forum

shoot the beat! - self-contained 3D shooter-perspective mod

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Snepif

Hey guys!

I've been learning programming and game design with my brother (AlrdyExists), so we decided to create a fun and free project for the community.

shoot the beat! is what we came up with. We first got into osu! cause our friend promised it would help our FPS games' aim. Granted, it does, but we always wondered what if it was an actual FPS - i.e. cursor centered, moving the camera in a 3D world. What our game does is take your osu! Songs folder and play the maps in a whole different game we built from scratch using Unity. Thus, as long as you have a Songs folder, everything's on our side. Otherwise, you can play the default maps our game already has by default (a.k.a. the osu! copyright free default maps).

As this is barely the first public build, expect bugs, arachnids, small animals and bacteria of all kinds. We will be listening to all of your feedback 🙂

Now the important stuff:

Links:

build 0.1.3 gameplay
build 0.1.0 gameplay
build 0.1.0 gameplay 2
Download first public alpha build (please read the section about known issues and upcoming fixes before playing / reporting a bug)

That's all for now, thanks for reading :) I'll be hanging around listening to your feedback - keep in mind this is my internet speed so uploads/hotfixes will take some time.
Nitrous
This looks neat! I might go for a spin and tell my opinions later.
Caput Mortuum
this gives me motion sickness
Ryoid
Hmn.......intresting,maybe i can try it when i have a time
Topic Starter
Snepif

Eraser wrote:

this gives me motion sickness
Make sure to play around with the playfield brightness and note brightness values in the graphics menu! We're working on improving that aspect though.
foggy
I think this should be a VR attachment to osu but not its own mode with Ranks.
Nitrous

foggy wrote:

I think this should be a VR attachment to osu but not its own mode with Ranks.
McOsu got you covered with that.

On another note, Gives strain on the eyes when played for the first time. I'd prefer if the objects such as hit circles, sliders, approach circle and slider balls are 2D sprites. Feels convoluted and causes unnecessary strain on the system. Either ways, good luck with your project! Seems interesting to take osu! on this perspective.
Aurele
This was pretty fun to test! Not suggesting for those with coordination issues :p

Good luck!
peppy
Nice job!
Topic Starter
Snepif
Thanks for the feedback guys. I created a public discord server for bug reports, feedback, or general discussion. Also forgot to say, anyone is welcomed to work with us on the project - it's barely on testing stage so far, so it needs a lot yet. It's not open source yet cause it's not very polished and it lacks documentation (it was rushed as a school project initially), but just talk to me and we can work it out :)

Edit: and about the motion sickness, I've been getting that a lot. However, back when we started it was way worse in this aspect, and we've been consistently improving that, so my bet is that it won't go away 100% but it can be reduced dramatically. I really suggest playing with the FoV and brightness values, it helps a ton.
Mempler
Well, Extremly nice Project!
Krodziak
Well, Its a really good project! 10/10 -Krodu
Drimzi_old
It's awesome. :D

Some suggestions:
Move the camera further back
Add a search filter for songs
Add relax mod
Add double time mod
Option for no hitcircle on slider tails
Allow sensitivity with as many decimals as possible (have to hex edit the registry value for now)
Add exclusive fullscreen support (-window-mode exclusive launch parameter works for now)
Add an FPS limiter (for GSYNC, which is supported with fullscreen exclusive command above)

Really, the biggest issue is how close the player camera is to the playfield. You can remedy this by raising the FOV at the cost of severe rectilinear distortion. If you move it further back, it would be a massive improvement.

Discord link is expired btw.
LukeTheDude
s
machspeed
will a shoot the beat mode come to osu lazer?
abraker

machspeed wrote:

will a shoot the beat mode come to osu lazer?
If somebody decides to code it up for osu!, yea