite big and can hinder gameplay in beatmaps where notes keep overlapping if you are not used the game yet. Other than that is just practice.

...and as a matter of fact I fced that song (in your description) on the first try i'm pretty sure. The map is easily readable to me, and i'm not that good. It just shows practice really makes a difference i guess.
wish I could fc that song :/, but I guess I might be able to do it in time :p

I tried using the minimal osu! skin, seems quite nice so far :)
Miya
[quote="winber1"]lol late response here (just randomly stumbled accross this thread), but another helpful thing is to perhaps find a custom skin. The default hit300/hit100/hit50 are quite big and can hinder gameplay in beatmaps where notes keep overlapping if you are not used the game yet. Other than that is just practice.
/quote]

winber1 is right, try finding skin that hit300/100/50 doesnt hide the next circle.. It can improve your visibilty on the circle. :D
Topic Starter
Espionage724

Miya wrote:

winber1 wrote:

/quote]

winber1 is right, try finding skin that hit300/100/50 doesnt hide the next circle.. It can improve your visibilty on the circle. :D
yea I think this minimal skin I'm using is doing quite well :)

in other news, that one part on Morning Arch (specifically, that part I failed at previously in the Xfire video), I managed to hit that part perfectly twice :D (out of 4-5 tries I think, but progress is progress)... but my streaming could still use work :/
ziin
don't feel bad, that song is poorly done with lots of overmapping. It's only natural the rhythms don't make sense, because the author didn't follow the song.

It's not the worst I've seen, but it's still pretty bad.
Wishy
That Marisa map is shit.
CXu

Wishy22 wrote:

That Marisa map is not shit.
: D
D33d
I'd like to add my own input that you shouldn't worry too much about awkward maps. As you get more of a feel for the game, you'll find that some maps (even ranked maps) are just sloppy and have little in the way of a defined musical feel. Ranked maps only need to be playable at all, so there is the occasional map which simply plays badly.

Using smaller hitbursts is definitely helpful in general, but you'll come across custom skins which force large hitbursts. 'Omen' by The Prodigy is an example of that, especially because its hitbursts obscure some of the more aggressive overlaps.
Xaffy
Use no video and turn off combobursts, also don't use default 300/100/50hits but that's been mentioned already.
Miya

Xafnia wrote:

Use no video and turn off combobursts, also don't use default 300/100/50hits but that's been mentioned already.
Agree.. Turn of the video from option rather to use no video mod, if you always keep forgotting to use no video mod.. :)
bwross

Espionage724 wrote:

You can make it even better... use Photoshop/GIMP to reduce the score marker images from 256x256 to 128x128 (which is the size I use, but with numbers from a different skin). While you're there, make a new 1x1 transparent background image and save it... this is very useful for replacing skin elements you want to remove (just removing the file would get you the default version). Personally, I recommend replacing all of the 300 score markers (300, 300k, 300g) with a blank 1x1 image... that way you only get told when you're doing something wrong, which cleans things up a lot more.
Topic Starter
Espionage724

bwross wrote:

Espionage724 wrote:

You can make it even better... use Photoshop/GIMP to reduce the score marker images from 256x256 to 128x128 (which is the size I use, but with numbers from a different skin). While you're there, make a new 1x1 transparent background image and save it... this is very useful for replacing skin elements you want to remove (just removing the file would get you the default version). Personally, I recommend replacing all of the 300 score markers (300, 300k, 300g) with a blank 1x1 image... that way you only get told when you're doing something wrong, which cleans things up a lot more.
Hmm, I actually wondered if this was possible, but I guess it is :p, I'll give this a try one day.

In other news... I almost passed Morning Arch on Insane, but failed on the last beat, which happened to be a spinner... (which, I can spin at around 280-300 RPM, but that doesn't help if my HP bar was already near fail >.>)
silmarilen
im still using the normal osu skin, dont have any problems with that stuff being too big or anything
Topic Starter
Espionage724

silmarilen wrote:

im still using the normal osu skin, dont have any problems with that stuff being too big or anything
Might be just me then, but I tried switching back to the normal osu! skin and I couldn't hit that 1 part in Morning Arch anymore, went back to minimal, succeeded
hoLysoup

CXu wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

That Marisa map is not shit.
: D
: D!
and when you can't get the jumps or order of beats after countless retries, why not just go into editor and see the order of the beats? it's much easier and saves you lots of retry time.
Yuzeyun

Wishy22 wrote:

That Marisa map is shit especially in taiko.
Taiko players will agree.

[/thread]
Topic Starter
Espionage724

_Gezo_ wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

That Marisa map is shit especially in taiko.

[/thread]
Meh, I don't do Taiko, right now anyway...

In other news, I finally passed Morning Arch on Insane, after 573 retries :p
silmarilen

Espionage724 wrote:

_Gezo_ wrote:

[/thread]

O.o
Topic Starter
Espionage724

silmarilen wrote:

O.o
Meh, that was the only beatmap that annoyed me because I couldn't do it.. not sure why, but I made it my objective to pass it :p Next to work on is to be able to pass it all the time everytime... :p
Yuzeyun

Espionage724 wrote:

WHAT THE HELL

THAT'S THE 3RD TIME I SEE THIS NUMBER TODAY

Whatever. Next time try to pass a song after 765 tries if you really manage to do it you're my bro
silmarilen
how long till you have FCed chipscape?