forum

How can I create a star using the rotation tool?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
__Phantomhive__
So, I wanted to create a star and I know that I have to rotatate 2 circles by 72° but somehow it doesn't work for me.
Am I doing something wrong?
Endaris
If nothing helps you can use the "Create Polygon" function of the editor (found in the menutab "Compose") and Ctrl-G circles until the order is correct.
Topic Starter
__Phantomhive__
Thanks for replying, but "create polygon" kinda sucks imo, so i'll send some pictures in order to make my problem more clear.^^
Topic Starter
__Phantomhive__
Okay, basic 2 circles:
Then copy, paste and rotated by 72° it looks like this:
And now I can't even copy, past and rotate it again because I'm out of space.
I guess I'm doing a very stupid mistake lol

EDIT: It this correct, do I have to place the next circle on (2) ?
Endaris
Considering how much you are struggling I think you should really just do the "Create Polygon" method...

how to
1. Set Beatsnap-Divisor to the snapping you want for the star pattern (usually 1/2)
2. Create Polygon, adjust spacing and angle to your needs

3. Ctrl+G with the following circles selected (or any other combination of 3 Ctrl+G commands):
Step1: 2 and 5
Step2: 1 and 5
Step3: 4 and 5

Now you got a perfect star pattern that you can still scale, rotate and everything.

Using rotation you would have to start with only one circle because rotation is either determined by the position relative to the middle or for sliders by the sliderhead.
With rotation
You can place one circle on the y-axis, copy it to the next tick and rotate that one by 144°

Then copy both of these circles onto the next 2 snaps and rotate them by 288°

Then copy the y-axis symmetric circle (here the bottom right one) to the last snap and Ctrl+H. Done. But if you ask me, create polygons is more convenient, because you don't have to remember a set of numbers and there is no danger of accidently deleting notes by scrolling to the wrong tick for pasting etc.
Topic Starter
__Phantomhive__
Thank you for the detailed explanation, now I know how to make star.^^